You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taking apart a laptop?

I use sky Saxon.

Seen on the ISP thread you mentioned Virgin media. I have just looked at what the message is your getting and it looks like your internet connection isn't secure. By the looks of it anyone can use your internet, and people can also intercept your internet communications and quite easily hack your computer.

I think you need to change the encrypt your broadband security settings on your router.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you are connecting wirelessly ?

You shouldn't need to input your username & password unless you are trying to access the interface of the router to change some settings etc.

Do you have email with sky set up through something like ms outlook or thunderbird ? This may be asking for your username etc.

Download & install malwarebytes & run a scan. See if anything pops up. that fucker finds anything.

If you are still getting internet access without submitting your username & password then something is afoot, or you have a corrupt file that stores the password.

With regards to paid anti virus I have always used nod32, as it doesn't consume resources like some others & is reasonably priced. It also tops the table for effectiveness.

For the record Flash works on 64 bit browsers in windows 7.

I stand corrected, although I gave up waiting and assumed it would die out with the increase in take up of html5, and therefore haven't checked for ages.

Have a rep

I didn't know until I realised that I was using a 64 bit browser and I was able to view flash videos, so I only realised by accident. They just never bothered making a flash version that was compatible with Vista.

IPhone is pissing about too.

Have dowloaded Malware and ran it and it hasn't picked anything up???

It may be down to the security settings on your router, how long has this been happening for?

It seems like your router is telling you that you have security issues, so you may want to do a hard reset of the router and then set it up again. Have you checked to make sure that you are using an encrypted wireless connection? If you have been able to just connect your IPhone without having to enter a security key then you don't have any encryption on your wireless. If you have no encryption then instead of resetting your router just go into your router and set up encryption that should sort the problem out.

It may be down to the security settings on your router, how long has this been happening for?

It seems like your router is telling you that you have security issues, so you may want to do a hard reset of the router and then set it up again. Have you checked to make sure that you are using an encrypted wireless connection? If you have been able to just connect your IPhone without having to enter a security key then you don't have any encryption on your wireless. If you have no encryption then instead of resetting your router just go into your router and set up encryption that should sort the problem out.

I appreciate the help mate but it needs to be in idiot speak for me to stand any chance of knowing what you're going on about sorry.

I appreciate the help mate but it needs to be in idiot speak for me to stand any chance of knowing what you're going on about sorry.

When you first connected your IPhone to the wireless internet connection did you just connect or did you have to enter a security key before you could logon to the web with your phone? If you could just login to the web then the problem is probably being caused because your internet connection isn't secure and that is why your getting messages.

If however you did have to enter a security key then you do have a secure internet connection, if this is the case then you will probably find that your security settings on the router have somehow been altered. You can do a hard reset of the router to return it to it's default settings, this should sort the problem out if it's down to the security settings playing up.

In order to do a factory reset of your router you will notice that on the back of the router by the power button there is a hole with reset underneath it. If you get something that you can insert in that hole while it is still turned on and push it in there after 30 seconds or so you will see the router turn off and on again. This will return the router to it's default settings. A piece of spaghetti works a treat, just insert it in the hole and there is a little button in there that will be pressed down, keep it in there until you see it turn off and then it will turn on again. That should sort the problem out, and if you are still having the problem then I would suggest you ask someone who can personally go and have a look to see if they can sort the problem out.

Should have also said that if you do a factory reset of the router then you should also set up security on the router.

When you first got the router did you get a CD ROM with it, this will guide you through the security set up, and they generally make them pretty simple. If you don't have this and you think you will need it contact Sky and either get them to send you a new one out or ask them to guide you through the security set up for your router.

I have a code from sky and a password to use the wireless.

I called sky and they had me turn the router on and off a few times and fuck all seemed to be happening, took the front part of the phone point off at the wall, wiggled a wire and hey presto.

Happy days!

Saxon, you clearly have very good intentions but quite often your advice is overly complex and complicated. For the lads on here asking for help it's would be best to keep it simple. It's like if someone has a key sticking you'd tell them to take all the other keys off the keyboard for best access, reinstall windows, replace the pcu and factory reset the router. They're on here asking because they don't know what to do. Keep it simple.

Above is a prime example. You didn't establish what was asking for the user/password but advised him to reset the router.... And then AFTERWARDS you check he's got the broadband details. Turns out it's a cable. For connection problems it's good practise to find out what the lights on the router are doing, change the micro filter if possible, try the test socket on the phone line etc. Not wipe the router.

