You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp interview / press conference thread

Arl arse

Why on earth would a season in which Chelsea have 55 pts after 22 games be his "best chance to win the league"?

To add - as I cannot edit - Chelsea have the highest points total at this stage of the season as any team this decade. That includes Ferguson's United, Mourinho's Chelsea, prime City. To see this as some golden opportunity to win the league based on what has happened to date this season is factually silly.

We, meanwhile, are 14 points ahead of where we were at the equivalent stage last season -- or roughly 40% more points. Huge, undeniable progress.

We have been rebuilding for years now....always seem to be in transition/bedding in a new team etc...then we do ok but fall short and it all then collapses and rinse and repeat.

Look at the aftermath of 2014 for the perfect example.

And here we are 3 years after our best title challenge in years still rebuilding when we should have kicked on after going close.

• Upvote 1

We have been rebuilding for years now....

No we haven't -- we've been in a general, calamitous unceasing decline for much of the decade - one season of inspired chaos apart. If you cannot understand the facts that suggest Klopp has taken this team forward significantly in his tenure, I don't know what to say. This was very predictably going to be a difficult month for the team to come through - February likely will be too. If you're comparing his tenure with the efforts of previous, incomparabe managers then its a meanignless statement. Care for a wager that we'll have our 2nd best points total of the decade come the end of the season?

No we haven't -- we've been in a general, calamitous unceasing decline for much of the decade - one season of inspired chaos apart. If you cannot understand the facts that suggest Klopp has taken this team forward significantly in his tenure, I don't know what to say. This was very predictably going to be a difficult month for the team to come through - February likely will be too. If you're comparing his tenure with the efforts of previous, incomparabe managers then its a meanignless statement. Care for a wager that we'll have our 2nd best points total of the decade come the end of the season?

63, 58, 52, 61, 84, 62, 60

63 to beat....no you are alright - 2014 aside our pts returns so far this decade is a fucking disgrace.

Really brings it home how shite we have been when look at them.

To add - as I cannot edit - Chelsea have the highest points total at this stage of the season as any team this decade. That includes Ferguson's United, Mourinho's Chelsea, prime City. To see this as some golden opportunity to win the league based on what has happened to date this season is factually silly.

We, meanwhile, are 14 points ahead of where we were at the equivalent stage last season -- or roughly 40% more points. Huge, undeniable progress.

We had bottom of the table sunderland and bottom of the table Swansea either side of away to man utd which you'd take a point from.

We should be 5 points behind with Chelsea here on Tuesday night and all our rivals to play at home and a decent run in.

• Upvote 1

There's no sugar coating this, we've had an embarrassing run of results since the Sunderland game to add to the Burnley and Bournemouth games. Football is full of "what ifs" but most of these are "should haves" In our position Utd and Chelsea do not throw away these games like we have.

Who's to blame? I don't know, you can call out the players, the manager, the training regime, lack of squad depth, the owners to a point depending on whether stories of Klopp's reluctance to buy is correct and they're not withholding funds. Whatever it is it needs sorting asap. Come Tuesday 10pm we could be looking at four consecutive losses in just over a week, all at home. Laughing stock? Not quite but we're definitely providing ammunition for the opposition supporters and some sections of the press to have their fun at our expense. Again. I still think Klopp is the guy to sort this and I believe he will but it's just not fun at the moment.

• Upvote 3

Klopp only started building his team here in the last summer window and some people are already complaining about his rebuilding not being complete? Come on.

Give the guy a fucking chance. Whether fans like it or not the winter window isnt the best to do business. Yes, I know we bought judas and Suarez in January windows. How many years were they apart? Shows you dont get often get exceptional signings in January and they were the only players we bought in those respective windows who were any good.

People go on about giving young players a chance yet when they play, they're in the wrong team conveniently forgetting the oppos those young players play against also field weaker teams and they still dont pull up any trees. If they cant do it against weaker lower league teams, why do people think they will be better against full strength PL teams?

Some people will argue different but we got done yesterday by an offside goal inside a minute that no doubt threw Klopp's tactical plans for the team out the window. Shit happens in cups. Ive been consistent in calling for 'the kids' to play in the cups and accept the results.

Im happy Klopp has and is prioritising the league. As for what other clubs fans think of us or that people say we're a laughing stock, since when the fuck have we been bothered what others think?

• Upvote 2

We had bottom of the table sunderland and bottom of the table Swansea either side of away to man utd which you'd take a point from.

We should be 5 points behind with Chelsea here on Tuesday night and all our rivals to play at home and a decent run in.

But there are mitigating factors. Completely unreasonable to expect a 20 pt uplift halfway through the season compared to last season. He has a very small core of very good players, who when they've played together have pretty much swept all before them. Completely predictably (refer to my 2016 posts) we've suffered when the fixtures have piled & some key players missing from the team. The question becomes why haven't we added to them -- my view is because we have owners who have starved the squad for years (see how depleted we were in 13/14 too) & shown committment only to decreasing the wage bill. Others, it seems, think Klopp is to fault -- whatever history tells us about these owners.

You can carry the "we should .." argument to infinity: what we probably had no right to do is beat Arsenal & Chelsea away; do City & Everton; deserve wins at United & Spurs. Swings and roundabouts: the one fact is we have 14 more pts at this stage, and let's see where we are in May.

As for the performances this month, Swansea was truly disappointing, but in Cup games where we've relied on the squad, you wouldn't put a Moët label on a bottle of Babycham and expect it to taste like the real thing. Most of our players below first 11 probably aren't even Championship quality.

