You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Never rated Lucas that highly if i'm honest, he was always a square peg in a round hole. We've been crying out for a physical defensive midfielder since we got rid of Mascherano.  We bought Adam, Allen, Alberto, Henderson, Poulson, Meireles and Sahin (loan) in that time, not one destroyer amongst them, we need our next Momo / Mascherano.

Rodgers went for mikytaen or whatever his name was, bid a shit load of money, didnt get him then got in three center halfs, didnt bid for Ericsson or another midfeilder, strange.

Barry and Ericson or players of that quality would have improved the squad, no question at all, is there?

Lucas isnt dynamic enough for me.

He is good at breaking things up in front of the back 4 but thats about it in my opinion.

I think the game has changed a lot in the past 2 years and I dont think he is athletic enough. 

I always think were being short changed watching him.

WIth Gerrard now falling deeper into midfield the team is struggling to push up the pitch with both of our centre mids lying too deep.

We need some energy in midfield.

The problem is Gerrard and also the wide players who aren't enough of a goal threat.

So, more specifically, the problem is Gerrard, Sterling, Aspas.

And Gerrard as well, don't forget.

Huddlestone can pass the ball 40 yards as well, but Spurs weren't arsed about keeping him.  If we want quick pass and move football then we also need to address this issue in the middle of the park.  Or not.  Just bum around in 8th and wear your Gerrard shirt for a couple more years.

x

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The problem is Gerrard and also the wide players who aren't enough of a goal threat.

So, more specifically, the problem is Gerrard, Sterling, Aspas.

And Gerrard as well, don't forget.

Huddlestone can pass the ball 40 yards as well, but Spurs weren't arsed about keeping him.  If we want quick pass and move football then we also need to address this issue in the middle of the park.  Or not.  Just bum around in 8th and wear your Gerrard shirt for a couple more years.

x

Gerrard probably shouldn't be playing in the box to box role alongside Lucas, but he is not a complete liability like you are trying to make out - far from it.

I think it would work better with Henderson (or Allen if Henderson was not available or was needed in another role) alongside Lucas and Gerrard being used higher up the field.

Gerrrad is not enough of a goal threat?  He's playing as a deeper midfielder, what are you expecting?  Didn't he get 8 league goals and 8 league assists last season from that position, don't think any other centre midfielders who played a similar role to Gerrard did that.

Talk about not fully appreciating someone!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Contrary to a lot of fans, I think Lucas can be efficient and boss defensive midfield without having Gerrard babysit him all the time. and I think that Gerrard is more than happy to let Lucas get on with it, playing further forward. trouble is he's not allowed to change his babysitting role. He follows orders, hence, we have a disconnect between defense and attacking options in the opposing half, particularly with Coutinho out. 

- - - - - - - goalkeeper- - - - - - - - 

- - - - - - - -Back four - - - - - -  - -

- - - - - - - - - Lucas - - - - - - -  -

- - - - - Hendo - - - -  Stevie - - - -

- - - - - Three Strikers - - - - -  -

Couldn't be any worse than the crap we play now.

Which is a backhanded say of saying what...

I agree by the way, but someone needs to say his name.

Dembele is class, but he won't be in the Spurs central midfield at age 33.

that's right, because Dembele won't have to be looking after a fatally limited partner.  He'll be given a role which better suits his abilities, without having to childmind.  I don't believe Rodgers, Gerrard or Lucas believe Lucas can play the role he's in without support.  If that's the case, we either find a more dynamic DM with an ability to read the game better, we persist with the unsatisfactory status quo (not the first time they've been called that I bet) or we try Henderson in there, and let him learn on the job for the first 12 months.