You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Arthur Friedenreich said:

I’ll accept he was a mad syphillitic fucker by the time he croaked, but he wasn’t a nazi, wasn’t an anti-Semite, wasn’t all too fond of the Germans, he was a fucking head case and he he was a great phliosopher. His sister was a massive twat. Nietzsche was fucking ok.

He didn't like cats too much.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anny Road said:

By it's very nature the EU is a Political Union. That should not even be up for discussion.

In terms of the future anyone that suspects the EU will participate in some huge devolution of power from the centre must be living in a different world than me. Its whole ethos is centralisation and harmonisation. Europe is ace, its not going anywhere. I just don't want to be in a Political State with Greece and Hungary thanks.

Trade is paramount and I think we will need to take it in the arse to maintain our relationship in this respect. That is a price I am willing to pay. Economic Moggian meltdown not so much.

The EU is a form of political union. So is the UN, the WTO, NATO, etc. The difference is that there is more democratic accountability in the EU. 

The concept of subsidiarity - whereby decisions are made at the most devolved levels, by default  - is hard-wired into the EU.  No Member State would have it any other way. 

The EU will never become a single state, unless the people every Member State decidesthat they want that. That won't happen in my lifetime or yours.

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Did someone above mention democratic accountability when mentioning the EU?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28261959

Are you still hawking that link around, imagining that an article about two members of the House of Lords somehow reflects badly on the EU?

Anyway, who did you vote for in the UN election? Or the NATO election? Or the WTO election?

32 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Anyway, who did you vote for in the UN election? Or the NATO election? Or the WTO election?

Or for that matter once we're out and desperately chasing those unicorns sorry trade deals, the US elections or Chinese communist party elections. Taking back control just not to the courts or parliament either.

Youth unemployment for the eurozone for the few who care...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Portugal, France, Spain and Italy are eye watering. The figures are fucking awful.

To put into some form of context the USA youth unemployment figure from the same period is approx 8%.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Portugal, France, Spain and Italy are eye watering. The figures are fucking awful.

To put into some form of context the USA youth unemployment figure from the same period is approx 8%.

Do you know of the trend since credit-crunch?

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

The EU and Italy getting on like a house on fire..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/07/italy-brussels-money-coalition-italy-eu

No worries, Lord Kinnock and Baroness Warsii will sort it out.

Two questions. 

1. Are you still standing four square with Italy's Fascists?

2. What the fuck do you imagine Baroness Warsi has to do with the EU?

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Those stats include kids in full-time education, not employed and not looking for work. Plus the US stats are based on a differing age range. You'll probably find different results if both sets were measured the same. 

I posted something recently about the varying rates of youth unemployment in the different Member States.  The facts just don't correlate with the puerile and dogmatic "EU bad/non-EU good" line.

Anyone who really gave a shit about youth unemployment would be looking at the facts and trying to find out what's really going on. 

People comparing employment stats between different countries are onto a fools errand to some extent with the amount of people working in the black economy in some countries (i.e. southern European states) and those in the US and UK where 'self-employment' keeps a huge number of people out of the unemployed category who are vastly under-employed.

I was out with a Polish bloke last night, he’s lived in the UK for 13

years. He said he’s already feeling unwelcome in the uk after Brexit.  He’s in charge of a sponsorship scheme for European engineering students and they are rejecting the Uk for placements as they think it’s not welcoming to foreigners.  The upshot of that will mean production moves to the EU. Great work Nigel. 

4 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

years. He said he’s already feeling unwelcome in the uk after Brexit.  He’s in charge of a sponsorship scheme for European engineering students and they are rejecting the Uk for placements as they think it’s not welcoming to foreigners.  The upshot of that will mean production moves to the EU. Great work Nigel. 

Not at all unpredictable.

6 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

It was Cameron who allowed the referendum to go ahead without any proper considerations, not "Nigel".

You voted for Cameron, Rico. It's 'your' party that is responsible for Brexit. 

16 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

It was Cameron who allowed the referendum to go ahead without any proper considerations, not "Nigel".

You voted for Cameron, Rico. It's 'your' party that is responsible for Brexit. 

Here we go again. I’ve never voted for Cameron, the people voted for Brexit, it’s  a complete fuckup, if JC came out for Remain I’d vote for him.  

Its not my party, I vote for whoever suits me.  Just like you.