You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Absolute twats!

Guest San Don

FOOTBALL

ROY HODGSON COULD SAVE LIVERPOOL

Roy Hodgson could save Liverpool... but though the natives still need convincing

Sunday July 4,2010

By Colin Mafham

AS far as Liverpool are concerned they’re more used to blokes coming up from London to apologise, but this time it’s different. Roy Hodgson has arrived as their potential saviour... even though the natives still need convincing.

Where London Mayor Boris Johnson and Tory MP Jeremy Hunt touched collective raw nerves with ill-advised comments about Liverpool, football’s modern-day Roy of the Rovers will always choose his words – and players – more carefully. And in any one of the five languages he speaks fluently.

Even so, Scouseland is not short of cynics who suggest that managing a team that underachieved last season almost as badly as England’s flops did in South Africa is a bit too big a job for the quiet man from Fulham.

They’re havin’ a larf, aren’t they? No pressure intended here, but far from being out of his depth, this man could be as influential on their future as the legendary Bill Shankly has been on their past. Same level of passion for the game, only English... and with a touch of old-fashioned courtesy and class.

And, it could be said, with a rather more successful managerial record behind him to boot.

Sure, he doesn’t come with the same sort of charisma as Kenny Dalglish or his portly predecessor, Rafael Benitez. But he does have a better command of the English language than both of them and his CV is, well, in a different league.

Do yourselves a favour and just take a look at the record of the man some Merseyside doubters seemingly have such reservations about.

They still refer to Hodgson as ‘God’ in Switzerland, where he transformed a team of part-time bankers and watchmakers into serious World Cup contenders in 1994 and European Championship qualifiers two years later, as well as lifting them to an incredible No3 in FIFA’s world rankings along the way.

They love him so much in Malmo that they offered Hodgson a lifetime contract for leading the club to no fewer than five consecutive Swedish championships.

And when he declined that in favour of fresh challenges, worshipping fans named a new stand Roy’s Corner after him.

They rate him so highly at Inter Milan that the Italian giants actually tried to get him to go back there for a THIRD spell BEFORE they appointed Jose Mourinho, so impressed were they by the UEFA Cup Final he steered them to in 1997 and went on to win a year later.

They also remember him with fondness in Finland, Norway and Denmark – all places he stopped off with no mean success during an amazing, globetrotting career.

And who knows, the FA would probably have offered him the England job – having twice considered the prospect before – if he hadn’t opted to take over at Liverpool.

Okay, so things didn’t go so smoothly at Bristol City, Blackburn Rovers and in the United Arab Emirates, but hey... what’s good enough for entire countries and legends like Inter should be worth a shout at Anfield, shouldn’t it?

But finally, to Fulham. No wonder there are still lumps in a few throats at Craven Cottage over the departure of a manager who didn’t just make a fairytale come true there last season, but who won over an army of admirers off the field as well.

Players like Danny Murphy, Bobby Zamora, Brede Hangeland, Damien Duff and even Clint Dempsey all acknowledge the huge influence Hodgson has had on their careers and openly talk of their respect and admiration for him.

“He was always willing to go the extra mile for us – an absolute gentleman,” said one emotional insider.

“He gave us 100 per cent and we will always remember him for that no matter who takes over from him.”

Hardly surprising, really, being that it was Fulham who got to the Europa League Final last season, not Liverpool. Remember also that it was Hodgson who was named Manager of the Year by his Premier League peers, not Benitez.

Memories, they say, are made of this. In Liverpool’s case they have a bright future to look forward to as well. Whatever fears they might harbour, Roy Hodgson will never let them down. Or, indeed, walk alone.

Has to be a spoof, surely nobody can be this stupid?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang on mate.

This is the first season of re-building the crap that was left from the Hicks and Gillett era.

No need to go in detail over the transfers because we know how much of a disaster most of them have been.

Dalglish should be given the summer to right the wrongs of last years transfer mistakes but like you say if come this point next season we are in the same boat then serious questions do need asking an i myself would have no regrets if Kenny departed.

Coop i fully enjoy reading your posts....

As someone hacked your account? Most of Rafa buys was good, i can only think you mean the freebies.....Maxi, Cole et all, if you wish to talk about shit transfers, you need not look any further than the trash under Dalglish this season. Real.... I'm all for giving Kenny another season but after what was spent & wastage we have seen, i seriously have doubts about giving them (KD & DC) any more money at all. Maybe they should be forced to work in the same well - sell to buy.

