You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Former Hull City striker Dean Windass admits he tried to kill himself | Football | guardian.co.uk

Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with the bloke. Depression is an awful, debilitating disease and I feel for anyone who's going through it.

There's an inference here that part of Windass' problem is down to having little income. The article goes on to say that at the top of his career he was earning £1/2m a year. Surely anyone with a handful of brain cells would ensure they took advice about their money and ensured they would be comfortable for life. The last paragraph in the article doesn't sit right with me at all - "The PFA need to help us". To me that smacks of the something-for-nothing society everyone seems to have signed up to. Except that as opposed to not ever having worked for a living and just picked up dole, Windass was a self made millionaire who's blown the lot. And it's someone else's fault apparently.

Also, he puts lime in his lager. Fucking hell.

The former Hull City striker Dean Windass has revealed he tried to kill himself this month after battling with drink and depression following the end of his playing career two years ago.

Windass, 42, who scored the goal that took his home town club Hull into the top flight of English football for the first time in their 104-year history in 2008, also appeared in the Premier League for Bradford City and Middlesbrough. He ended his professional career, which spanned 19 seasons, in 2010.

"I have cried every day for the last two years since retiring. People outside football think we have it all. But I was in a hole that I honestly didn't know how to get out of," he told the People. "Just over a week ago I hit rock bottom and decided to end it all.

"I first took an overdose and when that didn't work tried to hang myself. I felt so alone and believed I had nothing to live for. I need to sort myself out which is why I'm speaking out now. It's part of me getting better – part of the healing process.

"People have this image of me as this big strong man who can take anything life throws at him. But I'm not ashamed to say I wanted to end it after a string of setbacks. I knew I'd been a fool but I couldn't shake off the depression at feeling what a failure I'd become."

Windass said he could not cope after finishing his career and began drinking, often consuming 15 pints of lager and lime. He said his marriage broke up and, with little income, estranged from his family and grieving for his father John who had recently died, he decided to kill himself.

Windass said that although at the height of his fame he was earning more than half a million pounds a year, most of his money was now gone and he was living on what little savings he had left. "The Professional Footballers' Association or the governing body need to help us. I have hurt the people closest to me, so I've come out today and admitted I need help," he said.

he works for Sky doesn't he? them on Gillette Soccer Special aren't exactly on peanuts by all accounts

To be fair, I haven't seen his brand of intelligent mid-match insight much this season on SSN.

Always had a soft spot for Dean since he twatted the ball off the side of Jeff Winter's head at Anfield when Winter gave us a pen.

Is the Dean windass thing......Dean Windass is 42 filled with depression, suicidal but potentially a better option than Carroll...?

Dean has 203 goals to his name,a career average of 1:3, and scored 2 in three for Scarborough Athletic last season, the old magic is still there......

The last paragraph in the article doesn't sit right with me at all - "The PFA need to help us". To me that smacks of the something-for-nothing society everyone seems to have signed up to. Except that as opposed to not ever having worked for a living and just picked up dole, Windass was a self made millionaire who's blown the lot. And it's someone else's fault apparently.

I think unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head there pal. It isn't like he's been on crazy money since he was 16 like a lot of footballers.

During his stint as a brickie earning a normal wage you would have thought he may of acquired some financial management skill like the rest of us have to.

There's an inference here that part of Windass' problem is down to having little income. The article goes on to say that at the top of his career he was earning £1/2m a year. Surely anyone with a handful of brain cells would ensure they took advice about their money and ensured they would be comfortable for life.

It's all relative, whilst that's a substantial amount of money for your average joe, it isn't for those in the profession. Within that comes it's own stresses, as he's been suffering from. I sort of agree with his argument for the PFA to help out too, he would of had little if any guidance financially and at the end of a players career they're often dropped like a hot potato, very few have enough brains to think i better get coaching badges and so on.

So Windass tries and fails to kill himself = comedy.

But Gary Speed actually accomplishes it = tragic?

Must remember to jot this down, never sure which one to laugh at.

You do know what website forum you're on? May i suggest lurking for a bit longer?

Both can be comedy gold, both can be tragic, it depends on the context and the line used.

Guest The Chimp

Him asking for help is not so much about money from my reading, more so about help with depression that arises from stopping playing/the need for the FA to prepare players for life after football - which to be fair I thought they already did.

So Windass tries and fails to kill himself = comedy.

But Gary Speed actually accomplishes it = tragic?

Must remember to jot this down, never sure which one to laugh at.

I'm not sure anyone said it was comedy. You might wasnt to re-read the thread before you start pointing fingers.

Former Hull City striker Dean Windass admits he tried to kill himself | Football | guardian.co.uk

Don't get me wrong, I sympathise with the bloke. is an awful, debilitating disease and I feel for anyone who's going through it.

There's an inference here that part of Windass' problem is down to having little income. The article goes on to say that at the top of his career he was earning £1/2m a year. Surely anyone with a handful of brain cells would ensure they took advice about their money and ensured they would be comfortable for life. The last paragraph in the article doesn't sit right with me at all - "The PFA need to help us". To me that smacks of the something-for-nothing society everyone seems to have signed up to. Except that as opposed to not ever having worked for a living and just picked up dole, Windass was a self made millionaire who's blown the lot. And it's someone else's fault apparently.

