You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Early thoughts on Rodgers

fowler9

All style, soundbites and not a great amount of substance at the moment.

I guess still, early days and we will see where we stand at the end of the season.

I think a lot of that stems from inexperience. I think as his confidence grows in the role, hopefully, that'll fade.

Really, you think he's done well.

Well here's a scenario Luis Suarez calls Ashley Williams 'negro' and is banned for 8 games.

Now I ask you how would Liverpool cope right now compared to last season?

I have a feeling we'd be looking up at QPR.

Yeah, we'd be struggling, no doubt about it, but that's hardly the managers fault is it? The day before the end of the window (even before 2/3 went out) he was telling everyone he wanted to get a few players in to supplement the squad. So that makes the squad 5/6 players light. Is that his fault?

I see that a little differently, i.e. he didn't have a choice with the thin squad. Although in the main so far they've stepped up fairly well.

I agree with that. His hand has been forced to a degree, but from comments he made from pretty much day one with regards to young players being more committed, I think he'd have probably thrown them in anyway.

Just feels like a bit of a managed decline to me, not the managers fault, we cut our budget to live within our means so we can't keep up with our competitors, our squad is extremely limited resulting in us finishing lower down the league and our revenues fall accordingly. Next year we cut our budget again, less funding is available as we live within our means and we continue to fall even further behind. Repeat each season until we find a level where our opponents are in a similar position. Our expectations are being slashed season by season to fit into our annual new reality.

I appreciate pumping money into a football club is a license to burn money however the reality that in order to even consider competing for a top four place the squad will require substantial investment irrespective of a talented manager. Attempting to grow organically is just as likely to lock us into a cycle of decline.

Any organisation purchasing a distressed business often do so under the realisation that to be successful a short to medium term investment is often required to return results over the longer term.

We're effectively hoping that a talented but very inexperienced manager can go against the curve and deliver results beyond our sustainable investment levels and the superior spending of our apparent rivals.

Yeah, we'd be struggling, no doubt about it, but that's hardly the managers fault is it? The day before the end of the window (even before 2/3 went out) he was telling everyone he wanted to get a few players in to supplement the squad. So that makes the squad 5/6 players light. Is that his fault?

We had three months to sort it out.

We needed a striker, yet we let three go and tried to offload another on the last day while arguing amongst ourselves over £6m for a midfielder.

Rodgers came in saying he would have the final say and did not want to work with anyone over him. Well that's fine but he takes responsibility if it fucks up.

We had three months to sort it out.

We needed a striker, yet we let three go and tried to offload another on the last day while arguing amongst ourselves over £6m for a midfielder.

Rodgers came in saying he would have the final say and did not want to work with anyone over him. Well that's fine but he takes responsibility if it fucks up.

Fucking hell, a blind man on a flying horse could see he was well and truly shafted by the people around him in the summer. Just read his comments in interviews in the last week of August ffs.

Some incredible comments on this thread.

Anyone who cannot see that we are making progress after what was a very shaky start is wilfully blind.

Rodgers was shafted in August but has got on with it. Fact is that he did not have much money to spend because of the shitload we spunked on a load of shite 12 months before.

Time to judge him will be in 12 or 18 months time.

Early signs? Not without his faults but reasonably encouraging.

Guest Pistonbroke

Anyone who cannot see that we are making progress after what was a very shaky start is wilfully blind.

Rodgers was shafted in August but has got on with it. Fact is that he did not have much money to spend because of the shitload we spunked on a load of shite 12 months before.

He spunked money himself and we are 11th. Sometimes the facts speak the truth.

I agree with that 100%.

Fucking hell, a blind man on a flying horse could see he was well and truly shafted by the people around him in the summer. Just read his comments in interviews in the last week of August ffs.

We needed a striker after Carroll departed.

Yet he spent the last day of the window trying to offload a striker (Pacheco) and trying to sign a midfielder (Dempsey.)

That is fucking stupid, and we are paying for it now.

Not everything can be laid at the feet of the owners.

