You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random musical chat.

Carvalho Diablo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought Mr Dynamite on blu ray, a 2hr James Brown documentary produced by Mick Jagger, check out the extras:-

• James Brown and The J.B.'s live on Soul Train, from September 1974, performing an incendiary medley of "Cold Sweat/I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)/Papa's Got A Brand New Bag/The Payback" (7:42)
  • From deep in the Soul Train archive, James Brown in March 1975 interviewed by host Don Cornelius, then joining B.B. King and Bobby "Blue" Bland in an impromptu blues medley, "Goin' Down Slow/Gambler's Blues/It's My Own Fault/I'm Sorry" (7:30)
  • Acclaimed music video for "It's A Man's Man's Man's World," directed by Xavier Fauthoux, winner of the Saatchi & Saatchi James Brown Music Video Challenge (2:46)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mr-dynamite-the-rise-of-james-brown-to-be-released-on-dvd-and-blu-ray-with-exclusive-bonus-features-300154755.html

Fucking get in.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just got in from work and sat listening to The Police's Outlandos d'Amour album. Great record but what is really striking is the brilliant drum sound. Granted, Stewart Copeland is a giant of a drummer, but considering the record is almost 40 years old, the actual sound of the kit is just really fantastic. I especially love the live sounding snare and the great tom fills in Roxanne.

Also always loved Bonzo's humongous live drum sound in When The Levee Breaks. Thunderous bass drum and great reverb on the snare.

Lombardo's quite ominous thunder which is the start to Criminally Insane...

Would love to hear some drummer's opinions on this. Juniper ?

• Upvote 1

I tempted to buy a record player.

Only being 32 i never had one as a kid so know next to notjing about them.

So is it worth it?

Cost of a decent player and then records?

Best place to buy records from at decent price (old stuff blues/60/70s tock etc)

I tempted to buy a record player.

Only being 32 i never had one as a kid so know next to notjing about them.

So is it worth it?

Cost of a decent player and then records?

Best place to buy records from at decent price (old stuff blues/60/70s tock etc)

Vinyl doesn't do it for me mate.

• Upvote 1

Ok

Its the price thats always put me off. The great thing about what i listen too is the price. Multi CD albums of over 70 songs from Elvis,Muddy and Howlin Wolf are about £5 so if the quality isn't significantly better ill stay with CDs/MP3 as its not worth quadrupling the cost

I grew up with records & love them, unfortunately I've never got around to buying my own record player. I think if you want to enjoy the benefit of vinyl then you'd want to go all out on it & would be looking at hundreds for your set up & then (new) records are very expensive these days (say £20 for a Beatles or Pink Floyd album) so it's going to cost you, Lord Flashheart.

In response to CD's post, I love the compressed drum sound on When the levee breaks but always thought Bonham got his best sounds on Led Zeppelin III, on Since I've been loving you (incl. the squeaky bass drum pedal) & Out on the tiles. One thing people don't talk about are the sounds him & Page got from the cymbals as well, listen to the cymbals on Tangerine, fucking stunning.

• Upvote 3

I grew up with records & love them, unfortunately I've never got around to buying my own record player. I think if you want to enjoy the benefit of vinyl then you'd want to go all out on it & would be looking at hundreds for your set up & then (new) records are very expensive these days (say £20 for a Beatles or Pink Floyd album) so it's going to cost you, Lord Flashheart.

In response to CD's post, I love the compressed drum sound on When the levee breaks but always thought Bonham got his best sounds on Led Zeppelin III, on Since I've been loving you (incl. the squeaky bass drum pedal) & Out on the tiles. One thing people don't talk about are the sounds him & Page got from the cymbals as well, listen to the cymbals on Tangerine, fucking stunning.

Great post.

Since I've Been Loving You is my favourite Zeppelin song, love it.

When I was a kid I used to work in some recording studio's as an engineer and got to produce and mix many sessions and demo's for smaller bands, usually on 16 track desks using tape. Got to say that that job actually spoiled my enjoyment of music for quite a while, instead of chilling out and simply enjoying the music I would find myself scrutinising the mix instead, and especially drum sounds and mixes.

There are some albums I love that are all but ruined by dreadful drum sounds or overly loud snare drums.

And Lars Ulrich can take his Tuppaware kit and FOAD. His ears must be painted on, St Anger is just unlistenable.

• Upvote 2

I read a quote from a famous studio engineer (I forget who it was now) but he said that drummers have the best ear for mixing because they set the drums at the right volume & work from there, as a staccato instrument it makes a lot of sense because even if the drums are right up in the mix, they are not interfering too much with the other instruments. Jimmy Page set the template for all the heavier stuff that followed by having the drums so loud in the mix, problem is, if you have a horrible sounding snare or bass drum, you're fucked, which is where people like Lars Ulrich fall down.

I always preferred working backside first tbh, starting with vocals and guitars before bringing in bass and then drums towards the end.

Experience showed that I had to do it that way, otherwise (by starting by mixing the drum sound first) I would invariably run out of headroom for the final vocal and found myself dropping 12 or so faders and the entire instrumentation !

I fucking miss those days !

Mixing two seemingly disparate threads across these last two pages, I always loved the sound of Clyde Stubblefield's drums too. Hypnotic and nailed on.

• Upvote 1

Great post.

Since I've Been Loving You is my favourite Zeppelin song, love it.

When I was a kid I used to work in some recording studio's as an engineer and got to produce and mix many sessions and demo's for smaller bands, usually on 16 track desks using tape. Got to say that that job actually spoiled my enjoyment of music for quite a while, instead of chilling out and simply enjoying the music I would find myself scrutinising the mix instead, and especially drum sounds and mixes.

There are some albums I love that are all but ruined by dreadful drum sounds or overly loud snare drums.

And Lars Ulrich can take his Tuppaware kit and FOAD. His ears must be painted on, St Anger is just unlistenable.

Spot on, St Anger, i have no words for that snare drum sound. I'm not a drummer so i wouldn't really know, but i'm sure there's a key on the drums that i think tightens or loosens the drum head, i'm sure Mook and the other drummers on the site know. He must of loosened the fuck out of it. Horrible, nasally, trebley sound with no bass with these horrible tinny overtones.

The drums on Be Here now are terrible, overly compressed to fuck. The whole record sounds like it's been recorded through a bumblebee and limited to maximum loudness. There are no dynamics in any sound on that record.

Spot on, St Anger, i have no words for that snare drum sound. I'm not a drummer so i wouldn't really know, but i'm sure there's a key on the drums that i think tightens or loosens the drum head, i'm sure Mook and the other drummers on the site know. He must of loosened the fuck out of it. Horrible, nasally, trebley sound with no bass with these horrible tinny overtones.

The drums on Be Here now are terrible, overly compressed to fuck. The whole record sounds like it's been recorded through a bumblebee and limited to maximum loudness. There are no dynamics in any sound on that record.

No idea about Metallica as I don't really listen to them, sounds like he had a horrible snare drum tightened up to fuck from what you're saying but not sure.

I find a lot of metal drum sounds pretty unlistenable to be honest, prefer the old Motown/Atlantic/Stax stuff.