Also, he puts lime in his lager. Fucking hell.

The former Hull City striker Dean Windass has revealed he tried to kill himself this month after battling with drink and depression following the end of his playing career two years ago.

Windass, 42, who scored the goal that took his home town club Hull into the top of English football for the first time in their 104-year history in 2008, also appeared in the Premier League for Bradford City and Middlesbrough. He ended his professional career, which spanned 19 seasons, in 2010.

"I have cried every day for the last two years since retiring. People outside football think we have it all. But I was in a hole that I honestly didn't know how to get out of," he told the People. "Just over a week ago I hit rock bottom and decided to end it all.

"I first took an overdose and when that didn't work tried to hang myself. I felt so alone and believed I had nothing to live for. I need to sort myself out which is why I'm speaking out now. It's part of me getting better – part of the healing process.

"People have this image of me as this big strong man who can take anything life throws at him. But I'm not ashamed to say I wanted to end it after a string of setbacks. I knew I'd been a fool but I couldn't shake off the depression at feeling what a failure I'd become."

Windass said he could not cope after finishing his career and began drinking, often consuming 15 pints of lager and lime. He said his marriage broke up and, with little income, estranged from his family and grieving for his father John who had recently died, he decided to kill himself.

Windass said that although at the height of his fame he was earning more than half a million pounds a year, most of his money was now gone and he was living on what little savings he had left. "The Professional Footballers' Association or the governing body need to help us. I have hurt the people closest to me, so I've come out today and admitted I need help," he said.

To you ? this smacks of a something for nothing society that everyone !! seems to have signed onto?

Who the fuck are you to say that you ignorant cunt. Did you finish your sunday mail crossword today.

To you ? this smacks of a something for nothing society that everyone !! seems to have signed onto?

Who the fuck are you to say that you ignorant cunt. Did you finish your sunday mail crossword today.

Well you're a bit of a mouthy prick aren't you old son.

Evidently it's passed you by - there is a burgeoning something-for-nothing culture which has flourished over the last generation. "Who the fuck am I" is someone who has grafted for years for what I've got and don't subscribe to that culture. The last paragraph in the article makes Windass sound like someone who's had the lot, pissed it up the wall and is holding out his begging bowl for money. Or maybe you don't read it like that. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it.

Then again, I don't think I would, you arrogant fucktard.

For the record, you might have noticed that I picked that article up when browsing the Guardian earlier today, not the Mail on Sunday, you brainless cockgobbling gobshite.

I think he means they need to help educate players how to manage their money and deal with the lifestyle.

Hope he finds the help he needs and something useful to do. Those two things might be interrelated.

...is fair enough. And I hope he gets whatever help he needs. I'm surprised organisations like the PFA and people like agents don't offer advice during players' careers though, to stop them getting into a financial state once their playing careers are finished. Or maybe they do and he didn't listen.

Like someone already said he's earned more money than a lot of people will earn in their lifetimes so there's no reason for him or any other successful former player to be financially screwed.

Well you're a bit of a mouthy prick aren't you old son.

Evidently it's passed you by - there is a burgeoning something-for-nothing culture which has flourished over the last generation. "Who the fuck am I" is someone who has grafted for years for what I've got and don't subscribe to that culture. The last paragraph in the article makes Windass sound like someone who's had the lot, pissed it up the wall and is holding out his begging bowl for money. Or maybe you don't read it like that. I'd be interested in hearing your take on it.

Then again, I don't think I would, you arrogant fucktard.

For the record, you might have noticed that I picked that article up when browsing the Guardian earlier today, not the Mail on Sunday, you brainless cockgobbling gobshite.

I wasn't really expecting anything differently to be honest as I could have wrote your response in my sleep.

A football forum is not the place for this but seeing as I believe you to be a good red,( from other posts) it doesn't alter the fact that your smug attitude to the fringes of society left hanging by the last 20 yrs of continued deprivation of aspiration has you down as I said before with the addition that you really are a phoney judgmental semi stuck up prick.( browsing the guardian! for fucks sake)

I bet you never realised until now. If it means anything i've worked all my life myself. Not that it's a badge of honour as you might seem it to be you chivalrous servant you.

I wasn't really expecting anything differently to be honest as I could have wrote your response in my sleep.

A football forum is not the place for this but seeing as I believe you to be a good red,( from other posts) it doesn't alter the fact that your smug attitude to the fringes of society left hanging by the last 20 yrs of continued deprivation of aspiration has you down as I said before with the addition that you really are a phoney judgmental semi stuck up prick.( browsing the guardian! for fucks sake)

I bet you never realised until now. If it means anything i've worked all my life myself. Not that it's a badge of honour as you might seem it to be you chivalrous servant you.

Oh do pipe down will you. You're so very boring. And learn some punctuation as I've really no idea what you're rattling on about.

Oh do pipe down will you. You're so very boring. And learn some punctuation as I've really no idea what you're rattling on about.

There you go again. you don't even know you're doing it my friend. And do yourself a favour, never begin a sentence with the letter And. Oops

Chuckle chuckle chuckle. No worries fellow red.