You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

We were going to make Suarez stay another year. Then he got his ban and our patience, rightly, ran out. I don't think there was any intention, in early June, to sell him.

I don't think it was in our hands. I think he would have pushed through a move this summer regardless. All part of the new contract he signed last year.

But, if what you are saying is true, we are stupid. He was worth more to us than £75m. Biting aggravation or otherwise.

We were going to make Suarez stay another year. Then he got his ban and our patience, rightly, ran out. I don't think there was any intention, in early June, to sell him.

Yes, there was no intention to sell him at all. That is why we put in a fairly affordable (from a RM, PSG, Munich or FCB point of view) £75m clause into his contract.

*tedious mini-rant alert*

The thing about these new links (and the ones that will undoubtedly pop up in the coming torturous weeks) that fucks me off most is that they are so late in the window. Why the fuck did it take so many months to 'enquire' about Falcao, fucking do it months ago, it's not as if it's a massive fucking chore.

Small matter of a season ending knee injury I imagine.

Months ago the answer may well have been very different to now and 6 months from now may be different again.

Yes, there was no intention to sell him at all. That is why we put in a fairly affordable (from a RM, PSG, Munich or FCB point of view) £75m clause into his contract.

'We' didn't, his agent did.

Your whole concept of how football works seems to be horribly flawed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't believe this is true at all. I think the major factor in Sanchez choosing Arsenal is that Wenger was onto him ages ago. We sat around and moved far too late and his mind was already made up.

Rodgers talks of a strategy, but it seems there was none in place in the obvious eventuality Suarez was to leave this summer. Sanchez was the perfect replacement, but we were too late. What were we doing?

It's frustrating. I realise we were/are never going to directly replace Suarez, but we clearly need another forward (and always did) but we are (seemingly) - as you say - lurching round fapping at anyone and everyone now in desperation.

I think thats one factor, but it's really a multitude of various factors. If you were a foreigner and you had no affinity to either team who would you choose? you've got a team that played sensational football under a young manager last year, securing their first champions league spot in 5 years versus a team thats always in the champions league, year in year out.

One team has lost there creative genius, the other is trying to build on top of what they already have. They can offer higher wages, their situated in London which is a more desirable place and when you count in the long standing interest as well, it was probably an easy decision.  

We were never going to win that battle.... something that Nightcat just can't seem to get his head around.

• Upvote 1

Sanchez was never coming here unless we offered him far more than Arsenal did.  I don't even think £20,000-£40,000 per week (£1m-£2m p/a) more would have changed his mind on Arsenal.  I think we all need to accept that one.

As much as we love our club, foreign players probably see our 2nd place last season as a one off - even more so after we just sold the 3rd best player on the planet.

What makes you think we put that clause in?

What? Who else gave him the contract to sign, the fairy godmother?

I'm not saying it was our preference, but it was what we offered to accommodate his wishes. And thus, accepted that he would be sold in the foreseeable future.

What? Who else gave him the contract to sign, the fairy godmother?

I'm not saying it was our preference, but it was what we offered to accommodate his wishes. And thus, accepted that he would be sold in the foreseeable future.

I bet the opening offer for the release clause was significantly lower than the 75 million it ended at.

Sanchez was never coming here unless we offered him far more than Arsenal did.  I don't even think £20,000-£40,000 per week (£1m-£2m p/a) more would have changed his mind on Arsenal.  I think we all need to accept that one.

As much as we love our club, foreign players probably see our 2nd place last season as a one off - even more so after we just sold the 3rd best player on the planet.

Imagine being in a situation where £20k-£40k per week wouldn't change your mind. If someone offered me that per year to move to London, I'd be there in the morning!

Fuck me, I hate modern football.

• Upvote 2

'We' didn't, his agent did.

Your whole concept of how football works seems to be horribly flawed.

My concept of how contracts work - given that I've dealt with and studied business contracts worth millions of pounds for various complex assets - is pretty much definitely more developed than yours is.

We did put the clause in his contract, because only we can write the fucking contract. The agent and the player were the ones probably insisting, but we still gave them the clause on the back of that. Thus, we actively made the decision that we were okay with receiving £75m for our asset should it be offered.

I have no problem with us being okay with selling him for £75m (even if I hold the opinion that it considerably undervalues the player), I am just pointing out that that was the case. So people blerting on about us having 'no intention' to sell him in june are talking bollocks, because we already took the decision out of our hands months prior.

• Upvote 5

I bet the opening offer for the release clause was significantly lower than the 75 million it ended at.

Who gives a fuck? I'm not debating whether we should have put a clause in or whether it was for the right amount, I'm just stating that we did indeed put said clause into his contract. Begrudgingly or not, it happened.

The point being that we knew it was very likely he would fuck off this summer, months ago.

People don't have to accept that if they don't want to, I'm not arsed if others want to delude themselves.

My concept of how contracts work - given that I've dealt with and studied business contracts worth millions of pounds for various complex assets - is pretty much definitely more developed than yours is.

We did put the clause in his contract, because only we can write the fucking contract. The agent and the player were the ones probably insisting, but we still gave them the clause on the back of that. Thus, we actively made the decision that we were okay with receiving £75m for our asset should it be offered.

I have no problem with us being okay with selling him for £75m (even if I hold the opinion that it considerably undervalues the player), I am just pointing out that that was the case. So people blerting on about us having 'no intention' to sell him in june are talking bollocks, because we already took the decision out of our hands months prior.

Sorry you misunderstand, I mean football full stop.

• Downvote 1

I don't believe this is true at all. I think the major factor in Sanchez choosing Arsenal is that Wenger was onto him ages ago. We sat around and moved far too late and his mind was already made up.

Rodgers talks of a strategy, but it seems there was none in place in the obvious eventuality Suarez was to leave this summer. Sanchez was the perfect replacement, but we were too late. What were we doing?

It's frustrating. I realise we were/are never going to directly replace Suarez, but we clearly need another forward (and always did) but we are (seemingly) - as you say - lurching round fapping at anyone and everyone now in desperation.

Exactly.  The only hope we had of changing his mind was to dangle more money under his nose.  Knowing us we offered less or Ayre dangle his knob instead.

The same applies to Reus.  If we offer him and Dortmund enough money we'd have a good chance of getting him.  The only teams left that would/could move for him this summer are be Us, Utd maybe Arse (according to the papers).  Next year we'll have no chance especially once the release clause kicks in.

No don't worry, I clearly understood your patronising post. Thankfully for me you are just a no mark fuck who posts on a football forum just like I do, so do kindly fuck yourself.

Such hostility, this could be your first step to enlightenment, like that fat fella watching Chris Hoy at the Olympics who thought 'this can't go on, my ignorance is killing me' and turned his life around.

But nooooooooo.........

• Downvote 1