You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does Rodgers deserve another season.

thompsonsnose

Why sack a manager who has shown he can do it ?

I think this is the heart of the debate.

He showed in his first season that he could stabilise, and marginally improve, the squad.

In his second season he showed that he could forge an attacking unit with a few additions, and did exceptionally well.

But he has no CL experience, no experience of consolidating a top four position, and crucially, no experience at the top end of the transfer market – it shows.

He has not shown that he “can do it” – and that is the problem.

On suarez carrying us I dont remember that being the case before rodgers arrived, the way I remember it was our attack was quite shit and we had a lot of games where we couldnt score goals.

The detractors are saying he is failing because he hasnt got a class striker up front, it is possible to sign players and we do have three strikers that will come in to the squad that are not available now.

Why sack a manager who has shown he can do it with the right players when we do not have those players available right now, is that not the reason we are struggling?

He has signed the wrong players.

Out of those three strikers only one is guaranteed to improve the team and results.

Never sack a manager unless someone better is available. I just don't see the point in sacking him unless a bonafide top class manager is ready and willing to come.so give him the season and see if he can muster at least something respectable out of what's left.

Fair comment.

Sometimes though a manager, like a dog, is dead before he lies down. Has Rodgers passed the point of no return? Not yet.

A bit of Leeds and O'Leary as well. Soflty spoken Irishman. For a couple of years he got by on the "just a young naive manager with a young naive team" who were playing good football, threatened to win something but didn't (CL semi finalists, high up in the league one year) and then it unravelled from there and he ended up out the door a year after making the CL semi because they didn't qualify for it the next season. The financial meltdown then happened after that.

Thats exactly what i said to a mate a few weeks ago. All the "Young Raheem" and young team on a journey. Give me everything nonsense.

Fair comment.Sometimes though a manager, like a dog, is dead before he lies down. Has Rodgers passed the point of no return? Not yet.

Hard to say because only john henry and tom werner decide what's the point of no return(id assume). I think being brutally honest its very unlikely we'll turn this season around. But its not impossible just yet.

It eventually came good for Ferguson but not by magic. He wouldn't have got as long as he did if he hadn't had that unbelievable success with Aberdeen behind him. He also had Busby in his corner. 

Rodgers is learning his trade here and his biggest failing is not having the help and support around him to account for that, so when he's really struggling this season with raised expectations,  losing his best player, European football, having to manage a squad, other managers figuring his tactics out etc, who's he got advising him? He's isolated himself and that's why for me he's fucked.

Which former manager would take on the Busby-like father figure role for him?

Rafa would probably fuck his own mother on national TV to take his job off him, Hodgson would be too busy dodging crisp packets full of piss to even get into Anfield, Kenny getting sacked is the reason he ended up with the job, Ged is working for Red Bull, I can't see Souness coming in to give him a cuddle, so basically he needs Roy Evans to have a word in his ear - aye, that will no doubt sort it all out...

Obviously I'm being facetious, I agree that he needs people around him and ones who can actually bring something to the table but the resistance to that seems to come primarily from the man himself.

In fact, let's be honest - Kenny would do it because that's the man he is, but I think Brendan would see it as interference.

Fuck you lot hate him dont you

It's not about hate. It's about understanding. It's natural to want to know the reasons for huge turnarounds in form and results. Unless ofc, people believe in superstition. Some do, but most have the ability to reason, and there are reasons for this season's complete ballsup. Rodgers is at the heart of it, obviously. It' s a pity we're not all shareholders, because he could then 'stand trial' before the fans with HIS version of events. Communication is everything.

Fuck you lot hate him dont you

I don't, no.

I hate seeing us play shit football, I hate seeing us waste the best chance we've had in 5 years to get back to regularly being top 4 or better, I hate seeing a confused transfer policy, wasting vast sums on players who the manager then benches, seeing us in a state where we seemingly have no idea who our best team is, who our best players are or how to get anything resembling consistently good performances out of them, embarassing ourselves on our return to the competition that we used to grace with our presence, once again knowing any chance of the league is gone by October, etc, etc.

Despite that, I don't hate Rodgers because even if you attribute 100% of all of the above to him, he's not going to be doing it on purpose.  All it would mean is that he's not up to the job and that's not a crime, nor is it a reason to hate someone.

True story; I once over-reached myself in applying for a job, it was a step up and I thought I could do it but I fucked up and horrendously misjudged it.  I did it for 10 months and eventually resigned a day before I was going to get fired.  I tried to better myself and just bit off more than I could chew in a single bite, got found out (and I'd realised my own error by then anyway) tried to hang in there and fix things, then when I realised it wasn't going to happen I bailed.  Believe me, if that is in fact what's happening here I will have all the empathy in the world with the guy.

I just want my team to do well, that's all.  I'd forgotten what it felt like to have a season like last season, where April comes round and I'm feeling like a kid again bouncing off the walls waiting for the next match.  I want more of that and instead I'm getting 2009-10 all over again, only with worse football.

Truth of it is this.  Managers show their true mettle in times of adversity, not prosperity.  We finished second last season, lost our best player who was truly world class by any definiton, but gained a fucking massive bag of money to spend.  I don't need to be too specific about what my expectations were for this season, what I hoped for in one competition would really depend on what we did in another and so on, but I can definitely say I expected better than us being pretty shit in all of them.  And we have been, that's surely not in question?

In particular, in view of how astute a tactical manager Brendan was supposed to be I hoped that he would be able to manage his way out of a crisis by finding a way to get the best out of the players he had available.  Instead, with each passing week he seems to be managing himself into a crisis.

