You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Happy random acts of kindness day

Champ

If anyone wants an idea, The Woolstess has just started working at a hostel for a homeless charity. Apparently they get donated loads of boxes of tea bags, more than can be drunk, and plenty of clothes, but they are very short of bed linen for single beds and socks. I'm gonna guess this might be similar around the country, so if you have either of those things spare, then a homeless charity might be grateful recipients. 

• Upvote 2

A few weeks ago, ironically it must have been around this day, but The Woolstess was listening to the audio book of Davina McCall's autobiography (with her reading) whilst she was cleaning. She had got it for free with a different purchase, but I have no idea why she was bothering to actually listen. Anyways, there is a section on random acts of kindness, and she says that when she goes through a toll road, she pays for the person behind her, even if its the Severn Bridge, "which is quite expensive", and at Disney its $15!

I was literally crying with tears, just the way she was saying it was so funny, the sincerity of the multimillionaire pointing out that she even does it on the 'expensive' Severn Bridge.

Probably not the right thread for laughing at someone doing something nice, but there you go

I'd be both amazed and horrified if McCall is a multi-millionaire. 

I'd be both amazed and horrified if McCall is a multi-millionaire. 

Eernt loads of money from BB when she did it, also did Million Pound drop, and Got to Dance on Sky, now doing The Jump and some other Sat night prime time ITV show. Has probably released a fitness DVD every year for the last 10 years, some of which have been best sellers, and has recently been doing healthy cook books. She will comfortably be a millionaire

Guest Pistonbroke

Eernt loads of money from BB when she did it, also did Million Pound drop, and Got to Dance on Sky, now doing The Jump and some other Sat night prime time ITV show. Has probably released a fitness DVD every year for the last 10 years, some of which have been best sellers, and has recently been doing healthy cook books. She will comfortably be a millionaire

Apparently worth over 3 million. Didn't she say the other year that her kids would get nothing as she plans on spending it all? Probably on crack when she is too old to land a tv role and goes back to her old skanky habits. 

I can't stand Davina McCall.

Same here. 

If anyone wants an idea, The Woolstess has just started working at a hostel for a homeless charity. Apparently they get donated loads of boxes of tea bags, more than can be drunk, and plenty of clothes, but they are very short of bed linen for single beds and socks. I'm gonna guess this might be similar around the country, so if you have either of those things spare, then a homeless charity might be grateful recipients.

You should put that sock appeal out in Kirkby....

I'm glad this thread was boosted as I'd missed Arl Arse's post from February. Good on you, AA.

Woolster, when you say bed linen are you talking sheets and pillowcases, or also duvets?

• Upvote 1

I've never liked body piercing. Anything more than one piercing per ear is a no-no, in my opinion.

I'm pretty much the same but a wee one in the side of a girl's nose does unspeakable things to me.

mellisa-clarke-nose-piercing.jpg

Ooft.

I'm glad this thread was boosted as I'd missed Arl Arse's post from February. Good on you, AA.

Woolster, when you say bed linen are you talking sheets and pillowcases, or also duvets?

The homeless medical support team here ran a similar appeal at Christmas for socks and shoes. Such a seemingly simple thing but the feedback we got was that the donations are hugely appreciated. How many have posted in the small pleasures thread about the feeling you get putting on a new pair of socks for the first time?

Off home for a few weeks on Sunday. Volunteered to give free English lessons to the small number of refugees in the town (and a few other people that have moved here from abroad).

Make sure you throw in the phrases "case of the bad shithouse aids" and "galactic thundercunts" they will no doubt need them.

She's only been there a couple of weeks and I am extrapolating her brief experience to the rest of the homeless charities in the country here, but I think any homeless charity which has links with a hostel would like sheets, duvets and pillowcases. All the bed stuff at her place gets washed once a week, and as they don't have enough spares it all needs to get washed and dried in one day, and I think they have a volunteer who comes in and spends 8 hours doing it.

She spent a few hours shadowing the reception desk, and said there were quite a few people asking about socks. They get donated a fair amount of clothing (some of it designer. If you've ever seen a homeless person wearing nice clothes and wondered what's going on there, that might be why), but I guess if I'm like the average person, I wear socks until they get holes in them and then chuck em, whereas clothes which might not fit or a I just stop wearing, I'll give to charity.

Had a flyer through the door looking for volunteers to go litter picking in the park behind us the first Saturday of the month.

Gave the bloke a call and put my name down, can take the dog with me for a couple of hours, gets him walked and tidies up the park I walk him in so an all-round winner.

• Upvote 2

Had a flyer through the door looking for volunteers to go litter picking in the park behind us the first Saturday of the month.

Gave the bloke a call and put my name down, can take the dog with me for a couple of hours, gets him walked and tidies up the park I walk him in so an all-round winner.

So you're going dogging?

• Upvote 2