You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

We all know how this is going to end, though.

Klopp is going to be out there, totally available, ready to come if we'll just pick up the phone and call.  We'll be too busy giving Rodgers the "vote of confidence" and talking about how he has "the money he needs to get marquee players" all summer.

Then in September we're going to look up and realize we still have Rodgers in charge and we brought in Milner, Ings, some rubbish Italian goalkeeper and a centre back described as having "top potential." When we could have had Klopp, Depay and Vietto, and Milner and Schar on frees.

Meanwhile Klopp, after waiting and waiting for us to show some interest, finally heads over to Italy to restore Napoli or Milan to their former glories.

• Upvote 2

We all know how this is going to end, though.

Klopp is going to be out there, totally available, ready to come if we'll just pick up the phone and call.  We'll be too busy giving Rodgers the "vote of confidence" and talking about how he has "the money he needs to get marquee players" all summer.

Then in September we're going to look up and realize we still have Rodgers in charge and we brought in Milner, Ings, some rubbish Italian goalkeeper and a centre back described as having "top potential." When we could have had Klopp, Depay and Vietto, and Milner and Schar on frees.

Meanwhile Klopp, after waiting and waiting for us to show some interest, finally heads over to Italy to restore Napoli or Milan to their former glories.

missed_the_boat.jpg

The grief Rodgers takes from some on here is a disgrace, this is a fella who has tried his best, played some absolutely mouth watering football and who came within a gnats bollock of clinching our first title in a quarter of a century, sure his signings have been woeful and for that he will quite rightly pay the price. can't wait for the usual suspects to start ripping into Klopps hairpiece should he not turn out to be the messiah.

• Upvote 6

The grief Rodgers takes from some on here is a disgrace, this is a fella who has tried his best, played some absolutely mouth watering football and who came within a gnats bollock of clinching our first title in a quarter of a century, sure his signings have been woeful and for that he will quite rightly pay the price. can't wait for the usual suspects to start ripping into Klopps hairpiece should he not turn out to be the messiah.

Yep, it's the new Liverpool Way, unfortunately.

I think we all know he's going to be here next season and we'll be in exactly the same predicament

Everybody's pissed off & frustrated

Are you on about Rafa?

Have you never wondered what Rafa might have achieved with a bit of money behind him?

He had a bit with us, and he brought in more better players than he did bad, some real winners, Alonso, Masch, yada yada.

Then he gets the elbow and goes to Inter, and doesn't get a penny to spend as far as I remember. He asked for backing and Moratti sacked him.

Then he went to Chelsea to take over Di Matteo, where Chelsea refer to him as the 'interim manager' and fans protest against him from the moment he comes in. He secured a top four finish and won the Europa League.

Then he goes to Napoli and signs Higuain, Albiol, Callejon, Mertens, as his top signings, wins a trophy, comes third, and in his second season he gets fuck all to spend really, but still brings in Manolo Gabbiadini who's got 12 goals so far in Serie A for them, 1 less than Dybala, and they are still in the Europa League and 3 points off 2nd in Serie A.

Let's have proper discussions and not revert to the usual level of 'bants'.

I'd feel rude not to reply.

With regards to Rafa with money, my view on that is two fold. One, he signed some great players here as well as a lot of shite.

Two, it doesn't matter how much money the manager has here when some cunt with a spreadsheet has so much say.

He inherited an Inter team that had just won the treble. Lack of investment may explain a drop off but I don't think to the extent they fell. You'd have to ask their fans what they think.

Finishing 4th and winning the EL is not success at Chelsea unfortunately, ask their gobshite fans. Di Matteo had a lot less time and won the CL!

Napoli were second when he arrived and are currently 4th (6 points behind 2nd place by the way albeit with a game in hand).

There is more than one way to look at things.

My point was simply that the same kind of things that Rodgers is being criticised for now, Rafa has also had (no trophies in x years, poor signings, selling best player after a great league season etc).

If it was to be Benitez then so be it i'd get behind him but I'd rather go with someone fresh like Klopp.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Wanting Rodgers gone and using reasonable, cogent arguments to back up that view is one thing, wanting him gone and backing that view up with shite arguments that don't stand up and are full of holes is another, but still fair do's..

