You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Sci-Fi Film

Sugar Ape

Greatest Sci-Fi Film  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Sci-Fi Film

• Alien
    • Aliens
    • Blade Runner
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Terminator
    • Terminator 2
    • 2001 - A Space Odyssey
    • Predator
    • Metropolis
    • Robocop
    • Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    • Star Wars - A New Hope
    • Planet Of The Apes (1968)
    • The Thing
    • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    • Donnie Darko
    • Back To The Future
    • The Matrix
    • Inception
    • E.T.
    • Star Trek II - The Wrath Of Khan
    • Solaris
    • Brazil
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Other - Please State

There are some fucking great films on this list. One I really struggle with though is the most lauded. 2001 bores the arse off me.

Also, how is Brazil SF? Dystopian future type vibe, maybe? Seems a stretch, but then again I'm not sure what genre I'd call it.

Forbidden Planet (deja vu here) - seems they are remaking this. There is also a UFO film (old TV series) suppoesedly in the works. I'd also say Pi should be on the list, and Stalker, and Ghost in the Shell, and Akira, and maybe Tetsuo just for its weirdness, oh and Eraserhead.

Put in the mood to watch a sci-fi film now - probably will be 12 Monkeys.

Forbidden Planet (deja vu here) - seems they are remaking this. There is also a UFO film (old TV series) suppoesedly in the works. I'd also say Pi should be on the list, and Stalker, and Ghost in the Shell, and Akira, and maybe Tetsuo just for its weirdness, oh and Eraserhead.

Put in the mood to watch a sci-fi film now - probably will be 12 Monkeys.

12 Monkeys is anothet top shout.

There are some fucking great films on this list. One I really struggle with though is the most lauded. 2001 bores the arse off me.

Also, how is Brazil SF? Dystopian future type vibe, maybe? Seems a stretch, but then again I'm not sure what genre I'd call it.

I have always felt the same about A Clockwork Orange. I'm a fan of Kubrick but not that piece of work.

I think some people have a narrow view of the Sci-Fi genre. I agree that Star Wars is mainly an adventure film, but seeing as it is set in space with a lot of Sci-Fi elements, it clearly comes under the genre for me. Also, some films in the list are not just Sci-Fi films. The Thing for example is as much a horror film as a Sci-Fi one. Brazil and A Clockwork Orange are the same.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi books - The Man In The High Castle - only has a vague mention of the Nazis colonizing space, and apart from that the book is pretty straight. However, as it is set in an alternate reality it comes under Science Fiction.

Also, and please try and take this in, you can only fit 25 options in a poll! I could easily have added another ten films to it off the top of my head but it's just not possible. If your film isn't listed then just state in the thread.

Agree about 2001 - boring, pretentious rubbish.

Silent Running is a good shout by Brendan.

War of the Worlds (original) is a great film (for its time).

Alien and Predator are the two I can watch again and again.

On balance I'd go for Plan Nine From Outer Space. Keep watching the skies.

Sci-fi should have a strong element of science, mystery or some kind of 'life's bigger questions' attached to it. Bladerunner, 2001, that kind of shit.

Or it should use a fantastic medium to comment on real social and political issues. That's why I've gone for Planet of the Apes, even though Star Wars is my favourite film in the list.

Much as I enjoy Alien and Aliens I've always thought of them as more horror and action/horror films with a sci-fi setting rather than pure science fiction. The Thing is a great film but again I'd say it was more horror. Contrast these with, say, Starman or Kpax, which I would argue have a stronger science fiction theme.