You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

Andy Robertson believes Liverpool will send Manchester City the clearest title message yet if Jurgen Klopp’s side can go to Wolves on Friday night and claim another three points.

Liverpool returned to the top of the table with their 3-1 win over Manchester United on Sunday and now lead City by a point again with the title battle increasingly looking like a two-horse race.

Third-placed Tottenham are already six points off the pace with Chelsea eight adrift and it seems Liverpool and City are going to be the ones exchanging blows at the top.

Robertson is confident they can hold off the challenge of Pep Guardiola’s side, and they could extend their lead to four points with a win at Wolves on Friday.

“We are in December, we know how tough this period is but we are top of the league. We have just got to keep this period going,” he said.

“We know how good Man City are – we have a bit of a gap that has opened up now (to third) – and the two of us are close to each other but we believe we can stay top.

“There is a long way to go and we still have to play big games, starting on Friday night and we hopefully move on from there.”

Robertson’s energy against United drew this admiring observation from Jose Mourinho on Sunday, but the Reds defender insists all that matters for the Reds are the games to come – not what has happened already.

“It has been a huge few weeks,” he added. “People maybe looked at the fixtures and thought ‘Everton, it’s a derby, always tough, Bournemouth, always tough, Napoli was a must-win and Man Utd speaks for itself’.

“We have come out unscathed but we need to move on from that. We can’t just say ‘four games we have played well’ and take our eye off the ball.

“We need to stay focused 100 per cent and look forward to the challenge at Wolves who have done well this season.”

1 hour ago, scudger99 said:

"Snide away, and give it all you've got....."

If you want to talk about snide, how about dredging old posts up out of context, years after the fact, to incite a bit of trouble?

Go back and read the discussion, and all the other discussions at the time, and you'll see the target of my ire was not a player I barely knew anything about, but the stinginess of the owners.

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

If you want to talk about snide, how about dredging old posts up out of context, years after the fact, to incite a bit of trouble?

Go back and read the discussion, and all the other discussions at the time, and you'll see the target of my ire was not a player I barely knew anything about, but the stinginess of the owners.

You called him “a shit Championship full back”.

It’s there for everyone to see SD.

You would have a lot more respect around here (and a lot less of the negs you feel so strongly about) if you just for once owned your shit.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

You would have a lot more respect around here (and a lot less of the negs you feel so strongly about) if you just for once owned your shit.

And being sceptical about a fullback that virtually none of us have heard of is hardly a big embarrassment, is it? I didn't know who the cunt was until about 6 weeks ago. 

41 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I'm happy to own things when appropriate. Nobody can predict how good a player will be with 100% accuracy. If they could, they'd be the highest paid scout in the world.

I thought Fernando Morientes and Julian Dicks would be ace for us. I never imagined Joe Gomez would be as good a centre half as he is.

But anyone who thinks I was professing an authoritative opinion on Robertson, a player I knew next to nothing about, needs to give their head a wobble.

• Downvote 1

I was against us signing Salah. 2 reasons. 1, he fucked us off for Chelsea and 2, he was shit at Chelsea anyway. 

I don't remember having much of an opinion on Robbo at the time. Tell you what though, not many would have predicted he would be anywhere near the level he has got too so no shame in being massively wrong SD. 

9 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I'm happy to own things when appropriate. Nobody can predict how good a player will be with 100% accuracy. If they could, they'd be the highest paid scout in the world.

I thought Fernando Morientes and Julian Dicks would be ace for us. I never imagined Joe Gomez would be as good a centre half as he is.

But anyone who thinks I was professing an authoritative opinion on Robertson, a player I knew next to nothing about, needs to give their head a wobble.

Ah, so the people lacking judgement in this scenario is not you for writing that Robertson is “a shit Championship full back”, it’s those people who read you write that Robertson is a “shit Championship full back” and then assumed it meant that was your opinion?

Thank you for the guidance on how to read your future posts on this forum.

• Downvote 1

Or you could just try reading posts contemporaneously, in context, rather than in isolation 18 months after the fact.

All the threads at the time were riven with frustration that we weren't using our Champions League status to sign players with that kind of pedigree. This one was no exception.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Or you could just try reading posts contemporaneously, in context, rather than in isolation 18 months after the fact.

