You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yeah Rodgers out.

Or maybe, just maybe we should let him sell Carroll on the strength that ever since he arrived at Liverpool he has looked more likely to fall over than stick the ball in the net and has only managed 6 goals in 42 league appearances for us which is shocking. Maybe he thinks he can't improve him. Maybe all the managers you all think of as being good managers got to shape their own teams once too.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never though of it like that meself, but it's a valid point.

I wouldn't say it "worries" me, exactly, but you would think that most managers would love to work with a player that cost £35m, just out of pure curiosity than anything else!

Most managers would love to work with £30m+ footballers.

Here's a list of footballers who have cost around £28m to £38m...

Luis Figo

Hernan Crespo

David Villa

Gianluigi Buffon

Carlos Tevez

Christian Vieri

Andrei Shevchenko

Dimitar Berbatov

Pavel Nedved

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Rui Costa

Rio Ferdinand

Gaizka Mendieta

Original Ronaldo

Juan Veron

Wayne Rooney

Karim Benzema

Andy Fucking Carroll

Spot the odd one out. He's a £10m footballer who cost £35m, he's not a £35m-quality footballer.

For that reason, no, I don't think Rodgers is too arsed about nurturing this wonderful talent.

I'll start being nice when people stop trying to convince others that he's rightfully part of football's royal family. Go and look at some YT clips of Christian Vieri and then come back and tell me that Andy Carroll cornered the market on brilliant powerful strikers. Please.

While you're at it, go and watch some YT vids of Niall Quinn.

It's about the money! Carroll would not be a bad player to bring on to change a game, but he's too expensive for that role. His value has probably peaked too. A few good games including one for England have added a bit of gloss, but in truth he's not got good enough technique for a top class striker, and nothing else is good enough for a starting spot at LFC. By selling Carroll we obtain funds for new signings and remove one of the most expensive earners from the wage list.

No, I got that. It was more the first person. Carroll?

I was being sarcastic! I think he was refering to Alonso, move fell through (Juventus) had a brilliant season and then moved to Real Madrid. Although Alonso also moved to Real Madrid for three times what we paid, and twice as much as he would have gone for.

Rodgers has told the world that Carroll doesn't figure in his plans so what happens on 1st September if we haven't managed to offload him? Does he go on gardening leave? Play in the reserves?

IMO Rodgers has dug himself into a hole and the outcome is that he may have to eat humble pie or, more likely, ship him out for buttons or on loan.

Why should a team/manager change a style of play to suit one player?

Especially when the player himself is less than mediocre?

It is ironic West Ham should be the team he is linked with due to his best mate being there and also the Sam Alladyce style of hoof and loof football which will suit Carroll most.

It is also hypocriticle of certain Liverpool supporters who now beleive Carroll should stay when these same Kop lot said he is crap and doesnt belong in a Liverpool shirt like some of the other Dalglish signings.

This is a new era for the Kop so get rid of the dead wood and move on.

Rodgers has told the world that Carroll doesn't figure in his plans so what happens on 1st September if we haven't managed to offload him? Does he go on gardening leave? Play in the reserves?

IMO Rodgers has dug himself into a hole and the outcome is that he may have to eat humble pie or, more likely, ship him out for buttons or on loan.

Or has he just been refreshingl;y honest and said what most football fans know anyway?

Any footballer can play his way into contention- if he is good enough.

I'm not getting why so many people keep talking about how Rodgers needs to get best value from our £35m asset. He's not a £35m asset and given that Rodgers wasn't the one that threw that amount at him he's unlikely to be holding out to try and justify that fee.

If your plan A is going to be intricate triangles, good movement and patient approach play your plan B is probably best to be a twist on that, not launching it at Carroll. It's also best not to have a massive temptation not to follow plan A on the pitch either.

Still hoping that a bit of competition for his signature might push the fee towards £20m.

Pardew speaks about Carroll:

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew believes Liverpool will have to accept a substantial loss and move on if they want to part ways with striker Andy Carroll this summer.

The 23-year-old England international's future has been a topic for debate ever since new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers hinted that he may not be part of his plans.

The manager's admission prompted the Magpies to launch a bid to bring him back to Tyneside, initially on loan, and then permanently for a fraction of the £35million for which they sold him.

Liverpool have since insisted Carroll will not be allowed to go out on loan and are understood to be holding out for around £20million, with West Ham and Fulham also having been linked with the Gateshead-born frontman.

However, Pardew said: "[Reading chairman] John Madejski used to say to me about certain players, 'Just wipe your nose and move on', and I think [Liverpool] are going to have to do that with Andy.

"I think it was obvious as soon as Brendan went into Liverpool that Andy's time was going to have to be somewhere else. I think it's quite right we're involved in that.

Upside

"Whether he comes here, is something that I will take or I will leave.

"It's a lot of money for Mike [Ashley, Newcastle owner], although we'll obviously be getting a big upside in terms of what we sold him for, and we've got three great strikers here already.

"But of course as the manager, I want the best players I can get."

Part of the fee Newcastle received for Carroll was used to replace him with Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse, who scored 29 goals between them last season, while Shola Ameobi also played an important part in the club's fifth-placed Premier League finish.

They have been linked with a series of striking targets this summer including Carroll, Luuk de Jong and Loic Remy, but the position is complicated by a release clause in Ba's contract.

Pards - Reds must accept loss | Sky Sports

There are so many things wrong with what he's saying in that article it's laughable.

Why is he talking about Carroll for a start, not his player, who does he think he is Harry Redknapp?

Surely it's Liverpool clubs decision whether to take a loss on Carroll or not. Who is he trying to kid? He's fucking 23 not some 30 year old that's past it. He's had a shit season. Plenty of 22/23 year olds have in the past. I don't see the big fuss in needing to get rid of him. It's not as if when we sell him we are going to see forwards that are worth paying that much money for wanting to come here anyway.

Rodgers has since said he wants him to fit into his system as well.

I think Pardew is going to have a tough time there next season. If Demba ba lasts a full season like last I will be massively surprised. As soon as teams start setting up defensively against them they won't know what to do.

I'm not sure they need the opinion of the Newcastle scout about a player who spent 5 years playing for Newcastle

Carr's pretty much in charge of their transfer policy. Pardew would like to think he is, but he isn't.