You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I need to get me a career.

Some of you will remember I packed my job in the other week. It was the first job I found when I moved down south last summer, it was shit and I'm better off out of it. I've been looking and there's only minimum wage jobs around here and I'm loathe to go into one. I've done it plenty of times in the past although I've also had much better payed, albeit still relatively unskilled jobs whilst living up north. Jaguar, etc.

Mrs Turdseye has suggested I go to college and do something that I want to do, things will be tough with a baby nearly here but it's better in the long run. She's got a point. I started a B-Tech in IT when I left school but wasn't into it at all and ended up jibbing it off to go and work in factories and other such shit.

The thing is, I haven't got the first clue what I want to do with my working life so I'm throwing it out there to the GF to fling some ideas at me. What do y'all do? What careers could I find a bit of enjoyment in? How long would I have to study for? How much could I earn?

I'm prepared for the comedy answers, (Sugar Ape, I'm looking at you, you twat) but I'm also hoping for some serious answers. Cheers.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Captain, the Government are throwing millions at the railway ... ever thought of becoming a train driver or something else involving the railway.... support, logistics etc..?

The money's really good.

I'm looking at it after next March... gotta wait till then for the redundancy money !

Whatever you do, do it self-employed. If you're looking long-term, you might as well do it properly. You'll never earn as much money working for someone else, and despite common misconceptions, you have more job security as a self-employed as your future is in your own hands, not some blert who may sack you to save a wage regardless of how hard you've worked. Honestly, I'd be a window-cleaner before I went back on someone's payroll.

Whatever you do, do it self-employed. If you're looking long-term, you might as well do it properly. You'll never earn as much money working for someone else, and despite common misconceptions, you have more job security as a self-employed as your future is in your own hands, not some blert who may sack you to save a wage regardless of how hard you've worked. Honestly, I'd be a window-cleaner before I went back on someone's payroll.

It took me over 40 years to realise this, probably too long, but how you can have your own employment in the hands of some other twat's judgment/discretion and somehow call that "job security" is socially-conditioned delusion.

I really wouldn't want to work in an industry where I was trying to sell something to somebody who didn't really want it. I have an ace job which I wouldn't change a lot and I'm now in a position where clients come to me largely on recommendation so I don't have to consciously 'sell' as much. If I was going to do something else then I reckon I'd look at something with a physical element like building trade, spark, plumber etc. Train then find and old boy to help for a few years then take over when he retires, this seems to happen a lot. A good mate of mine worked in IT and computers for 20 years then got fucked off with the backstabbing and brown nosing and retrained as a sparky - he loves it, but did say there's a lot more crawling through lofts than looking at circuit diagrams.

Agree with noos about the self-employed bit too.

Otherwise look for something that's secure or a growth industry. Train driver looks a good shout, decent money but could be boring? Something to do with sustainable energy like fitting log burners?

I've just looked into train driving, there are more than 300 applications for each trainee position. Other railway jobs are certainly something I'll look into. I was also thinking about going on the rigs but if I'm going to train to do something, I'd like to really be moving away from hard manual labour. 4 weeks on/4 weeks off is not what I want to be doing either.

So true.

I've just looked into train driving' date=' there are more than 300 applications for each trainee position. Other railway jobs are certainly something I'll look into. I was also thinking about going on the rigs but if I'm going to train to do something, I'd like to really be moving away from hard manual labour. 4 weeks on/4 weeks off is not what I want to be doing either.[/quote']

Offshore work is ridiculously hard to get into if you don't know somebody in the industry. However they do seem to be recruiting at the min. I work offshore, albeit on Windturbines. I love it, great holidays a decent salary but you'll struggle to get in without some sort of trade behind you.

Personal Shopper

Astroturf inspector

Surgeon

Priest

Surgical Priest

Superhero

Cat juggler

Farm hand

Human centipede detacher

Shop assistant

Contract killer

Showtunes band conductor