Kenny should be here next season,the league form has been below acceptable but as others have said you can't ignore the cup win and possible domestic cup double.

We are we're we deserve to be but we are not far from challenging everyone expect the top two.

We also have a nucleus of young players,some who have stepped up others who need to do more and hopefully after a season to settle they will.

If we can get a goal scorer and winger in the summer we will not be far off 3/4 place.

We spent heavily though net spend is pretty low for rebuilding a side.

On the whole the football has been good or excellent at times with just the finishing letting us down.We have European football next season which will be a excellent for getting the fri he youngsters time on the pitch.Im hopefully they play in the league cup/Europa league games as the are stagnating at reserve level.We will loose the best of them if they don't get games.

Looking through the age of our squad and we have a nice mix of youth and experience.

I think Kuyt will go as he wants games and as great as he has been we need younger quicker players and if he isn't happy being a squad member he should be moved on.

Do taking out Kuyt,Maxi,Aurelio who may not be here and Carra,Gerrard,Pepe and Bellamy who most likely will

Defenders

RB

Johnson 27,Kelly 21,Flanno19

LB

J Enrique 26,Roninson 18

CB

Agger,Skrtel 27,Coates 21

Centre Midfield

Henderson 21,Shelvey 20,Adam 26,Lucas 25,Spearing 23

Wide Midfield

Downing 27,Sterling 17

Suarez 25,Carroll 23

The squad on the whole has been mostly rebuilt through the middle and if we can get the right wide players and striker we are not in bad shape.

I'm more frustrated this season than pissed off like I was at times last year as it seems a massive missed opportunity this year than we may massively regret missing out on.

Coop i fully enjoy reading your posts....

As someone hacked your account? Most of Rafa buys was good, i can only think you mean the freebies.....Maxi, Cole et all, if you wish to talk about shit transfers, you need not look any further than the trash under Dalglish this season. Real.... I'm all for giving Kenny another season but after what was spent & wastage we have seen, i seriously have doubts about giving them (KD & DC) any more money at all. Maybe they should be forced to work in the same well - sell to buy.

Nah mate sorry i didn't mean the crap from Rafa i meant the way Hicks and Gillett ran the club.

Personally i think under the conditions Rafa worked with he did a superb job.

Your correct as regards the recent transfer activity which have been nothing short of a disaster.

None of which would matter if he won more football matches

Results are important, but the club know what needs to be done to rebuild after the Hicks and Gillette era and that’s why Kenny has come out and called a lot of the media clueless and idiots. They have no idea the scale of work required to get us back to the top. We have an idea because we have witnessed it first hand.

What people seem to forget is that even though we have not won the league in 20 gazillion years (which lets be honest it does feel like it) we have still ate at the top table by winning every other competition. I know the league is our bread and butter, but it hasn’t been all that bad in that time.

The media use this stick of not winning the league to beat us with and as they have a massive love in with United (yes because they keep winning but the PR machine at United is second to none) we are the easiest targets.

I know we are at least 3-4 years from winning the league, no matter who is manager, no matter who is bought and sold, no matter what. And that reason is because the mentality at the club (top to bottom) was too much like the old values of the old days and we took it for granted when Sky came along that everything would continue as it had done previously.

Our problem was that we stood back off the field and did not have the right people to exploit our financial potential, which I was happy to do at the time, but hindsight has proved otherwise.

We have had managers waste vast amounts of money on transfers, however that is the nature of the beast as every transfer is a gamble. We are all quick to laud a small transfer fee when it works out as expected, but we are quick to jump on a players back when they don’t live up to the expectations set by their high price tags. Which let’s be honest the player did not set that price, the two negotiating clubs did. So how about people start getting off players backs and actually start supporting and willing them on. Specifically Carroll and Henderson, two young lads who are not expected to hit their prime for a few more years yet, but no we expect them to be the finished article as soon as they have signed on the dotted line and the ink is dry.

We bought last January and Summer with the future in mind, but due to idiots dribbling on their chins the expectation became unrealistic but because those wont admit they were wrong and did not understand the epic proportions of what rebuilding and restructuring needed to be done you have idiots demanding that pony they wanted was delivered yesterday. Beyond unreasonable doubt quite a lot our fan base at the moment needs to change their way of thinking and take a step back, and ask themselves are they being unreasonable?

The answer should be a resounding yes.

Downing will be a good player for us, although he was over priced, and I think Henderson could become a good player also.