But there are mitigating factors. Completely unreasonable to expect a 20 pt uplift halfway through the season compared to last season. He has a very small core of very good players, who when they've played together have pretty much swept all before them. Completely predictably (refer to my 2016 posts) we've suffered when the fixtures have piled & some key players missing from the team. The question becomes why haven't we added to them -- my view is because we have owners who have starved the squad for years (see how depleted we were in 13/14 too) & shown committment only to decreasing the wage bill. Others, it seems, think Klopp is to fault -- whatever history tells us about these owners.

You can carry the "we should .." argument to infinity: what we probably had no right to do is beat Arsenal & Chelsea away; do City & Everton; deserve wins at United & Spurs. Swings and roundabouts: the one fact is we have 14 more pts at this stage, and let's see where we are in May.

As for the performances this month, Swansea was truly disappointing, but in Cup games where we've relied on the squad, you wouldn't put a Moët label on a bottle of Babycham and expect it to taste like the real thing. Most of our players below first 11 probably aren't even Championship quality.

All valid arguments.

Serious title challenges don't come along very often. Poor squad or not, early in his reign or whatever - this is one.

That's why there is so much disappointment.

And I'll just add that I think the belief or at least the hope was that Klopp had us playing like 13/14 but also not conceding as many. So far there is little evidence to suggest he can do that.

All valid arguments.

Serious title challenges don't come along very often. Poor squad or not, early in his reign or whatever - this is one.

That's why there is so much disappointment.

And I'll just add that I think the belief or at least the hope was that Klopp had us playing like 13/14 but also not conceding as many. So far there is little evidence to suggest he can do that.

How can so many be so disappointed when those same people were refusing to acknowledge we were in the title race after we beat city on new year's eve?

And sorry got to laugh at little evidence Klopp can stem the goals conceeded line. He's had ONE summer window and already brought Matip in and tried a new keeper who isnt up to it sadly.

How can so many be so disappointed when those same people were refusing to acknowledge we were in the title race after we beat city on new year's eve?

And sorry got to laugh at little evidence Klopp can stem the goals conceeded line. He's had ONE summer window and already brought Matip in and tried a new keeper who isnt up to it sadly.

It's the old defence mechanism of don't admit it so when it doesn't happen you never thought it was going to happen.

The truth is there's so much doom and gloom about because we were in it.

Also we are playing exactly the same formation as rodgers and we re getting the same results - unbelievable going forward, diabolical at the back and when the goals dry up we lose. I don't understand why this manager is making exactly the same mistakes as the last one.

Most of our players below first 11 probably aren't even Championship quality.

So question is what are we doing as a club about that fact? Answer appears to be next to fuck all....

When the game has become more than ever a squad one why the fuck aren't we building up the depth of the squad....it isn't acceptable to just crash out of the cup like yesterday and say 'oh well we haven't got a good enough squad to cope with cups'....set about building one - we just aren't - I'd say the squad has less depth now than when Rodgers left.

And we are just sitting on our hands doing nothing - seemingly hoping we get no injuries so our first 11 can win the top 4 cup....a laughable strategy by us as a club - corner shop mentallity up against Tesco and The Asda!

Klopp only started building his team here in the last summer window and some people are already complaining about his rebuilding not being complete? Come on.

I doubt he was expecting the form of his back up players to be as abject as it has been either. Klavan has had the odd good game but the rest of them have been consistently awful. Lucas and Sturridge look as if they can't cope with top-flight football anymore, Moreno is still useless and Origi and Çan have been shockingly bad considering how well they played at times last season. Most of them will have to be replaced if the club is to progress but who would bet on us doing that successfully? Not me. Judging by the rumours circulating in this transfer window, the only position we currently want to recruit in is at wide forward, hence the links to the likes of Brandt and Pulisic, we don't seem to be bothered about any of the other positions that need improving. 

It's the old defence mechanism of don't admit it so when it doesn't happen you never thought it was going to happen.

The truth is there's so much doom and gloom about because we were in it.

Also we are playing exactly the same formation as rodgers and we re getting the same results - unbelievable going forward, diabolical at the back and when the goals dry up we lose. I don't understand why this manager is making exactly the same mistakes as the last one.

What a load of tosh, most people didnt acknowledge we were in a title race as late as New Years Eve. I say again, read the threads.

As Ive said, he's had ONE summer window. He's brought in Matip (excellent) and a new keeper (disappointment) to start resolving the defence but he's supposed to have fixed the keeper position, fixed the defence with another Matip quality CB and bought a dedicated left back instead of Milner. Oh, and that's before he's moved Sturridge out, brought in a replacement striker, a tricky winger and new defensive midfielder while also bringing in Mane and Wijnaldum

You expect him to fix all that in ONE summer window? OK, maybe you do, I dont.

What a load of tosh, most people didnt acknowledge we were in a title race as late as New Years Eve. I say again, read the threads.

As Ive said, he's had ONE summer window. He's brought in Matip (excellent) and a new keeper (disappointment) to start resolving the defence but he's supposed to have fixed the keeper position, fixed the defence with another Matip quality CB and bought a dedicated left back instead of Milner. Oh, and that's before he's moved Sturridge out, brought in a replacement striker, a tricky winger and new defensive midfielder while also bringing in Mane and Wijnaldum

how many do you think it will take Jim?

Why just count summer windows? This is the third window.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/klopp-urges-liverpool-fans-keep-12524912

Now I know he can't call them out for what they are - but surely he does not have to call them 'very good' he could just say nothing about squad....surely he does not believe that he has a 'very good squad'.

If he does then we are in trouble

I agree with Klopp's taking responsibility and him picking a team which showed how weak we are behind the first 12 or 13 players in the squad. I am hoping he gets carte blanche when making player changes. I realise its not like Klopp to be openly ruthless but lets hope he is ruthless even if done with little fuss.