Also... to pay for antivirus is unnecessary.

You're clearly a knowledgeable chap, but there's really no need to go so over the top. You can cause mayhem that will cost someone money.

Saxon, you clearly have very good intentions but quite often your advice is overly complex and complicated. For the lads on here asking for help it's would be best to keep it simple. It's like if someone has a key sticking you'd tell them to take all the other keys off the keyboard for best access, reinstall windows, replace the pcu and factory reset the router. They're on here asking because they don't know what to do. Keep it simple.

Above is a prime example. You didn't establish what was asking for the user/password but advised him to reset the router.... And then AFTERWARDS you check he's got the broadband details. Turns out it's a cable. For connection problems it's good practise to find out what the lights on the router are doing, change the micro filter if possible, try the test socket on the phone line etc. Not wipe the router.

Also... to pay for antivirus is unnecessary.

You're clearly a knowledgeable chap, but there's really no need to go so over the top. You can cause mayhem that will cost someone money.

I think the guy at Sky told him to disconnect the router in order to set up a password. I did tell him that if he didn't have encryption set up then there would be no need to reset the router. the problem was not a connectivity problem it was being caused by security warnings from his router telling him he was sending sensitive information (passwords, user-names) over an unsecured connection. If i sometimes come across as speaking in the wrong order it's only because what I may sometimes see as simple so don't include, I then realise that had best include it.

Your advice and input has been duly noted and appreciated, I will take on board what you have said.

I think the guy at Sky told him to disconnect the router in order to set up a password. I did tell him that if he didn't have encryption set up then there would be no need to reset the router. the problem was not a connectivity problem it was being caused by security warnings from his router telling him he was sending sensitive information (passwords, user-names) over an unsecured connection. If i sometimes come across as speaking in the wrong order it's only because what I may sometimes see as simple so don't include, I then realise that had best include it.

Your advice and input has been duly noted and appreciated, I will take on board what you have said.

Yeah that's all it is... You know what you're talking about so your a few steps down the line, the person asking for advice needs the basics and that's often as far as you need to go.

Nice one.

I'll stick up for him here, the solution offered by saxon was going to be my next point of call.

The re-boot of the router sounds like it solved the issue, with the wire coming loose as a side effect of moving the router to get to the power button.

When you perform a master reset it does not forget everything, it restores it to out of the box. Therefore your username etc would be as when you first had it from sky, providing you haven't made changes, which one would assume lifetime hasn't.

And just to note, relying on free anti-virus is like sticking your bare greased up arse out of a ground floor window in Brighton, sooner or later you're gonna get fucked.

Edit: took too long to type, see all is now well with world of TNF......

Edited by md1892
Spastic fingers

you can quite easily do a full reset on a sky router as it keeps all its settings. If you have changed the wireless encryption or made any manual changes all it will do is reset the router back to Sky's factory default settings - SSID (router broadcast name) & Wireless key is stuck on the bottom.

FWIW md1892 seeing as the laptop is still within its 12 month warranty, it will have a LED screen in it which means no inverter will be present.

FWIW md1892 seeing as the laptop is still within its 12 month warranty, it will have a LED screen in it which means no inverter will be present.

Far be it from me to question you george, but there are still loads with LCD screens that are for sale.

Like my current laptop.

Far be it from me to question you george, but there are still loads with LCD screens that are for sale.

Like my current laptop.

Brand new? Must be very old models. Anything less than 2 years old (manufactured date) will have a LED screen as for that time the screens are at least 50% cheaper than LCD ones plus lac on inverter & new range of energy efficient CPU's (Intel 1st & 2nd generation cores) mean better battery life as less power is required.

Probably a bit like IDE HDD's when Vista came out. Despite SATA HDD's being better and cheaper, they probably had massive surplus stock so stuck them in their early base models. I'm always astonished when I see a Vista notebook/PC with an IDE drive. Normally always a Advent, MSI, E-Machines, Medion or Packard Bell

17 inch Sony vaio i5 , with SSD, 6 month old although got a good deal. Got a lot of new tosh's at work with lcds last month ?

you sure its lcd? quite frankly amazed if they are. Sony are wired fuckers so who knows. only they could go against the grain and make their screens 15.5 instead of the standard 15.6. Just to be fucking different. Used to really like Vaio's but they've defo gone downhill of late & relying on reputation. In fact a bit like what Mercedes have done in the car industry