You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Virtues

Dr Nowt

I thought it was brilliant but one minor criticism was that I think too much information was crammed into that last episode.

I'll maybe watch it all again in a month to see if I still feel the same. Best thing on tv in a long time though.

Shane Meadows is one seriously talented writer and director. His ability to cast his own stuff and then draw out world class performances from his actors is amazing. 

The Vicky McClure/Johnny Harris/Stephen Graham scenes in This Is England ‘86 are the best performances I’ve ever seen in any medium. Visceral, brutal shit but compellingly human too. 

However, some of the scenes in this pushed it close - and not just the tough stuff either. I loved the family table stuff - those kids were incredibly naturalistic - and Helen Behan was amazing throughout, but especially when she caught Joseph and Dina almost at it.

A mate texted me the exact same bit that had had me pissing myself:

"I'll be doing a sweep every half an hour to make sure your youth club quality tits stay under your fucking t-shirt." 

I thought the whole last episode was very clever writing, highlighting the lack of easy answers to all that paedo shit and forcing us to acknowledge our own premature assumptions about it all. 

Clever as well to hit the catholic church from a totally different angle on a topic that’s just as awful, but which has actually damaged far more people than the paedophilia scandals. 

Have to say I found Dina’s ending personally unsatisfying and was expecting the much mentioned but never visible brother of the last half hour to appear in time. That he didn’t makes the show all the more hard hitting. However, I still found the specific action that she used odd - even allowing for the hints of her MMA skills - but went with it in the end. 

All in all though, this was easily the best telly of the year - the superb, but over-rated Chernobyl included - and I’ll be amazed if it’s matched, never mind bettered. I say again, what a talent. 

• Upvote 2

Helen Behan simmering her way through that whole bit in the car then back at the house was sublime.

Never felt like you’re watching someone acting, because every bar of it is utterly believable as someone’s natural reaction. The very opposite of scenery-chewing.

Was pissing myself at the quotes above and the whole scene in general.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Shane Meadows is one seriously talented writer and director. His ability to cast his own stuff and then draw out world class performances from his actors is amazing. 

The Vicky McClure/Johnny Harris/Stephen Graham scenes in This Is England ‘86 are the best performances I’ve ever seen in any medium. Visceral, brutal shit but compellingly human too. 

However, some of the scenes in this pushed it close - and not just the tough stuff either. I loved the family table stuff - those kids were incredibly naturalistic - and Helen Behan was amazing throughout, but especially when she caught Joseph and Dina almost at it.

A mate texted me the exact same bit that had had me pissing myself:

"I'll be doing a sweep every half an hour to make sure your youth club quality tits stay under your fucking t-shirt." 

I thought the whole last episode was very clever writing, highlighting the lack of easy answers to all that paedo shit and forcing us to acknowledge our own premature assumptions about it all. 

Clever as well to hit the catholic church from a totally different angle on a topic that’s just as awful, but which has actually damaged far more people than the paedophilia scandals. 

Have to say I found Dina’s ending personally unsatisfying and was expecting the much mentioned but never visible brother of the last half hour to appear in time. That he didn’t makes the show all the more hard hitting. However, I still found the specific action that she used odd - even allowing for the hints of her MMA skills - but went with it in the end. 

All in all though, this was easily the best telly of the year - the superb, but over-rated Chernobyl included - and I’ll be amazed if it’s matched, never mind bettered. I say again, what a talent. 

That's a great point, Teach.

I’d waited until I had all 4 episodes series linked so I could binge watch it all in one go. 

I watched the first episode tonight and I was a fucking emotional wreck after it. Was balling my eyes out within 10 minutes! 

An episode a day is the absolute maximum I reckon. 

• 3 years later...
14 minutes ago, Mook said:

I just re-watched this on All4 and it's maybe better than I remembered it, which is saying something.

'Youth club tits' still a highlight.

The scene in the pub in the first episode is amazing and really relatable in the way things just spiral out of control and end up fucking him up.

11 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The scene in the pub in the first episode is amazing and really relatable in the way things just spiral out of control and end up fucking him up.

I think the scene where he meets his abuser was extremely realistic too. He makes an arse of it & doesn't get the pay off he was hoping for, kinda sums life up.

• Upvote 1