Things like not having Borini even on the bench yesterday and bringing Enrique back in for fuck only knows what reason, that's just insanity in a must-win game, it's absolute tactical fucking suicide because he's limiting his options to change things up and pretty much guaranteeing he was going to need to waste a sub.  He tells us Gerrard is getting too old to play every game, yet ends up playing Rickie fucking Lambert until he's basically dead on his feet, in part because for some reason he won't pick or even bench a striker who is 23, fully fit and who he paid £10m for.  We have a creative midfielder who can play on the left, who the manager paid £25m for 6 months ago, yet he is benched, doesn't get on and we play Jordan fucking Henderson on the left?

Players seem to come in and out of the side on a whim, or because it's their turn to get a game, with no sense at all that we're matching players or even tactics to opponents - last night we played a side and a set-up that I'd have expected us to use if we were playing away and needed a point to be sure of going through, when we were at Anfield and needed a win.  It's becoming almost perverse.

Despite that, I don't hate him.  I don't even want him binned off if he can sort this out, but I'm looking for a peg to hang my hopes on each week and I'm just not seeing it.

• Upvote 13

Rodgers doesn't actually deserve anything, certainly not now, i hope he goes soon and a proper experienced man comes in to sort this mess out, the 'TINA' (There is no alternative) line (as England cricket fans will know well) is bollocks too, they're are many successful managers out there that would jump at the chance of managing this club, there always will be.

All we are doing now is wasting this season away and delaying the inevitable, there is still time to rescue something from this season.

Like others, I see no hate for Rodgers.

He took the job as a massive step up knowing that the odds were against him but determined to give it a go.

I credit him after Palace and Basel with offering no excuses. But he has the look of a trapped man. If he plays his signings his judgement is exposed, if he doesn't play his signings, his judgement is exposed.

It is still possible for him to dig his way out, I do not think that we are getting the best out of what we have.

This next week, Man u away, Bournemouth away and Arsenal home could rescue or destroy him.

Its death by a thousand papercuts all this. Somehow we still have a chance of achieving something as every top 4 challenger have their problems. But only if decisions are made now. Ours in huge part is the manager and is easily resolved if someone high up has the balls to do it. To have no striker on the bench and not play your own main signing when he's shown glimpses of actually getting up to speed, its simply unforgivable. He chucked the Madrid match so he could lose against Chelsea. He's made the 3 most likely relegation teams look like the top 4. He talks shit. The list is as long as Hodgson's crimesheet and when we gain no ground on Arsenal and Man Utd this coming week we will well and truly be fucked.

Obviously the transfer policy and process is a mess but, from the outside, I can't see who is on it that is constantly suggesting players that Brendan doesn't want.

Ayre and the FSG bloke aren't gonna do that. The head or analytics is Rodgers' mate isn't he?

So that leaves Hunter - but surely a grandly titled head scout can't be over ruling the manager on who to buy and what those players qualities need to be. If so, he's indirectly dictating our playing style which can't be right? Alternatively maybe Hunter is a lazy, incompetent twat who only brings to the table shortlists of duff players and we're forced to pick the best from an awful bunch?

• Upvote 1

We will finish 5th/6th and he shouldn't be sacked.  People can talk all day about these great managers who will come in and fix things but it never works like that.  There's plenty of reasons for why things are the way they are at the moment.  Rodgers has some hand in it with a few buys but he's playing the hand he's been dealt and in my view nobody else could have done any better.  We had to sign a lot of players, we had no other option and when you do that this is always the result.  The reason why it's as bad as it is though, is because we also lost the best player in the world and his partner has been injured for the majority of the season.

We can't compete when signing top players so he has to take risks like any other manager of this club would have to.  A lot of them aren't working out at the moment but regardless of whether he wanted to sign them all or not it still isn't all in his hands as a lot of players he has clearly wanted just haven't wanted to come here.

He's a very clever manager as shown last season and has the potential to get us as high as we can be in the current climate.  Fucking him off and getting some cunt looking for his last pay day, just because he has a great CV, is not the answer,.

• Upvote 4

We will finish 5th/6th and he shouldn't be sacked.  People can talk all day about these great managers who will come in and fix things but it never works like that.  There's plenty of reasons for why things are the way they are at the moment.  Rodgers has some hand in it with a few buys but he's playing the hand he's been dealt and in my view nobody else could have done any better.  We had to sign a lot of players, we had no other option and when you do that this is always the result.  The reason why it's as bad as it is though, is because we also lost the best player in the world and his partner has been injured for the majority of the season.

We can't compete when signing top players so he has to take risks like any other manager of this club would have to.  A lot of them aren't working out at the moment but regardless of whether he wanted to sign them all or not it still isn't all in his hands as a lot of players he has clearly wanted just haven't wanted to come here.

He's a very clever manager as shown last season and has the potential to get us as high as we can be in the current climate.  Fucking him off and getting some cunt looking for his last pay day, just because he has a great CV, is not the answer,.

You could roughly apply all that to Atletico Madrid though, they've a clever manager, great team, brilliant signings and they win trophies. Why do we have to accept shit signings and terrible tactics?

• Upvote 2

Things will improve when we get Sturridge back, and hopefully Origi or another striker with pace. Our biggest problem as I see it is the lack of pace in attack. Sacking Rodgers wont solve a thing and will set us back 4 years. We should wait till the end of the season to discuss his job. This will be a shit season, but we can live with one more year without champions league football...

Whats clever about collecting number 10s from all over Europe and not buying any players to complement the alleged way he wants to play?

I don't think he's clever. Not at all.

We have NO system right now. NO strategy and NO confidence.

And a ramshackle collection of dogshit signings to boot.

All on Brendan.

All of it.

• Upvote 1