You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Rodgers becoming a laughing stock?

Megadrive Man

If only we'd have hired Van Gaal or somebody of his ilk.

I'm more negative than positive at this point as I simply dont see any improvement overall from the end of last season.At least we had a Cup Final to look forward to this time last year.

One place higher than a manager who was sacked for his poor league form says that this manager's job should be under threat too (based on that logic anyway.)

I honestly believe that Rodgers isnt getting the best out of the players because they either dont respect a young rookie manager or he's trying too hard to be one of the boys. He needs to change this quickly for his own sake.

Rodgers gets more out of our players than Dalglish it has nothing to do with his age. Probably more to do with his tactics, defensively anyway.

Dalglish was sacked for more than poor finishing position.

I honestly believe that Rodgers isnt getting the best out of the players because they either dont respect a young rookie manager or he's trying too hard to be one of the boys. He needs to change this quickly for his own sake.

Two agenda driven and ridiculous reasons there, Vlad!

Kenny failed to get the best out of a similar bunch of players also. Was he also trying too hard to be one of the lads?

Like any manager, Rodgers needs the players that he wants to play the system that he wants. It's a patience thing. The summer and the first half of next season will be key. And Rodgers will get it right, I think.

Guest davelfc
Rodgers gets more out of our players than Dalglish it has nothing to do with his age. Probably more to do with his tactics, defensively anyway.

Dalglish was sacked for more than poor finishing position.

At least he had them beating top teams, besides who can say that once given a season to settle Kenny wouldn't have got more from them.

I can fucking guarantee we would have got more wins against top teams. Not this crap about 'well we played well enough to beat them' almost every team that gets beaten by the mancs plays well enough at some point to have beaten them, except mid table teams rarely do.

Fucking disgraceful season this, full of apologists and day dreamers. It will suddenly dawn on a few next season that we have wasted two years and shit loads of money on a bluffer.

At least he had them beating top teams,

Such a spurious argument, this. And I keep reading it.

If Kenny had us beating top teams and finishing 4th or better, you may have a point. But he finished fucking 8th. What fucking good is that? It's about the whole league, not some arbitrary mini league which clearly has no bearing on your end position.

Two agenda driven and ridiculous reasons there' date=' Vlad!

Kenny failed to get the best out of a similar bunch of players also. Was he also trying too hard to be one of the lads?

Like any manager, Rodgers needs the players that he wants to play the system that he wants. It's a patience thing. The summer and the first half of next season will be key. And Rodgers will get it right, I think.[/quote']

Agenda driven?

If you read my posts you'll see that I want nothing more than to be proved wrong about Rodgers.

A patience thing? 18 months, 2 finals, 1 trophy and European football isnt good enough so how is what we have seen this season.

The agenda has come from the owners, not me.

Such a spurious argument' date=' this. And I keep reading it.

If Kenny had us beating top teams and finishing 4th or better, you may have a point. But he finished fucking 8th. What fucking good is that? It's about the whole league, not some arbitrary mini league which clearly has no bearing on your end position.[/quote']

Versus finishing 7th and no European football?

No contest for me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If only we'd have hired Van Gaal or somebody of his ilk.

Van Gaal, noted for his quick starts. By quick, I mean slow.

Agenda driven?

If you read my posts you'll see that I want nothing more than to be proved wrong about Rodgers.

A patience thing? 18 months, 2 finals, 1 trophy and European football isnt good enough so how is what we have seen this season.

The agenda has come from the owners, not me.

I ask you again, why do you think Kenny failed to get the best out of the players? Greenhorn manager? Trying too hard to be one of the boys?

So, you want Rodgers sacked because Kenny was sacked? Is that what I can take from this quote here?

Kenny got to two cup finals and we are going to finish not much better off in the league. To say Rodgers has got better out the players isn't true. He's got better out of some and worse out of others this seasons has been one of the worst ever for me. It hasn't been good enough and often the manager has spoken of the players like he's managing a group of 16 year olds, they made me proud outstanding bullishit theyre nearly all internationals and they have been performing average at best, many for a few years.

Rodgers should get next season just to see if this experiment does show shoots of something better if it doesn't he should be gone and Ian Ayre should join him. We are a turd rolled in glitter at the minute yeah we look fancy now and then but really when push comes to shove and the opposition aren't completely wank we struggle.

Fucking disgraceful season this, full of apologists and day dreamers. It will suddenly dawn on a few next season that we have wasted two years and shit loads of money on a bluffer.

Sums you up and a few other dipshits with Dalglish's 2nd reign at the club.

