You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'You should have stayed at a big club'

Guest San Don

I have no problem with Dave, the owner of the site who doesn't go around call members cunts if they have a different opinion. He debates his opinion. I have no problem with other gold members who do the same.

It is immature people like you who just fire needless insults who I have a problem with. You complain about the standard of the posting on the FF. Well a lot of the gold members are the problem.

Dont be a brown nose. Who the fuck are you to tell me to stop calling people names? Stop getting so precious. You're like one of those arseholes who goes running to the teacher every 5 minutes when something happens.

I do debate football on here and gold members arent the problem. Far from it. The problem is the wums who come on here and wind people up because this isnt the site they use the most. Not the gold members who contribute to the running of the site.

He wasn't far off, but he also wasn't amongst the best during the time he played.

Just because you have the horn for him, doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

And I don't RECKON anything.

I'll be there sunday.

Will you?

No, not going Sunday, I'm in work as it goes; but then I tell the truth. Emlyn's close to world class eh; never mind, he nearly made it.....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Emlyn Hughes? He reckons he's followed the Reds for donkeys years and doesn't reckon Emlyn to be world class.....Thoughts???.....He hasn't has he?

Bit before my time. So I couldn't really comment on him.

Dont be a brown nose. Who the fuck are you to tell me to stop calling people names? Stop getting so precious. You're like one of those arseholes who goes running to the teacher every 5 minutes when something happens.

I do debate football on here and gold members arent the problem. Far from it. The problem is the wums who come on here and wind people up because this isnt the site they use the most. Not the gold members who contribute to the running of the site.

Not being a brown nose, just trying to raise the standard of this place and get people to debate rather than fire insults.

I know the gold members help keep this place going... as do people who buy the mag etc. But I don't think that gives them a licence to insult fellow members if they disagree with an opinion.

He wasn't far off, but he also wasn't amongst the best during the time he played.

Just because you have the horn for him, doesn't make my opinion any less valid.

And I don't RECKON anything.

I'll be there sunday.

Will you?

"I've got a ticket. I'm a better person than you. Now shut up and obey me."

I love the way that a thread that's based on the premise of Liverpool being "a big club" has turned into the world's pettiest hissy slapfight.

[YOUTUBE]BFCb4j0E2p4[/YOUTUBE]

I'll leave you bitches to it for a while.

If you couldn't comment on Emlyn Hughes then you need to do your homework; Billy Liddell was before my time but I brushed up on him. Is he world class by the way Swindle? Oh sorry, he's Scottish so he probably gets a pass.

I have seen lots of footage of Hughes and I know how versitile and what a great character he was. I know he is a legend at the club, but I didn't see him week in, week out or know enough about others playing at the same time to comment if he was world class or not.

I would suspect he was, given his reputation.

Guest ShoePiss

So a jackeen is a perjorative term given to someone from Dublin, it appears that it's history goes back to Dubliners being 'too British'.

Union Jack, jackeen = little jack.

Robbie OR likes cricket, it's all starting to make sense.

So a jackeen is a perjorative term given to someone from Dublin, it appears that it's history goes back to Dubliners being 'too British'.

Union Jack, jackeen = little jack.

Robbie OR likes cricket, it's all starting to make sense.

The funny thing is, only the Irish who arent Dubs use it. And Swindlethis says he's English. I call bollocks.

Yep, not english though, which is how this started - cockwomble seems to have something of a hard on for terry, and was aghast when I said he isn't world class.

then again he listed Les Ferdinand as a world class player.

I think what Brendan was saying was that Terry, like him or loath him, was actually very good on the ball - better than most playing in that position in England.

I don't believe Terry was truly world class either, but I do feel he has been a very very good player, one of the best defenders in Europe for a number of years. As Jamie Carragher indisputably was.

Both of these players are excellent readers of the game. Carragher, in particular has a fantastic ability to be in the right place at the right time in 'all hands to the pump' situations. He still reads the game better than just about any CB in the league. Problem is, his pace, stamina and strength are all on the wane, and if the team are not set up to cover for your physical shortcomings, then they are going to be exposed more frequently.

So Carragher and Terry have many things in common, apart from Terry's mother. Anticipation and determination to win are the qualities that elevate them beyond the place their 'skills' would naturally take them.

And for the record, I thought Sir Les was a great player. Not world class.

I think what Brendan was saying was that Terry, like him or loath him, was actually very good on the ball - better than most playing in that position in England.

I don't believe Terry was truly world class either, but I do feel he has been a very very good player, one of the best defenders in Europe for a number of years. As Jamie Carragher indisputably was.

Both of these players are excellent readers of the game. Carragher, in particular has a fantastic ability to be in the right place at the right time in 'all hands to the pump' situations. He still reads the game better than just about any CB in the league. Problem is, his pace, stamina and strength are all on the wane, and if the team are not set up to cover for your physical shortcomings, then they are going to be exposed more frequently.

So Carragher and Terry have many things in common, apart from Terry's mother. Anticipation and determination to win are the qualities that elevate them beyond the place their 'skills' would naturally take them.

Here's the one problem I have with your view.

