You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Do klopps words reassure anyone on here?

Does anybody still believe he's about to walk because of our perceived inactivity or bumbling in the transfer market?

Did his words reassure when last season we were forced to start Lucas at centre half or when we were forced to put out benches like this:

Substitutes

1 Karius

12 Gomez

16 Grujic

18 Moreno

57 Brewster

58 Woodburn

66 Alexander-Arnold

That bench is from a game Lucas started in midfield in (the loss at home to Palace) where chasing the game all we could bring on in the last 15 mins was TAA, Moreno, Grujic.

Reason? Our shocking lack of squad depth to handle injuries - this coming season what is at the moment effectively the same squad has the additional demands of Europe to deal with.

No i am not reassured at present - I don't see him walking though, i do wonder why we as a a club appear to be in no rush to act though.

• Upvote 2

The point above about squad depth is well made. We had some subs benches last season where you wondered who would be able to change a game, if needed.

Fast forward to today, and we have added Salah and Solanke. Our options to have another game changer, either on the pitch or on the bench, have thus increased over last season. I'm reasonably happy with what we've done there.

Now for the defence and midfield...

Did his words reassure when last season we were forced to start Lucas at centre half or when we were forced to put out benches like this:

Substitutes

1 Karius

12 Gomez

16 Grujic

18 Moreno

57 Brewster

58 Woodburn

66 Alexander-Arnold

That bench is from a game Lucas started in midfield in (the loss at home to Palace) where chasing the game all we could bring on in the last 15 mins was TAA, Moreno, Grujic.

Reason? Our shocking lack of squad depth to handle injuries - this coming season what is at the moment effectively the same squad has the additional demands of Europe to deal with.

No i am not reassured at present - I don't see him walking though, i do wonder why we as a a club appear to be in no rush to act though.

How many were out injured for that game? We probably had a better bench unavailable.

How many were out injured for that game? We probably had a better bench unavailable.

And that is exactly the point isn't it....if we struggled to get decent sides out due to injuries last season we will struggle again this - especially given players records on the injury front and the additional demands that europe will bring.

So surely we should be strengthening...as it stands we are a single knock away from Klavan or Gomez starting for us....is that sustainable fighting on 4 fronts?

And that is exactly the point isn't it....if we struggled to get decent sides out due to injuries last season we will struggle again this - especially given players records on the injury front and the additional demands that europe will bring.

So surely we should be strengthening...as it stands we are a single knock away from Klavan or Gomez starting for us....is that sustainable fighting on 4 fronts?

We're going to sign a centre back and another attacker. Whether it's the ones we've been after remains to be seen. Plus we've added 3 to the bench including Robertson.

We were particularly unlucky with injuries last year.

We're going to sign a centre back and another attacker. Whether it's the ones we've been after remains to be seen. Plus we've added 3 to the bench including Robertson.

We were particularly unlucky with injuries last year.

I wouldn't say we were especially unlucky it just felt like that because squad is so thin..

As for bench all that has happened is Robertson is coming to replace Bert Moron - we have lost Lucas who covered two positions and we have added another kid.

Salah is a good buy and ok he improves our attacking options - we are as of now no better off in defence or midfield, only arguably worse off.

Time of course will tell - i have little faith we will do enough to bolster squad.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say we were especially unlucky it just felt like that because squad is so thin..

As for bench all that has happened is Robertson is coming to replace Bert Moron - we have lost Lucas who covered two positions and we have added another kid.

Salah is a good buy and ok he improves our attacking options - we are as of now no better off in defence or midfield, only arguably worse off.

Time of course will tell - i have little faith we will do enough to bolster squad.

I think at one stage we had - Henderson, Coutinho, Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Matip (missing), Can, all unavailable at the same stage for a few weeks. 

With Mane in Africa, we lost Lallana and Coutinho to injury (or recovering). 

Not even mentioning Sturridge, Ings in that! 

I remember Chelsea losing Alonso against United and they were fucked! I think you are right that we did have a small squad, but - we were also unlucky with injuries & and in light of not having Europe it was a fair assumption. 

But hopefully we have learned our lesson now. 

As I said earlier - there is absolutely no proof at all that they will not bolster the squad. The only question is whether it is with players whom are good enough! 

Attacking options have improved with Salah, and a bit more depth with Solanke, though to be fair it's unlikely we will depend on the latter too much just yet. But he should see some first team action in domestic cups, and if he gets on the bench in some Prem games because he is taking his chance, then good luck to the lad. But with Salah in particular, attacking options have improved.

Midfield? Nothing doing there yet. The midfield is pretty good, but we still hope for improvement. Keita would be ace. Several like the look of Goretzka if Keita not possible. But so far nothing doing.

Defence is the worst of the three and needs a top central defender as a matter of urgency, to my mind. Robertson for Moreno improves us, and while not a glamorous signing, it's obvious the manager doesn't rate Moreno. But it's not nearly enough improvement yet.

VVD makes it look so much better at the back, as right now after Matip and Lovren, the dip in quality is too great. And as is well documented, Lovren has his moments, so ideally he goes to third choice with a top partner for Matip coming in. Klavan becomes fourth choice, to be displaced by Gomez if the youngster kicks on to what we were seeing pre injury.

Our business isn't done yet, so we shouldn't be drawing too many conclusions just yet. As things stand we need a central defender as top priority, then a central midfielder would be nice. And we don't need to lose any players we're not expecting to. So losing the likes of Markovic, Sakho, Moreno won't make any difference as they didn't feature last season.