Slagging the lad off and giving him dogs abuse is another thing altogether and is the kind of thing that Shithouses like Chelsea fans do, not us...

• Upvote 6

Wanting Rodgers gone and using reasonable, cogent arguments to back up that view is one thing, wanting him gone and backing that view up with shite arguments that don't stand up and are full of holes is another, but still fair do's..

Slagging the lad off and giving him dogs abuse is another thing altogether and is the kind of thing that Shithouses like Chelsea fans do, not us...

Too right.

I've been very clear about my preference to see Rodgers go and Klopp in, but that's much more a reflection of how highly I rate Klopp than it is any particular hatred for Rodgers.  There are some things I don't like about him, but he is undeniably a quality manager, or at the very least has the potential to become one.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if Klopp isn't available, if I were the one making the decision I'd probably keep Brendan.  The only reason I'd sack Brendan is if I were sure of getting in the mad German, and that's down to how good I think we'd be under Klopp.  I think he could turn Sterling into a massive star in his all-action, pacy attack, and even Markovic might bloom if played where he should be.  But if that's not on the table, there isn't another obvious choice out there, and I'd be fine to give Rodgers another go.  And since he's likely to be our manager next season regardless, it does seem very Chelsea-ish to make personal remarks about him and abusing him while he's still in the job.

• Upvote 2

Come on, seriously?

Last season was suarez and suarez alone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Winning the UEFA cup is a success Brownie, no matter who you are.  It's on the record books, and it will be looked upon with pride in years to come.  

Agreed, he had no chance of the CL, that's why he was appointed anyway.

His brief was to secure a top four finish which he did he also reached the semis of the cup and won the Uefa cup.

Everything he was asked to do he did.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, he had no chance of the CL, that's why he was appointed anyway.

His brief was to secure a top four finish which he did he also reached the semis of the cup and won the Uefa cup.

Everything he was asked to do he did.

Yep.  I know LFC fans wouldn't ignore any of our UEFA cup wins.

You can say what you will about Rafa, but he was treated like a leper at Chelsea and not given anything to spend.

He was given nothing to spend at Inter either. Yes, they just won the treble, but the dynamics of that club, at that time, following Mourinho's exit, were horrible. Those players just won everything, and their manager was in their ear saying "this is the best club in the world, you're the best players in the world, this is the best city in the world".....and then he fucks off to Madrid, and doesn't try to take any of the Inter players with him.

That must have, and did, destroy the confidence of a lot of them. "But...but...I thought you told me I was the best....? Why didn't you take me to Madrid with you..."

It was a bunch of players who thought they were the best, and they weren't. They were just defensively tight, had the old Mourinho siege mentality "everyone hates us, let's be snide bastards", the old Don Revie routine. In fact, it's a good comparison, with Clough following Revie at Leeds.

And then he got the boot after, what, 6 months? Less? I'm not sure you can extract anything about Rafa's managerial prowess from that car crash.

I think Napoli are doing well. You hark back to coming 2nd in the league, but they had Cavani who was the league's top scorer, who they sold before Rafa arrived. Mazzari went to Inter and was sacked after five minutes as well.

That said, as much as I respect Rafa, I'd rather Klopp.

I think people who try to make a bad case for Klopp are fundamentally just trying to ward him off in order to keep club expectations low. After all, none of us want to be in a position where we try for Klopp and get turned down by him. I understand that, but we have to keep our aim high, otherwise we end up with another Hodgson, another Brendan, because we stopped believing in ourselves.

• Upvote 1

Pascoe's name has been mentioned as well.

It has to be Hunter, Fallows & Edwards though you would assume.

It's amazing the lengths we'll go to as a club to avoid actually blaming a manager. 

First it was Comolli, now it's the scouts who've been publicly binned, the doctor who was publicly binned, the pitch blamed, the CL blamed for interfering with training time, Liverpool not being in London, not being in the CL next year (probably), now crisis meetings to axe everyone except Rodgers, astounding shit. 

The thought of all this shit for another season leaves a pretty shit feeling in the pit of the stomach, it's clear now the owners are clueless if they persevere with Rodgers IMO. 

• Upvote 8