You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Definitely want a draw in tomorrow's game. Spurs lose points, Chelsea lose points.

Disagree

Spurs and chelsea hate each other, Levy putting strange pressure on Sherwoods position, Maureen (fucking still) unbeaten at home in the PL. Sherwoods biggest game of his (short) managerial career especially if united win before they play. It will be brilliant of Spurs can take all 3.

We need Chelsea and City to drop points in at least 1 other game than the Anfield games.

• Upvote 1

I'd be interested in england doing well in the world cup (for the first time in a few years), what with all the liverpool players in there, plus the abscence of all those sh*theads like terry and ferdinand and hopefully cole (shame rooney's still there, not sure why though he's never done anything decent for england). But part of me thinks they're going to fail - and it's going to be hodgson's fault, but the liverpool players will get the blame. Just like gerrard's taken stick for years even though he's been wasted by every england manager, even sticking him on the left wing for years.

Hodgson's somehow landed himself quite an attacking talented group of players and he's going to have them doing the Mister Burns Edwardian workout for 4 hours morning and afternoon.

''Push out the jive, bring in the love. Raise your left hock! Aerate! Raise your right hock! Aerate! Let's go! I want to see more Teddy Roosevelts, and less Franklin Roosevelts!''

• Upvote 1

They might want to investigate Wilshire shitting out of a 50/50. That's hardly the lion hearted midfield they FA will want in Brasil!

They might want to investigate Wilshire shitting out of a 50/50. That's hardly the lion hearted midfield they FA will want in Brasil!

Wilshere's version of what happened

"When I was going for it I thought: 'I'm going to get this.' About a step before, I realised: 'Oh, no I'm not.' But I'm not going to pull out of a tackle. If I had pulled out I would have got hurt even more."

He's a brave, brave English lion, Hodgson should make him captain

Wilshere's version of what happened

"When I was going for it I thought: 'I'm going to get this.' About a step before, I realised: 'Oh, no I'm not.' But I'm not going to pull out of a tackle. If I had pulled out I would have got hurt even more."

He's a brave, brave English lion, Hodgson should make him captain

But he did pull out of the tackle, didn't he? That's why he got injured.

Tomorrow - Chelsea loss, nothing else matters.

But he did pull out of the tackle, didn't he? That's why he got injured.

No! Jack Wilshere is English! He is a future leader! He shouts at senior team-mates when the game is lost! HE IS A LION

Forget what you may think you have seen and get with the programme

Draw > Chelsea win > Spurs win

Are you an Arsenal fan then?

Can't understand why anyone wouldn't prefer Chelsea to lose this game.  We have, statistically speaking, about a 15-20% chance of winning the league.  Chelsea lose and that goes up to 25-30%.

Why would anyone be worried about Spurs at this point?  They have Arsenal and Southampton to come still before they come to Anfield.  We should be at least 8 points ahead of them before that game, even if they do beat Chelsea.  They're not catching us unless we suffer an absolutely catastrophic collapse.

Believe!  It's long past time to start looking up, not down.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Spurs win please. No chance they'll be finishing ahead of us.

Fuck. Off.

Spurs will definitely finish above us, etc.

A draw is best result for us, I wouldn't like spurs to get a confidence boost and a draw would put getting ahead of Chelsea in our own hands.

Will you be saying the same thing when Chelsea end up on 85 points, just pipping us to the league by one point?

You're worried about Spurs, under Tim Sherwood, getting a "confidence boost?"  Mental.

Will you be saying the same thing when Chelsea end up on 85 points, just pipping us to the league by one point?

You're worried about Spurs, under Tim Sherwood, getting a "confidence boost?"  Mental.

Yes that is there toughest game left and if they got a win there, the first home loss mourinho would have had there then yes I would be concerned.

They have arsenal at home after they dominated them at emirates already this season and if things went well they could come to anfield brimming with confidence.

Id rather a draw which basically kills there champs league hopes and also makes Chelsea catchable, yes we will prob have to win every game but I think we need to do that to have a chance at title anyway.

Id rather a draw which basically kills there champs league hopes and also makes Chelsea catchable, yes we will prob have to win every game but I think we need to do that to have a chance at title anyway.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Spurs, but I disagree with the bit in bold as well.

According to the best statistical models, Chelsea is currently projected to end up between 82-86 points.  If we win every game from here on in we would get 89.  If we win 8 and draw 2 that would give us 85 and a better than 50-50 chance at the league, especially if we beat Chelsea (ie they were not one of the draws).

There is not much of a margin for error at this point, but there is a tiny one.  We can still lose one game, or draw two, and realistically hope for the title as long as we beat City and Chelsea at Anfield.  If we drop points in more than 2 of the remaining 10 games, which we probably will, then all we can do is hope that Chelsea drop unexpected points.  That's why I hope they lose to Spurs - because I'm not worried about Tottenham (projected to finish on 68-72 points, by the way) and we need Chelsea to start dropping points if we're going to have any margin to catch them for the title.

In case anyone's interested, these are the season projections from the model currently most favourable to us (Michael Caley from sbnation.com):

Chelsea - 83 points, GD +39

City - 82 points, +55

Liverpool - 80 points, +46

Arsenal - 76 points, +29

Spurs - 68 points, +6

We are currently projected at a 98% chance of top 4, and a 20% chance at the title.

• Upvote 1

Spurs next two games are against Chelsea and Arsenal. That's at best one point for them. Then they play Southampton and I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped points there as well.

The Cardiff win was not convincing at all and a better side would have come out of that game with at least a point and even Cardiff nearly did as well.