Caroll just seems to have been a waste of money, unfortunately a £35m waste of money. Sterling needs to be playing between now and the end of the season, instead of Aurelio have him on the bench. Because I am starting to think this perenial focus on the youth is a bit of a ruse to spend less money.

The stats that says everything about this season for me is

414 shots on goal

167 off them actually hit the target

35 of them actually resulted in a goal

That is a terrible rate and unless improved we will struggle again.The defence has been pretty good but IMO they end up sitting too deep and have the pressure of knowing one mistake can cost us points because the attack are not converting there chances.

I get what you saying about the youth Whelan but we needed the younger players IMO.It means that we are in a position to just buy the right player over the next couple of years without having to worry about a ageing squad the way Chelsea are.

this man could be as influential on their future as the legendary Bill Shankly has been on their past. Same level of passion for the game, only English... and with a touch of old-fashioned courtesy and class.

And, it could be said, with a rather more successful managerial record behind him to boot.

Haha, even without hindsight that's one of the funniest lines in the history of sports journalism.

Results are important, but the club know what needs to be done to rebuild after the Hicks and Gillette era and that’s why Kenny has come out and called a lot of the media clueless and idiots. They have no idea the scale of work required to get us back to the top. We have an idea because we have witnessed it first hand.

I know we are at least 3-4 years from winning the league, no matter who is manager, no matter who is bought and sold, no matter what. And that reason is because the mentality at the club (top to bottom) was too much like the old values of the old days and we took it for granted when Sky came along that everything would continue as it had done previously.

did not set that price, the two negotiating clubs did. So how about people start getting off players backs and actually start supporting and willing them on. Specifically Carroll and Henderson, two young lads who are not expected to hit their prime for a few more years yet, but no we expect them to be the finished article as soon as they have signed on the dotted line and the ink is dry.

We bought last January and Summer with the future in mind, but due to idiots dribbling on their chins the expectation became unrealistic but because those wont admit they were wrong and did not understand the epic proportions of what rebuilding and restructuring needed to be done you have idiots demanding that pony they wanted was delivered yesterday. Beyond unreasonable doubt quite a lot our fan base at the moment needs to change their way of thinking and take a step back, and ask themselves are they being unreasonable?

The answer should be a resounding yes.

But if you were to ask ANYONE if we had quite clearly wasted £100m - or at the very least spent poorly - that answer would be a resounding "yes" also.

We can quack on about Hicks, Moore, Parry, Budgie, marketing as much as we like, and nobody is suggesting that they are not mitigating factors, but the fact is we have bought some really shit players, who have played really shit, and we've been really shit in the league.

We are through to the semi final of the FA cup in a few weeks time down at Wembley.

If we win that game then we return for the final.

If we win the FA Cup that means we have done the domestic cup double.

This means that next season when the team pics are being taken rather then just sticking a few Lucozade bottles in front of the players there will be two shiny trophies there instead.

We have achieved all this in the first full season under Dalglish in which is the start of a massive rebuilding project.

I presume fan's who are so upset at our campaign under Dalglish didn't bother going to the Carling Cup final and won't be trying to get tickets for the semi final either.

They probably will turn over rather then watch when the game is on in such disgust at us only being Carling cup winners and playing in another semi final.

Some much needed words of reason amongst the sensationlist nonsense that is spouted on here so much.

some people on here are as bad as the media

league position is shite agreed but it's part of a rebuilding process and kenny has brought us the first bit of silver-ware in 6 years

whilst it's not where we want to be - it's progress. any fucking fool can see that.

ok we made some mistakes in the transfer market but the pickings weren't exactly rich

if anyone can get the best out of what he has got it's kenny - hopefully we sign 2 or 3 decent players who can turn them silly draws into wins next season and ship out some of the deadwood.

Kenny's a fan first and foremost and will do his best. No-one hurts more than him when we drop points.

Why are so many people on here pointing to the FA cup?

We have not won the FA cup. Stop counting chickens.

Winning the FA cup is certainly not a given at the moment considering the form of our players. I hope we do but there are still two big games ahead of us. The season hinges on them. Being semi-finalists mean nothing.

I just think people should stop pointing to the FA cup in defence of the team and Kenny. Stop jinxing it!

There can be no doubt that our legue form has been disappointing, for the club, the management, the players and ourselves. It has also been a let down for Dominic King. But for the others contributing to this 'analysis' of our season it is no more than an opportunity to take a few free shots at Dalglish - a man who treats our football journalists, generally, with the contempt they deserve.

