You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

I'm very conflicted.

On the one hand, I'm desperate for Keita and van Dijk to use player power to force their clubs to sell to us, even if they have to do it kicking and screaming.

On the other hand, I'm terrified of Phillipe doing the same thing to us.

Dilemma.

It's easy.

It's ok if players do it to join us, but they're cunts if they use it to leave us.  See how this works? Superb.

• Upvote 3

Let's be fucking honest here gents.

Since FSG have been at the helm, we've been playing the windows very tight.  Understandably, with the renovations to Anfield, but who actually thought they'd come out and spunk 150m this window?

By all acounts, VVD was our main target, we've bid 66m for Keita, and we've spent what... 39m on Salah?

Who thought we would spend 100m+ this summer? 150m+?  

I wouldn't be surprised if Coutinho's head turned when Barca talked about him at the beginning of summer, and Philippe made a professional response about being happy at the club/time on deal/etc.

I half think that the club has an eye on Coutinho moving after we finish our transfer business...  which suddenly is taking forever to do.

There is certainly a suspicion of that, but given that he's just signed a new contract then there is no pressure on us to sell him this summer. And at the moment he's given no public indication that he is desperate to leave now.

If we do sell him then it'll be because he says he wants to go. Or I guess Barcelona put in a ridiculous offer.

There is certainly a suspicion of that, but given that he's just signed a new contract then there is no pressure on us to sell him this summer. And at the moment he's given no public indication that he is desperate to leave now.

If we do sell him then it'll be because he says he wants to go.

Think he's too nice a fella to say anything publically but privately, I reckon he'd be desperate for the move. Playing with Luis and Messi? Who wouldn't.

Think he's too nice a fella to say anything publically but privately, I reckon he'd be desperate for the move. Playing with Luis and Messi? Who wouldn't.

Yeah agreed, but unless we get a much improved offer then it would take him publicly throwing his toys out of the pram to move.

Personally I reckon anything over 100 million and he'll be sold.

Let's be fucking honest here gents.

Since FSG have been at the helm, we've been playing the windows very tight. Understandably, with the renovations to Anfield, but who actually thought they'd come out and spunk 150m this window?

By all acounts, VVD was our main target, we've bid 66m for Keita, and we've spent what... 39m on Salah?

Who thought we would spend 100m+ this summer? 150m+?

I wouldn't be surprised if Coutinho's head turned when Barca talked about him at the beginning of summer, and Philippe made a professional response about being happy at the club/time on deal/etc.

I half think that the club has an eye on Coutinho moving after we finish our transfer business... which suddenly is taking forever to do.

I've been suspicious since the get go. All the articles about us spending big appeared at the same time as the season ticket renewal stuff in the media also when it looked like our CL qualification could go either way.

All way too convenient given we've had several seasons of moderating spending much of which funded by sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if us spending big coincides with us selling big in some way shape or form.

people are talking about the actual bid and subsequent negotiation which to be fair seemed to happen quick. Its the same with Lacazette to Arsenal. Rumours for ages but the bids and negotiating were done quite quick by all accounts.

I do agree deals will take time in general though. I just think the evidence isn't on our side when it comes to proving its always the case.

To be fair - we are in Liverpool, we wouldn't see the day to day rumours. There was lots of Arsenal rumours on Lacazette, as there has been about Lemar whom they haven't signed yet!

Maybe if Klopp didn't send a video to VVD we could have put a bid in - but as it was, we had to backtrack pretty quickly. Bit silly to put a bid in for a player whom you've just pulled out of signing! None of which was FSG's fault. 

To be fair - we are in Liverpool, we wouldn't see the day to day rumours. There was lots of Arsenal rumours on Lacazette, as there has been about Lemar whom they haven't signed yet!

Maybe if Klopp didn't send a video to VVD we could have put a bid in - but as it was, we had to backtrack pretty quickly. Bit silly to put a bid in for a player whom you've just pulled out of signing! None of which was FSG's fault.