Exactly what happened is a mystery. A more experienced manager might not have allowed Carroll to go without the ink dry on a replacement. Or maybe he just wanted Carroll out- Carroll's subsequent injury and scoring performance would have proved him right to date. (Dempsey also has not covered himself in glory)

I favour the cock-up over the conspiracy theory.

Guest davelfc
Until you get that turnover of players, then you can't look at it as your team.

"I'm not so sure it will be in January, to be honest. This year the club wanted to balance the books and see where it was at.

"There was a big investment in the club and obviously a lot of players went out in the summer, and a few came in. We'll look to do some business in January to help and support the players that are here.

"That's where we're at as a football club. The owners trust me to grow it over time.

FSG knew exactly what they were doing, taking fucking big risks with our club that are backfiring.

I just hope we are within touching distance of Tottenham / Arsenal by January. It will then put the club in a position to see if they really want to get into the top 4 and spend some money. We cannot afford to buy mediocre £6Million players anymore. You pay £6-£10 million for strikers you get mediocre returns (unless they are almost out of contract). We need to draw forwards to get into the top 4.

I am in 2 minds over the manager so I am sitting on the fence with him.

I think he can make it with us . There are a few things that do my head in like publicly talking about targets but I think he will do well for us.

Some of the stick he gets on here is a bit harsh.

FSG knew exactly what they were doing, taking fucking big risks with our club that are backfiring.

I think the problem is that FSG don't know what they are doing.

At every level within our club sits someone with 'L' plates on, no track record of delivering success within football at the highest level.

From our owners, to chairman, our managing director, manager to backroom staff.

Guest Pistonbroke

Yep, they thought they could make big bucks. Reality has kicked in and we are now being managed at low level. Keep things ticking over without a loss until you can get rid mode.

Guest davelfc

At every level within our club sits someone with 'L' plates on, no track record of delivering success within football at the highest level.

I mean with reference to not giving Rogers the money to get the player(s) he was talking about late into the window. I think he still thought he would be able to get them. Maybe there's some element of sell to buy in there too.

You're right of course about the 'L' plates, is that from advice they have received or is it (as suggested by the conspiracy theorists) so nobody can really see what they are up to?

It boils down to taking huge risks with the club that are (as I said earlier) backfiring. We've beaten Wigan, Reading and Norwich. We've been beaten or drawn the rest. Hardly inspiring stuff.

I just hope we are within touching distance of Tottenham / Arsenal by January. It will then put the club in a position to see if they really want to get into the top 4 and spend some money. We cannot afford to buy mediocre £6Million players anymore. You pay £6-£10 million for strikers you get mediocre returns (unless they are almost out of contract). We need to draw forwards to get into the top 4.

I am in 2 minds over the manager so I am sitting on the fence with him.

I think he can make it with us . There are a few things that do my head in like publicly talking about targets but I think he will do well for us.

Some of the stick he gets on here is a bit harsh.

It doesn't matter where we are, we are not going to be a club that tries to find success through expensive purchases. Our shopping zone is going to be around that £6-10m far more than the £15m plus, signings.

We haven't got any money, and FSG are not going to be putting money in. They are following the Randy Lerner model of investment at the start, then a gradual, yet clear reduction in costs. We will be a club that sells it's best players as soon as the price is right, then invest in younger players to try and develop them to sell, too.

We are set into an Arsenal model, but without the top 4 finishes.

True.

Controversial this perhaps, but I don't care, but I actually think American owners think English football fans are retarded. They do and say things and seem to think fans will fall for it at face value, I don't know why, I don't know if American sport fans are like that - or if they just think we're a special breed of idiot. Hicks Snr and Jnr took it to new levels with swigging from an LFC mug and being seen in an LFC scarf down the pub, but to a lesser extent I get the vibe from FSG too. You kind of feel like you're being patted on the head and told to have a nice day.

They want to exploit English football clubs for their 'worldwide appeal' because American sport doesn't have that global appeal to the same extent, and also because regulations make it harder to make big bucks from their domestic game, so they come over here and try and exploit an English club. But they don't want to get too involved, so whether it's the hiring and firing of staff, to building a ground, to even oppointing someone who's up to the task to run the thing, it's as if on some level they don't take it seriously enough to think it's really neccessary, and that the fans can be placated with a few gestures.