You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roast Dinners

Sugar Ape

Had a belter roast yesterday with the much underused roast meat.... Gammon. Crackling the lot an all

The wife and I have been arguing for over 6 years about the best way to have gammon.

She insists on roast, nothing could ever beat my nans boiled gammon done in her pressure cooker though.

The wife and I have been arguing for over 6 years about the best way to have gammon.

She insists on roast' date=' nothing could ever beat my nans boiled gammon done in her pressure cooker though.[/quote']

Boil then finish in the oven

Miserable, miserable? Don't you love having the contrast of the roast edges and the tender boiled meat? Obviously not

You dare insult my Nan like that...

You bring to the biol, wash off the salt and then put in fresh water with peppercorns, bay and brown sugar. 2 hours in the pressure cooker and then trim the fat.

Place the fat between two cooking sheets weighted down and you have amazing crackling.

You then have the greatest ever gammon and crackling.

Anyone who disagrees with my Nan is wrong.

So, do you do the cooking in your place?

But what I really want to know is how are you going to make your gravy?

Not as much as I'd like to but Sunday mornings we only have one staff on so I'm doing the roast.

Gravy is meat juices, veg water, bit of rosemary and mint.

Not as much as I'd like to but Sunday mornings we only have one staff on so I'm doing the roast.

Gravy is meat juices' date=' veg water, bit of rosemary and mint.[/quote']

Like 'one Police'? You got it bad, sir

I just asked because I never seem to get enough gravy (no innuendo intended!) doing that and to quote S***er Am (which I hate before anyone jumps in) northern boys love gravy.

It's not ideal but a drop of marmite or redcurrant jelly will allow you to make your gravy go further.

Do all that....just wondering if you make stock. I do with birds but never seem to get enough bones (or none) with meat

Do all that....just wondering if you make stock. I do with birds but never seem to get enough bones (or none) with meat

Always make stock. I get bones for free off the butcher for the dog but keep a few back for us.

Reduce the stock till it gets quite syrupy and then freeze in ice cube trays.

Just add one to each lot of fresh gravy you're making.

Always make stock. I get bones for free off the butcher for the dog but keep a few back for us.

Reduce the stock till it gets quite syrupy and then freeze in ice cube trays.

Just add one to each lot of fresh gravy you're making.

Another shout for your independent butcher. Good man. Not having a dog, never thought of that

Weimaraner.

That looks so funny on Forum Runner.

Would be grounds for instant divorce proceedings here.

And to go with the roast? Although I love it lamb's not the easiest customer