This league season is a disgrace as was last years, the year before that and Rafa's last season. I spot trend here...

The League Cup win. Spending over £100million in 2 transfer windows the least that should be expected is a cup win and that wasn't even good enough considering where we finished in the league.

Edited by J-V

I don't really see much difference between this time last season and now, all things considered.

At that stage, I wanted Kenny to have another season. Now I want Rodgers to have another season.

To be perfectly honest and realistic about it, it won't really matter anyway as our days of challenging at the top are probably over unless we get injected by some megabucks owner.

I don't really see much difference between this time last season and now, all things considered.

At that stage, I wanted Kenny to have another season. Now I want Rodgers to have another season.

To be perfectly honest and realistic about it, it won't really matter anyway as our days of challenging at the top are probably over unless we get injected by some megabucks owner.

Spot on.

the differenc is about £70 million spent

I ask you again' date=' why do you think Kenny failed to get the best out of the players? Greenhorn manager? Trying to hard to be one of the boys?

So, you want Rodgers sacked because Kenny was sacked? Is that what I can take from this quote here?

[/quote']

Why didnt Kenny get the best out of the players?

Maybe he did as some of his buys have been our best players in a season were we finished only one place higher or he didnt get the time that the current manager looks likely to get.

I expect Rodgers to get another season but if Van Gaal, Ancelotti et al were being lined up then I would have no qualms Rodgers getting the elbow.

I have to be brutally honest here and say that if Benitez was actually in the frame, I dont think he will be with FSG, then I'd take him too but like I said thats a moot argument.

I just believe a club like ours deserves a manager to suit our clubs lofty expectations. Mind you, those expectations are being lowered by the game at the moment.

Guest davelfc

I can't disagree with that, I see the logic in giving Rodgers another season, as I did for Kenny. I'd prefer a top manager instead of the 'build your own' one we have.

The anger and frustration I and a lot feel is probably more down to what's written in your last paragraph. FSG say one thing but they want what all businessmen want, to make money. Floating around mid table is the best we can hope for, until our better players realise this. The only consolation I can take is that I lived through the years when we dominated.

We won't end up like Leeds, well not under these owners but its not going to be fun. Oh and fuck off Ayre.

Why didnt Kenny get the best out of the players?

Maybe he did as some of his buys have been our best players in a season were we finished only one place higher or he didnt get the time that the current manager looks likely to get.

I expect Rodgers to get another season but if Van Gaal, Ancelotti et al were being lined up then I would have no qualms Rodgers getting the elbow.

I have to be brutally honest here and say that if Benitez was actually in the frame, I dont think he will be with FSG, then I'd take him too but like I said thats a moot argument.

I just believe a club like ours deserves a manager to suit our clubs lofty expectations. Mind you, those expectations are being lowered by the game at the moment.

As has been happening for years.

But you still haven't answered either of my questions, Vlad. Though your first assessment is a backhanded compliment to Rodgers.

Maybe we'll just see in year's time when one of us will be proven right.

As has been happening for years.

But you still haven't answered either of my questions' date=' Vlad. Though your first assessment is a backhanded compliment to Rodgers.

Maybe we'll just see in year's time when one of us will be proven right.[/quote']

Is your question still,'why couldnt Kenny get the best out of the players?'

My own opinion is lack of time from the owners. I also think he got more out than Rodgers has so far.

One place higher with no trophies, ergo no Euro football doesnt constitute a real improvement to me.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It still baffles me that some fans don't understand that Rodgers took over after the decline. Then lost 4 of the 6 top scoring attackers at the club. Yet you want to compare. His job wasn't what Kenny's was at the start of last season, which was to take a team finishing really strongly, then add to it with lots of signings. It's to recover from the decline. We've done that this season. We've recovered to where we were after Kenny's first half-season. Now the same rules apply to him as applied to Kenny. If we don't challenge for top four this season, the owners will sack him. Right or wrong.

We've stripped away so much dead wood, cut the wage bill, recovered from the worse finish to a season in several generations, and we're now allowed to look forward again. I'm actually shocked that it only took Rodgers 19 games to get the club moving towards the top four again.

The difference between Rodgers and Kenny is that Rodgers has finished the season strongly, getting us to 4-5th in the form table in the second half of the season. Kenny on the other hand had us in a tailspin and our form from the season half of last season was relegation fodder.

Agree to an extent and I share the sentiment sadly. However given our level of expenditure I don't believe establishing ourselves over several seasons as consistent contenders for a top 4 position is out of the question. Spurs have effectively achieved that without megabucks spending.

If Rodgers is able to achieve that goal, he should deservedly be considered a success with us.