You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of BOD omission the centre pairing looks much more balanced, which is important.

I like the change at number 8.

I wouldn't have played Phillips but I don't think it will make much difference all the scrum halfs are about the same.

Tipuric unlucky again not to be starting.

I think Tuilagi and O'Driscoll is the best centre partnership. Seems a bit strange to drop BOD completely though he hasn't done too much in an attacking sense.

Regardless of BOD omission the centre pairing looks much more balanced, which is important.

I wouldn't have played Phillips but I don't think it will make much difference all the scrum halfs are about the same.

Tipuric unlucky again not to be starting.[/QU

I knew I could rely on you LFD, amongst a few others, to have a decent conversation with about this.

As for Henson, I agree with you. When he broke through into the Welsh team, he displayed so much talent, but just threw it away.

I think Tuilagi and O'Driscoll is the best centre partnership. Seems a bit strange to drop BOD completely though he hasn't done too much in an attacking sense.

And I think that it what it boils down to. He has done some amazing defensive work, but his attacking game has been missing. It seems hard to criticise BOD, as he really is a true legend of the game, but maybe time has just caught up with him.

Tipuric unlucky again not to be starting.[/QU

I knew I could rely on you LFD, amongst a few others, to have a decent conversation with about this.

As for Henson, I agree with you. When he broke through into the Welsh team, he displayed so much talent, but just threw it away.

Danny Cipriani is the English equivalent. He got to knob Kelly Brook though, so not sure you can be too critical.

Brave changes, but the Aussies with momentum will win (also bring back Smith is a good move)

The key change is the front row. I think the scrum should be more solid and with a French ref this could lead to more Lions pens

It would have been great to see Manu at outside centre - but the Lions have kept him on the bench

Gatland trying to be as big a twat in Lions history as Henry and Woodward.

Many people seemed to have forgotten that Woodward used as many of his older players from his 2003 England team as possible for those test matches. Didn't he drag Neil Back out of retirement?

Many people seemed to have forgotten that Woodward used as many of his older players from his 2003 England team as possible for those test matches. Didn't he drag Neil Back out of retirement?

Woodwards tour was farcical, this isn't an anti Welsh (or Kiwi) thing, but Gatland has been shit imo.

Woodwards tour was farcical, this isn't an anti Welsh (or Kiwi) thing, but Gatland has been shit imo.

I know what you mean, don't worry. Injuries to major players haven't helped his cause, but the game plan has seemed very disjointed. 5 changes last game, 6 this game - something clearly hasn't been right.

I know what you mean, don't worry. Injuries to major players haven't helped his cause, but the game plan has seemed very disjointed. 5 changes last game, 6 this game - something clearly hasn't been right.

Injuries were always going to play a part, it's a Lions tour. We just don't have any cohesion, our 'strengths' have let us down and selection, from the original squad to the tests has been confused.

To be fair to Woodward, I think it didn't matter which coach or players played vs that New Zealand side at the time they were going to lose, as they were just formidable.

He was highly talented as you say. But through it all away to be a celebrity.

Danny Cipriani is the English equivalent. He got to knob Kelly Brook though, so not sure you can be too critical.

Yeah good shout.

Can Cipriani play rugby anymore after his incident with a bus?

Another player who went for fame over rugby.

To be fair to Woodward, I think it didn't matter which coach or players played vs that New Zealand side at the time they were going to lose, as they were just formidable.

It wasn't just the test results though mate, separate coaches and playing staff for the Wednesday games etc

The whole tour was shockingly handled and Woodward has to take the flak for that.

It wasn't just the test results though mate, separate coaches and playing staff for the Wednesday games etc

The whole tour was shockingly handled and Woodward has to take the flak for that.

I know, he spent a ridiculous amount of money on his staff if I remember rightly as well.

But I don't think it affected the result of the Tests. He had a thankless task on that tour whatever he did they probably would have lost.

I know, he spent a ridiculous amount of money on his staff if I remember rightly as well.

But I don't think it affected the result of the Tests. He had a thankless task on that tour whatever he did they probably would have lost.

It was an incredible Kiwi aside I agree. But, a Lions tour should always follow the same ethos and Woodward rode roughshod over that.

I think the major disruption was the two loosehead injuries. A key part of the plan was to dominate the scrum and that just hasn't happened as the replacements have been nowhere near the same quality.

Phillips was supposed to be tying in the defence by driving off a dominant scrum and Roberts and North would be taking in defenders in midfield. All fallen to pieces.

Ridiculous selection. Hope they get beaten now.

The amount of people on twitter who are now sharing this viewpoint is very disappointing. Its the only time that I ever support an English rugby player, and I know that Gatland has picked a very strange team, but surely people should get behind them for this final match?

The BBC rugby lady, Sonja McClaughlan, just keeps retweeting pro irish supporters and not giving a balanced argument at all, its all very sad.

Before this tour started, most people went for an Irish/Welsh team, as they have been the strongest over the past few years in the 6 Nations, so now that Gatland has dropped BOD, he gets the crap, and rightly so in my opinion, but lets wait and see if they win first.

BOD mightn't have done much offensively for the tour, but his defensive work has been excellent. Or to put it another way, if Davis defended like BOD, we'd not have lost the last game.

The looks that Bowe and BOD gave him after the try told a lot. Fuck sake it was 3 on 3 like. O'Driscoll had the ball carrier (O'Conner), Davis was on Ashley-Cooper, and Bowe had Falou (I think). For some stupid fucking reason, Davis drifts inside to help BOD, and leaves a huge gap between himself and Bowe, into which Cooper strolls through and scores.

MARK YOUR FUCKING MAN!!

It's okay though. You'll not be dropped for the deciding test. Tis the fella doing all the donkey work for ya that we'll leave out.