Coop makes good points about winning trophies, and we should take such successes as indications that our club isn't in quite the parlous state that our press pack would have others believe. Access to the Champions League isn't exactly closed to us at the moment but we just can't afford to drop any more points on the league run in. I feel that Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle will stutter; the first two because of a crisis of confidence and dips in form, the latter because of an overall lack of quality, certainly in defence. We can only hope for others to implode but we should be ready to grasp what opportunity arises, so wiinning our remaining games is essential.

If our optimism is realised and we add fourth place to the Carling Cup, hopefully along with the FA Cup, then it will be a season from heaven. And it would rub shit in the faces of of the snide fuckers whose vengeful snipings at our club this season have gone way beyond mere football comment. Kenny, I believe, has not been beyond criticism this season but when that criticism comes we should all take note of its source and always question its motivation.

Some much needed words of reason amongst the sensationlist nonsense that is spouted on here so much.

Success in the cups will not satisfy the fans for very long - we've been down this road before with Dr Hou. Solid consistency in the league is what we badly need - that must be the target above all else at the moment. Personally if I had to choose which Id prefare for this and next season, I'd take finishing fourth over a cup. We've been inconsistent for most of the last 15/20yrs now and the few cups we've won along the way (fantastic as they were) have just papered over the big problem. Kenny will be in charge for next season but if things are not going well ie we're not seriously challenging for the top 4 by Xmas then the club must act. If we bury our heads in the sand and ignore reality as we did with Dr Hou and Rafa, we'll start to go backwards. As painful as it would be to see the King sacked/moved upstairs, it would be more painful to have to watch us continue to struggle to finish in the top 6 or 7. I'm sure theres a lot of great work being done behind the scenes to clean up after Hicks & Gillett but results on the pitch in the league are what they will be judged on. Produce or move on Kenny.

I think Kenny invites so e of the pops at him though with how he gives his interviews and what he's been saying recently. There's backing the players and then there is looking like you are in complete denial or even worse actually believing what he's recently said. There's no doubt Kenny deserves another season and a summer window to correct things and he really does have to do his homework on players this time. As for critisized it's to be expected since Christmas we have been as bad as anything before, we are a frustrating team with players that just look utter shit a the moment. 28 points behind united just makes me want to puke.

But if you were to ask ANYONE if we had quite clearly wasted £100m - or at the very least spent poorly - that answer would be a resounding "yes" also.

We can quack on about Hicks, Moore, Parry, Budgie, marketing as much as we like, and nobody is suggesting that they are not mitigating factors, but the fact is we have bought some really shit players, who have played really shit, and we've been really shit in the league.

Gloriously missing the point. As I alluded that our previous managers have wasted money. It happen at every club but we haven't won the league. We has bought for the future as I have pointed out so until those players leave the club they can be judged as a failure or success. Not one season.

There is a bigger picture than just on the pitch at the moment. But I wouldn't expect you to look that far past your PC monitor.

What some fans and media need to understand is winning a cup but being poor in the league is not acceptable and no-one at the club will be doing so.

What they will be doing though is using it as a platform to build on for next season and learn from our mistakes and hopefully eradicate them.

The league form has been poor it can not be denied , the FA cup has to be won and I hope we finish in a UEFA cup league finish eg 5th 6th.But I have to be honest how we are playing I doubt it.Yet again the summer is going to be important who comes in ,who goes out.

I see the daily wail are doing a hatchet job on the King this morning. Im not putting a link up or copy bits from that piece of shite but, basically its an 'I told you so' job and a re hash of old shite.

Dom King is the supposed voice of reason but his comments are last as you'd expect. Im only surprised bluto didnt wade in as well.

Fuck off, fuck off, fuck off!

You'd nearly miss dom kings comments amidst all the other shite being written. That ladyman's a fucking right tool isnt he?

I thought the piece was bang-on. Sometimes the truth hurts. But the facts are there, we have been garbage in the PL this year. I don`t know how being 3 points in front of Swansea can be classed as success with the amount of money we have spent and the amount Swansea have spent. It`s pretty embarrassing really. It seems the players can only turn it on against the top 6 teams (and Everton), which is totally unprofessional to say the least. We have to face it that we are not going to sign any top class players unless we are in the CL. To get in the CL you need a team of top cleass players. Catch 22. Top class players are not going to come to Liverpool after winning the CC and possibly the F.C cup. That is FACT.

Remember that this season we had no Euopean football to "distract" us in the PL and claim "fatigue", so what the hell is it going to be like next season in the PL when we are playing the Europa league?