You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ideal January signing

Bert

Who really knows. From what I've seen, he looks terrific. He's talk, has great reflexes, good reading, dominant in the air (6ft 5 helps). Who really knows, though? Everybody who's anybody says he's the realist of the deals, but every transfer is a chance.

There's a lad on RAWK (I know) who's son is a 'keeper at Blackburn and who is very familiar with the England youth goalkeeping setup. Said that Butland is overrated and not especially gifted with his distribution/technique, which would seem to make him an odd choice for our style of play.

I myself have no opinion, having never seen him play. Just passing along someone else's thoughts.

There's a lad on RAWK (I know) who's son is a 'keeper at Blackburn and who is very familiar with the England youth goalkeeping setup. Said that Butland is overrated and not especially gifted with his distribution/technique, which would seem to make him an odd choice for our style of play.

I myself have no opinion, having never seen him play. Just passing along someone else's thoughts.

I suppose this is why we have keeping coaches & surely they can sort out a young lad's distribution. Are you sure the dad is not just biased, as some decent judges must feel he isn't 'overrated' if he is in the full England set-up at his age.

If we can get him for £4/5m I think it could turn out an excellent signing.

ps Is Doni back yet ? Read on here that he has been back a month but I haven't heard him mentioned on the offal.

I suppose this is why we have keeping coaches & surely they can sort out a young lad's distribution. Are you sure the dad is not just biased, as some decent judges must feel he isn't 'overrated' if he is in the full England set-up at his age.

If we can get him for £4/5m I think it could turn out an excellent signing.

ps Is Doni back yet ? Read on here that he has been back a month but I haven't heard him mentioned on the offal.

This usually means he is overrated. Better keepers in other leagues but no doubt we will pay over the odds for a young English plyer,

Guest Numero Veinticinco
This usually means he is overrated. Better keepers in other leagues but no doubt we will pay over the odds for a young English plyer,

Needlessly negative, mate. Who could we get for 4-6m, 6tf 5, who is playing for their country at 19?

Diame at 3,5mill (release clause) is a no brainer!

Holtby for a low fee now or on a free in the summer the same!

Hopefully Walcott can be convinced to the same!

Cuenca at Barca would be a great loan signing, preferably with an option to buy.

Birmingham are in financial trouble, would be a good time to test their resolve for Redmond and Butland (if we're interested)

We really need a proven striker, and Sturridge is not enough! I'd go for Damiao as he won't be more expensive in January than in the summer...

Come summer we should look at Wolfswinel at Sporting and heung- min at hamburg - both young, scores loads, great mobility and timing, so would fit our system!

Further two options to strengthen our attack would be to sign Zarate(rumored to have been told he can find a new club) and Quaresma(released by Besiktas) on free transfers on 6 month deals with options to extend! Fiery characters but plenty creativity, which we sorely lack... Could be worth a punt!

It's the sort of deal that is worth the risks IMO.

Lower wages and even if he doesnt make it as a long term replacement we shouldn't loose much on him.

As I've said above, I don't know much about him but this is my general impression as well.

We did a similar deal with Carson, albeit for less money. Bought him very young, never really played him, and after a few loans had built up a bit of media hype around him, sold him for a healthy profit. It might be a case of getting our money back, it might be a case of making a bit on him, or we might get lucky and he develops his distribution somehow and can fit in to our squad, but no matter what, he's not likely to lose significant value in the next 5 years.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Walcott was really crap today. Must agree with many people on here who doesnt think he will strengten us...:whistle:

If he keeps playing like this we will never get him anyway though.

Unless we've done a deal before, we'll never get him now. He has been banging them in lately. Chelsea or somebody will get him. We needed to striker whilst we could.

Still, there's loads of other players around. From Bony to Belhanda, Butland to Ba, there's loads of players available. Just need to wait 'til January is gone, then I'll start moaning about missing out on good players. Again.

Someone on twitter saying rodgers wants walcott but fsg wont pay more than 8m as he's out of cintract in summer.

People seem to believe him. Think he's got sturridge deal spot on before others and posts teams up early.

Bloke who I follow on there @indykaila who seems very reliable says signing on fee only thing preventing it from happening at the minute

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Bloke who I follow on there @indykaila who seems very reliable says signing on fee only thing preventing it from happening at the minute

Then FSG are fucking mental. Pony up the money and shut the fuck up.

Yeah, take that Walcott we won't overpay for you, we got Ian Ayre, the mighty negotiator. Another genious move by FSG.

Will this be the final wake up call for the last few FSG-apologists left? I won't hold my breath.