You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roast Dinners

Sugar Ape

If you're resting a steak properly, it should be around five minutes.

If you're cooking a steak properly i.e. medium rare, you're looking at 2 to 3 minutes each side, depending on how thick the steaks are.

Don't tell me you're just waving it at the pan.

You rest a steak longer than you cook it?

A steak one inch thick needs 90 seconds each side in a searing hot pan or on a griddle.

Resting should be between a third and a quarter of the cooking time.

You rest a steak longer than you cook it?

A steak one inch thick needs 90 seconds each side in a searing hot pan or on a griddle.

Resting should be between a third and a quarter of the cooking time.

Theres better chefs than both of us that would disagree with us both.

All down to preference I suppose. I know what works for me.

I'm having this tonight.

Not as good as a roast but a tasty alternative now that the weather's changed

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940707/chorizo-pork-belly-and-chickpea-casserole-

Fuck yeah!

Added some paprika because i like it and celery sticks as i had some spare

Lovely comforting peasant food with a Shiraz

Think the leftovers will taste better tomorrow

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Roast pork today.

Same here. Luckily, I don't have to cook it today. Off to family's house in a bit. Few beers, big bit of pork, crackling, apple sauce. Ace.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I hope you're going to blame it on the amount you ate and not slightly pink pork.

Perfectly cooked. I must have eaten a good three pigs just to myself. Nah, it's the trimmings that get me feeling stuffed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be home tomorrow evening for the first time in ages so thought it would be nice to do a roast. I spotted roast pheasant and bread sauce featured on the BBC website. I guess I should get this from a proper butcher's but as I've never cooked pheasant before, is there anything I need to know?

I just spotted your recommendation for lamb shanks, Stig. That might make a good substitute for tomorrow

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be home tomorrow evening for the first time in ages so thought it would be nice to do a roast. I spotted roast pheasant and bread sauce featured on the BBC website. I guess I should get this from a proper butcher's but as I've never cooked pheasant before, is there anything I need to know?

I just spotted your recommendation for lamb shanks, Stig. That might make a good substitute for tomorrow

Young birds should be nice and pink. Older birds need more effort, but then you'd know that.

• Upvote 1

That was pretty good though. I'd probably have said something about older birds having a tendency to be a bit dry, but I have been known to lack subtlety on occasion.

Don't tell him, but I thought it was pretty good too.

Although I still remain clueless on the art of roasting pheasant