If Carra is such a good reader of the game, why does he get caught out of position and have to chuck himself about making last ditch tackles?

Same with terry.

I would regard Sami as a much better reader of the game, because he hardly ever had to make the kind of tackles that Carra has to on a regular basis.

I really hope you're kidding about les ferdinand - he was OK, but certainly not great or even close to world class.

I have seen lots of footage of Hughes and I know how versitile and what a great character he was. I know he is a legend at the club, but I didn't see him week in, week out or know enough about others playing at the same time to comment if he was world class or not.

I would suspect he was, given his reputation.

Your suspiscions are correct, I was fortunate enough to watch him regularly, he was magnificent.

Since this thread is already completely derailed, why not bring our Mancunian friends into it... Ferguson was interviewed by BBC recently - and my brother in law Manc brought this thread to my attention:

Have England only produced one 'world class' player since 1966? - RedCafe.net

Basically, Ferguson suggests that Gazza is the only World Class player England has produced since the '66 squad. His definition of world class (I think he actually uses "world star") in that sense is similar to Swindle This' I suspect...

Here's the one problem I have with your view.

If Carra is such a good reader of the game, why does he get caught out of position and have to chuck himself about making last ditch tackles?

Same with terry.

I would regard Sami as a much better reader of the game, because he hardly ever had to make the kind of tackles that Carra has to on a regular basis.

I really hope you're kidding about les ferdinand - he was OK, but certainly not great or even close to world class.

Carragher's last ditch tackles are very typically made when the ball is kicking around in the 6 yard box, or at least well inside the penalty area. Often coming in from the wings. He's in the right position to make them. If he wasn't, goals would result. Hypvia wasn't as good at reading the play in and around the area as Carragher - or if he was, his lack of agility prevented him from making the sort of blocks and tackles that Carragher is renowned for quite as often. Hypvia was a great defender for us, a real presence at the back.

I'm not kidding about Ferdinand; had we bought him, which we tried to do at one point, he would have been a great player for us.

To be honest mate I thought both Carra and Terry between the years 2004-2007 were both world class when they had probably 2 of the worlds best club managers in charge of them respectively during that period which helped them enormously. They also both had outstanding partners in defence (Sami and Carvalho) but thats to take nothing away from either of them. I suppose they were both part of a world class defensive partnership to be more specific.

Looking back now I have tremendous admiration for Carra to have adapted to the role as well as he did though as he had played mostly as a full back prior to Rafa taking over.

I see what you're trying to do but the issue isn't as black and white as that.

Would Carragher have got 700 Games for the club in the 70's and 80's. No. Because we already had one of the best defensive partnerships around.

Do I think he could have played a key roll? Damn right.

Would that be a forward roll, or a backwards roll?

Brilliant defender?

My arse.

He looks good when he has someone like Carvalho to clean up his mess.

A brilliant defender doesn't need to make last ditch tackles and throw themselves around, because they have positional awareness, tactical awareness and spatial awareness.

The media have hyped John "Lionheart" Terry into something he's not, and never has been.

This is easy to see when him and ferdinand play together for england - both exactly the same type of player who get caught out time and time again because at their respective clubs they always had someone mopping up after them.

Spot fucking on. Thats why with that defensive partnership we have been continually raped in international tournaments

Amount of games shouldn't be any more of a measurement than international football imo. Would Carra have gotten 700 games if his competition was Lawrenson/Hansen? You have to consider we are not the powerhouse of football we were in the 70s/80s. I'm not dissing Carra, as 700 games at any club is a huge achievement, but I think him getting 700 games for us is a bit of a testament to our downfall. He really shouldn't have played as many games as fullback in the 90s/00s, nor as many games as CB the last couple of seasons. He's been "lucky" (meaning more games - less trophies) not to have quality competition at times, as well as his obvious heart and determination to succeed and be part of LFC.

One of the worst posts i've ever read on this site.

Not to mention Dudek after shevchenko got inside Carra for the umpteenth time in the game.

Using fucking Istanbul as a stick to beat Carra with is fucking low.

i Don't talk half as much shite as some of the fucking whoppers who think they know everything cos they have their name in gold, and have probably never even been to a game.

I'll say it right out.

Carra is a legend, a decent player who has done really well for us, but anyone who thinks he is, or ever was world class is a deluded fuckwit who is trying to re-write history.

Carra himself has said he is not world class - you want to dispute it? go and fucking argue with him.

You callin me a deluded fuckwit? RIGHT. OTTERSPOOL IT IS. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

I'll be there sunday.

Will you?

Sounds like a tagline from an awful Van Damme film.

Can't believe how this thread has developed tbh. Fucking mental, this site is.

Spot fucking on. Thats why with that defensive partnership we have been continually raped in international tournaments

Not spot on. Terry was world class. As evidenced by his 3 UEFA club defender of the year awards, voted for by the coaches of the 16 teams who reach the Champions League knockout stages.

Jamie Carragher's last ditch challenges weren't a result of poor positioning, yes he made recovering challenges like EVERY SINGLE DEFENDER IN THE HISTORY OF FOOTBALL. But he had a fucking knack of being in the right place, right time and watch back over the years. That for me is the sign of a world class defender.