All the threads at the time were riven with frustration that we weren't using our Champions League status to sign players with that kind of pedigree. This one was no exception.

Cheap excuse for you being a snidey cunt.  That's the long and short of it, whatever shit excuse you try to conjure up.

I've never really paid attention to your posts before, but judging by what's followed on you've obviously got history in the snide department. 

Just now, scudger99 said:

Cheap excuse for you being a snidey cunt.  That's the long and short of it, whatever shit excuse you try to conjure up.

I've never really paid attention to your posts before, but judging by what's followed on you've obviously got history in the snide department. 

Yeah, because dredging up posts from last year out of context isn't remotely snide, is it.

• Downvote 1

Our definitions of snide behaviour obviously differ.

I'm also not in the habit of writing players off just because I think FSG didn't pay what I consider to be an appropriate fee for a Champions League club to be forking out, or because that player came from a lower league or club.

You don't like being called a snidey cunt ?

Tip : don't make snidey cunt comments.  Or develop a thicker skin.

The funniest thing is that FSG have absolutely shutdown any doubters about their intent.  We had years and years of people whinging about them spending.  Klopp time and time again came out and said if he wants to spend money within reason then it’s their for him spend.

A couple of the more reasonable minded at the time said that it looked like Klopp felt he could qualify for the champions league with the players he had and didn’t want to blow loads of money on players that would need replacing in a years time when/if we qualified for the champions league and wanted to go to the next level and win the league/CL.  The club was haemorrhaging money on shite players every single year before he arrived.  He came in worked with what he had and then when we got to the champions league we went out and spent big money when it was necessary.

The other side of FSG in terms of the treatment of fans etc is obviously still up for debate but raging mongs like SD have had to shut up because they clearly are here to win the major trophies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The funniest thing is that FSG have absolutely shutdown any doubters about their intent.  We had years and years of people whinging about them spending.  Klopp time and time again came out and said if he wants to spend money within reason then it’s their for him spend.

A couple of the more reasonable minded at the time said that it looked like Klopp felt he could qualify for the champions league with the players he had and didn’t want to blow loads of money on players that would need replacing in a years time when/if we qualified for the champions league and wanted to go to the next level and win the league/CL.  The club was haemorrhaging money on shite players every single year before he arrived.  He came in worked with what he had and then when we got to the champions league we went out and spent big money when it was necessary.

The other side of FSG in terms of the treatment of fans etc is obviously still up for debate but raging mongs like SD have had to shut up because they clearly are here to win the major trophies.

In fairness, we have self-funded much of the investment ourselves, with large incomings from Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho. FSG have done well with transfers overall, but I reckon if we had kept those three players, along with the stars we’ve brought in since, we would’ve won at least one big trophy. 

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

In fairness, we have self-funded much of the investment ourselves, with large incomings from Suarez, Sterling and Coutinho. FSG have done well with transfers overall, but I reckon if we had kept those three players, along with the stars we’ve brought in since, we would’ve one at least one big trophy. 

This year is literally the first one in which we've actually started to spend what we bring in. Apparently I'm a bad guy for not predicting this would happen a year before it actually did.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

This year is literally the first one in which we've actually started to spend what we bring in. Apparently I'm a bad guy for not predicting this would happen a year before it actually did.

Nah you’re a “bad guy”, for dismissing Robbo out of hand wihout having seen him play enough. Not a huge crime, as I said earlier I didn’t want Salah.

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

Just accept you are an opinionated blert like everyone else on here and stop giving a fuck about your internet reputation. Be a weight off your shoulders. 

Just now, aRdja said:

Nah you’re a “bad guy”, for dismissing Robbo out of hand wihout having seen him play enough. Not a huge crime, as I said earlier I didn’t want Salah.

I didn't dismiss him out of hand though, QED. I was having a dig at FSG.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Just accept you are an opinionated blert like everyone else on here and stop giving a fuck about your internet reputation. Be a weight off your shoulders. 

I accept it already, I just won't have people claiming things that aren't true.

I think that thinking that Julian Dicks would be ace is more embarrassing than thinking Robertson wouldn't be. But people would sooner slam me for the latter, which isn't even what I thought at the time. It's lame.

• Downvote 1