Yeah but goalposts keep being moved here. The overall point most people are making is the overall strategy has been a balls under their stewardship.

You're spot on in that its not their fault if Klopp or Edwards or someone else fucks up.

But the buck stops with them when it comes to the overall picture.

And also - Barcelona bidding for our player! 

Isn't necessarily about FSG, Klopp, the Echo, James Pearce, Sheep, whomever wanting to sell - it is Barcelona! If they plant £75m on the table (being cunts) it would be hard for Coutinho to turn them down - what we think at this stage is irrelevant! 

I think we will still get VVD - and i think we'll spend more than £100m, sales would make it less net, but so what? Nothing wrong with being prudent - as long as the squad is improved which I am confident it will be. 

Yeah but goalposts keep being moved here. The overall point most people are making is the overall strategy has been a balls under their stewardship.

You're spot on in that its not their fault if Klopp or Edwards or someone else fucks up.

But the buck stops with them when it comes to the overall picture.

It stops with them so far as Ayre was still negotiating after fucking up numerous bids - fuck Gerrards slip, had we got Salah in January that year we would have won the fucking league! 

I do get that. I get distrust of them. What I don't get is laying every single failure at their door - two teams in every negotiation and sometimes you don't get what you want! 

I do not want us to become City. I don't want a billionaire owner - I don't to be part of a pissing contest between a load of billionaires. So i am not really objective over this! 

Renato Sanches. Surely an FSG type of signing instead of Keita? Big talent, tournament success, young but hasnt forced himself into the Bayern team.

He does press really well and Klopp could make him great.

It seems that £43M is the price.

Id take him. Keita looks impossible to me. The world knows that Keita was our fitst choice but with Sanches you could tell him that we never thought his signing was possible.

Sure, he has work to do, but he has alot of quality and is 19.

A couple of you suggested this yesterday and im all in.

Are Barca taking the fucking piss with £72m?

In the current inflated market, Phil is worth at least £150m.

Going on this summers fees, £150m isn't too far off what we should be asking, he's certainly 3 times the player Kyle Walker is. He's only behind Ozil and Silva for me as a No.10 in this league and Ozil has as many bad games as good.

Aldridge speaks.

There is a certain degree of concern among Liverpool fans ahead of the new season - and it is easy to understand why.

When you looked at the substitute bench manager Jurgen Klopp was operating with last season, it was probably the weakest of all the top six clubs in the Premier League.

When a few injuries hit mid-way through the season and Sadio Mane went off to the African Cup of Nations, Liverpool season fell apart in league and cup competitions and that highlighted the fragility of Klopp’s squad.

He continues...

Now he needs some help from the club’s hierarchy to get him a squad that will be equipped to cope with the demands of a long hard season that could include more than 50 games.

Klopp’s squad as it stands now is nowhere near strong enough to even replicate what they did last season as the opposition are signing players that will leave Liverpool trailing in their wake.

I’m not alone in hoping the transfer woes Liverpool have experienced this summer will come to an end very soon.

Any word on whether they'd be willing to take Lallana instead? clearly the superior player, frst name on Klopp's teamsheet and all that.

Yes, I'd like to hear from stringy who has consistently mocked the idea of Barcelona bidding for Phil.

Where's the Lallana bid, stringy?

I reckon he'd know less about that impact than most.

We were rock solid throughout his time with himself and Henchoz and then himself and Carragher.

Granted Houllier and Benitez were much more focused on a solid defence than Klopp, sometimes at the expense of our attack.

Things weren't always plain sailing for Hyypia as you suggest but I was more on about them signing a lot of centre backs over the years to partner him including trying to replace carra at various times over his career.

72m is hilarious. If he does go then being on a five year deal they're going to have to pay more than we need to keep him which is probably double that.

The TV money is going to act as a double edged sword for these cunts now. They want silly money for their players for the English teams but it also means they're going to have to pay silly money themselves for the top players based here. They might be minted but they aren't that minted.

• Upvote 1