You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pepe talked out of leaving by his wife in January

Randy Marsh

Just wondering does anybody know if Pepe's agent have the clause removed which stated any club could come in for him which his agent insisted so it was a very real threat this summer before Man Utd bought De Gea they could've come in for Reina if they wanted to?

Even Torres' agent agreed in his clause to have United taken out of the equation if they met the clause.

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of getting strung up by the publishers, here's a fuller - albeit, not complete - extract from Reina's book than the one provided by the Mail On Sunday.

Here's what Reina actually says. His criticism is of Hicks and Gillett for putting players and supporters in a position where they were bound to have differences of opinion. His respect for Carragher and Gerrard could not be more apparent.

“I know Carra has admitted that I asked him why neither he nor Stevie spoke out at the time. I understand their reasons, that they felt that they had to be professional and not get dragged into a war, and I respect them. We might have disagreed on this subject but that did not mean we fell out with each other or anything like that. The club had enough problems without the senior players having problems with one another because of a difference of opinion. The way I saw it, Stevie and Carra are the two principle members of our squad, the ones who the people love and maybe if they had said something it would have put Hicks and Gillett under real pressure. But in their view, it was more important to try to keep things as normal as possible rather than risk rocking the boat even more. What was not in doubt was that we all just wanted the best for the club.

“This was an extraordinary time and it should never come down to the supporters to decide whether or not they should protest, or to the senior players to decide if it is right to speak out against the owners. It just shouldn’t happen. We were all being put in a bad position by Hicks and Gillett. Whatever choices we made at the time should be judged against the backdrop of how bad the situation had become, not against us as individuals. My respect for Stevie and Carra did not change one bit, even though we saw things differently. We all did what we thought was right, that is all anyone can ever do.” Pepe Reina.

How saying he "understands their reasons" and "totally respects them" because "we all did what we thought was right for the club," has been turned into a Reina attacks Carragher and Gerrard for not speaking out is completely and utterly beyond me. He does nothing of the sort.

At the risk of getting strung up by the publishers, here's a fuller - albeit, not complete - extract from Reina's book than the one provided by the Mail On Sunday.

Here's what Reina actually says. His criticism is of Hicks and Gillett for putting players and supporters in a position where they were bound to have differences of opinion. His respect for Carragher and Gerrard could not be more apparent.

“I know Carra has admitted that I asked him why neither he nor Stevie spoke out at the time. I understand their reasons, that they felt that they had to be professional and not get dragged into a war, and I respect them. We might have disagreed on this subject but that did not mean we fell out with each other or anything like that. The club had enough problems without the senior players having problems with one another because of a difference of opinion. The way I saw it, Stevie and Carra are the two principle members of our squad, the ones who the people love and maybe if they had said something it would have put Hicks and Gillett under real pressure. But in their view, it was more important to try to keep things as normal as possible rather than risk rocking the boat even more. What was not in doubt was that we all just wanted the best for the club.

“This was an extraordinary time and it should never come down to the supporters to decide whether or not they should protest, or to the senior players to decide if it is right to speak out against the owners. It just shouldn’t happen. We were all being put in a bad position by Hicks and Gillett. Whatever choices we made at the time should be judged against the backdrop of how bad the situation had become, not against us as individuals. My respect for Stevie and Carra did not change one bit, even though we saw things differently. We all did what we thought was right, that is all anyone can ever do.” Pepe Reina.

That's far more balanced. Cheers fella.

How saying he "understands their reasons" and "totally respects them" because "we all did what we thought was right for the club," has been turned into a Reina attacks Carragher and Gerrard for not speaking out is completely and utterly beyond me. He does nothing of the sort.

Sensational headlines sell papers!!

Did you ever watch Torres at Atletico? The way he was deployed here was soooo very different than there.

Torres never had to come deep to get the ball at Liverpool. He was expected to be Atletico's entire attack... and sometimes he was and it worked.

All Benitez did was remove the build-up work from his game, because he had Steven Gerrard behind him.

This simply isn't true. Torres has said as much himself.

I wonder which would sell more papers ? Reina understands and respects Gerrard and Carragher or Reina attacks them ?

This shit happens all the time, drop a word or sentence here and tweek a bit there. Suddenly, you have a attention grabbing headline with a nothing story.

Tony I'm going to ask you an honest question so an honest answer would be much appreciated. If it wasn't a Reina attacks Carra and Stevie slant then why did Andy Heaton on twitter try and make it into such a thing being a smart Alec over Carra and Stevie calling then the "Scouse Heartbeat" in a derogatory sarcastic term? It's a mentality like that from someone like Andy which causes the divides especially given his standing amongst our support.

Cheers for that Tony, maybe Andy Heaton might withdraw and apologise for what he said on twitter last night about them, sickening lies about our players, very bad form IMO, incase you missed it it was,

"Pepe gave more of a fuck about the fans than 'Stevie' & 'Carra' who were too interested in looking after themselves, glad the truth is out.

web o 08/10/2011 23:10

Of course he played a part and I have already posted in this thread he should be credited for that.

