You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fascinating Liverpool pictures

stringvest

This brings back memories.

FSAJ0FSXMAIh4hX?format=jpg&name=large

Right and left and under that section was rather dark water, especially under the arches.

As a kid I was fascinated with monster films but loved and was scared of both the giant squid in 20000 Leagues Under The Sea, and the giant octopi in Warlords Of Atlantis and other films.

My dad used to take me to the Pier Head quite often. We were poor so it was a day out just to see the Mersey. When we’d walk along we’d finish up by walking up that.

In the water on the right hand side, something would cause air to bubble up occasionally, and my dad convinced me it was a giant octopus living down there, probably to keep me from leaning over the rail and falling in. I’d be shitting it whenever we walked past it, but I’d always want to look to see if I could catch a glimpse of it lurking at the surface.

Anyway, one day we are starting to walk up and there are police and divers on that side pulling a man’s body out of the water. I immediately started pulling at my dad and pointing and saying, to the bewilderment of everyone stood there, “look, the giant octopus got him!” Needless to say I was hauled away from the area sharpish.

Now I realise the poor bastard was either a suicide or drowning, but a cautionary tale for parents having their fun.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Right and left and under that section was rather dark water, especially under the arches.

As a kid I was fascinated with monster films but loved and was scared of both the giant squid in 20000 Leagues Under The Sea, and the giant octopi in Warlords Of Atlantis and other films.

My dad used to take me to the Pier Head quite often. We were poor so it was a day out just to see the Mersey. When we’d walk along we’d finish up by walking up that.

In the water on the right hand side, something would cause air to bubble up occasionally, and my dad convinced me it was a giant octopus living down there, probably to keep me from leaning over the rail and falling in. I’d be shitting it whenever we walked past it, but I’d always want to look to see if I could catch a glimpse of it lurking at the surface.

Anyway, one day we are starting to walk up and there are police and divers on that side pulling a man’s body out of the water. I immediately started pulling at my dad and pointing and saying, to the bewilderment of everyone stood there, “look, the giant octopus got him!” Needless to say I was hauled away from the area sharpish.

Now I realise the poor bastard was either a suicide or drowning, but a cautionary tale for parents having their fun.

Brilliant !

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Ha ha

A girl I worked with used to put the shits up her kids when going through the Mersey Tunnel by telling them to keep an eye out in case the ceiling was collapsing, and then squirting the window wiper water, shouting and speeding up.

• Upvote 4

I did use the ferry from Seacombe when I lived in New Brighton for a time, as I worked in what used to be called the MDHC building on the Pier Head.   I used to do the morning circular walk with the rest of the commuters on the top deck.  It was the most fantastic way to get to work.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Tell me more, Tell me more...

on a drunken walk back from the Hanover street pubs to the Old Haymarket to get the last bus, I thought it might be fun to tip the bin up and roll it towards Owen Owen's window.  Little did I know a van full of bizzies noticed this and chased us through St John's precinct.  I was underage as well, so ended up in front of the magistrates the following morning.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, stringvest said:

on a drunken walk back from the Hanover street pubs to the Old Haymarket to get the last bus, I thought it might be fun to tip the bin up and roll it towards Owen Owen's window.  Little did I know a van full of bizzies noticed this and chased us through St John's precinct.  I was underage as well, so ended up in front of the magistrates the following morning.

How many guineas was your fine?

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

I used to wonder if those dodgy hotdog sellers ever did any business given the Kip of them. Probably loads once people were drunk.

I remember one of those fellas opening a bag of rolls and them all spilling out on the ground outside Anfield and the cunt picking them up and cramming them back in the bag quick probably hoping nobody noticed. 

No thank you very much.

7 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember one of those fellas opening a bag of rolls and them all spilling out on the ground outside Anfield and the cunt picking them up and cramming them back in the bag quick probably hoping nobody noticed. 

No thank you very much.

A bit of Mustard and Onions no? Where did they wash their hands after a slash? 

16 minutes ago, stringvest said:

they were like the hot dog equivalent of a Five Guys burger

I'll take your word for it.

There used to be a van flogging burgers, hot dogs etc parked up near the taxi office in Old Skem at chucking out time years back.

It was known as Hughies because that was the sound you'd be making when you were throwing up not long after. 

• Upvote 1