His job however wasn't to play a part was it? His job was to sell the club. He failed, that is why Broughton was brought in.

Was'nt it his job to find investment ? Or at least that's how I remember. Even if his job was to sell the club, how could he as let's be honest, the club really wasn't for sale at the time, was it ? Or at least not at a price anyone with an ounce of sense would pay.

If H&G hadn't been stupid enough to effectively give Broughton 'power of attorney' the mess we were in would have still been dragging on now and I dread to think what position the club would have been in.

I wonder which would sell more papers ? Reina understands and respects Gerrard and Carragher or Reina attacks them ?

This shit happens all the time, drop a word or sentence here and tweek a bit there. Suddenly, you have a attention grabbing headline with a nothing story.

Yeah even some of our more prominent supporters are guilty of it as well sadly.

Cheers for that Tony, paints the isolated quotes which have been cherry picked in the Mail in a much different light, although anyone with half a brain would have realised that there was no way Pepe was going to come out and absolutely slate the club's two most influential players in his book.

So smilar to the papers reporting pub lady wins against sky, when in reality she still can't use a European decorder in a pub. Don't always believe what's written.

Tony I'm going to ask you an honest question so an honest answer would be much appreciated. If it wasn't a Reina attacks Carra and Stevie slant then why did Andy Heaton on twitter try and make it into such a thing being a smart Alec over Carra and Stevie calling then the "Scouse Heartbeat" in a derogatory sarcastic term? It's a mentality like that from someone like Andy which causes the divides especially given his standing amongst our support.

I hope you don't think I'm being evasive, because I'm not. But the only way I can answer that question is by asking how I could possibly speak for someone else? I'll speak on my own behalf all day long but it's up to others to speak for themselves.

Cheers for that Tony, maybe Andy Heaton might withdraw and apologise for what he said on twitter last night about them, sickening lies about our players, very bad form IMO, incase you missed it it was,

"Pepe gave more of a fuck about the fans than 'Stevie' & 'Carra' who were too interested in looking after themselves, glad the truth is out.

web o 08/10/2011 23:10

You're acting like children. And obscenely hypocritical children, at that.

Fair enough and I also said I can totally understand people who wanted Kenny under that regime but not for me personally. Hodgson was just passing through. If he had somehow been successful for a couple of years great. Sadly it wasn't. That's life.

I wanted Kenny myself, even had a £20 bet on it and told my family to do the same I thought it was a sure thing but when he was overlooked I was disappointed in Purslow and the way he manouvered it but when it happened not long after I was happy with Hodgson. Respect for the majority on here who new his reign wouldn't go well from the start but in the grand scheme of things his reign was the least of our problems particularly between Aug-Oct 2010.

In light of how things have turned out since though, we got Kenny under new owners and it felt like we were starting again. Hindsight tells me that 6 months of Roy was a small price to pay for long term gain. I respect anyone who has the opposite opinion though.

6 months of fucking Roy Hodgson was a price we most definitely didn't have to pay. He was hired by people who had no business making footballing decisions, end of story.

It was obvious he wasn't up to the task and indeed never would be up to the task yet Broughton and Purslow saw fit ignore the advice of people who were better qualified than them to make such a decision.

Kudos to Purslow for doing the right thing in the end but that's as far as it goes for me.

Sticking his fucking posh nose into the footballing side of things was bang out of order.

I don't think it's any coincidence John that he was fucked off shortly after the owners took over.

You're acting like children. And obscenely hypocritical children, at that.

I tell you what when I say unsupported lies about our players to suit an agenda I'm pushing I'll accept that, but until that day comes I won't, Andy Heaton has gone on record as saying Gerrard and Carragher didn't speak out about H&G as they were looking after there own interests, which was total bollocks.

Maybe he can show us proof of his allegations? He needs to put up or shut up slagging off players, Dion Fanning tried it and then had to issue public apologies

It still doesn't sit right with me that the likes of Torres and Reina were the ones being vocal against the previous regime. The captain and vice-captain should have been right there with them.

I'm just grateful Pepe is still around, I would not trade him for any keeper in the world. Hopefully he will be for years to come as well.

I hope you don't think I'm being evasive, because I'm not. But the only way I can answer that question is by asking how I could possibly speak for someone else? I'll speak on my own behalf all day long but it's up to others to speak for themselves.

No that's fair enough Tony. Do you agree with Andy's persons views though yourself or can you see that such comments are merely fractious and serve only to rile people further? I would ask the lad on Twitter myself but knowing his past form for him retweeting your tweets if it's something he doesn't agree with and then in turn you end up getting a load of abuse from people you don't know which has happened to myself and others on here in the past so it just isn't worth it.