You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you agree with euthanasia?

lifetime fan

Sorry but this was the first topic in the search, apologies if there are more recent I’ve missed. This subject is one that to me shows the disconnect between politicians and the public. Apart from hardcore religious people (anecdotally from my experiences only) it seems as though every single person agrees with assisted dying to be an option. I read an article today about another poor sod with MND who had to go to Switzerland to take things into his own hands which made me think of this. If we had a referendum on this I bet it would overwhelmingly be in favour of legalised dying but every time it goes to parliament it is voted strongly against. It’s weird. Is it an example of the church infiltrating the government or something more obvious I’m missing?

15 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Sorry but this was the first topic in the search, apologies if there are more recent I’ve missed. This subject is one that to me shows the disconnect between politicians and the public. Apart from hardcore religious people (anecdotally from my experiences only) it seems as though every single person agrees with assisted dying to be an option. I read an article today about another poor sod with MND who had to go to Switzerland to take things into his own hands which made me think of this. If we had a referendum on this I bet it would overwhelmingly be in favour of legalised dying but every time it goes to parliament it is voted strongly against. It’s weird. Is it an example of the church infiltrating the government or something more obvious I’m missing?

I think most people deep down agree that if someone really really (really) wants to go then so they should be allowed. But no-one is going to tick a box to say they agree when it can be seen by the public eye. Far too controversial. They would have the Samaritans etc going at them all their lives. 

I think that may be my most sensible post since the first time I called Fuge a cunt back in 2014. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rotoq said:

It should absolutely be legal. It's simply cruel to deny people the right to a dignified death. Yes there are grey areas and it would be difficult to legislate, but it would help millions bow out in  peace, rather than a drawn out 6 month long death rattle.

My point is more the discussion around reasons it keeps getting turned down from being legalised despite what I would assume is overwhelming public support. 

Guest Pistonbroke

One reason it's being being blocked is due to religious beliefs, especially from those who could easily call for a referendum on the subject, and in doing so give the people who it affects a say in the matter. Another major reason is the pharmaceutical companies and those with shares in them. It really bugs me when politicians have to bring their religious beliefs into play. The real cynic in me says that this is mainly down to money and fuck all to do with their so called beliefs. 

My old dear took matters into her own hands. She had quite a few illnesses, Parkinson's being the one that tipped her over the edge and the amount of medication she was on. Taking all the tablets was also very painful she said, as they caused way to many side affects and led to a very poor quality of life. She was still sound of mind though, and like many people wanted to leave this World with dignity and on her own terms. She just refused to take any further medication and died within 24 hours of this decision, the tablets were the only thing keeping her body functioning.  

Yes. It is your body and you should have the right to determine what happens to it. 

People are pro life, can't have an abortion, can't commit euthanasia, it is just a shame these same people don't seem to care about the years in between. 

Pistonbroke makes a great point about the undue influence of the drugs companies and their profits, which is obviously more important than individual dignity/choice. 

• Upvote 2

100% it should be legal. 

Yes writing the legislation would be complex and you’d need lots of safeguards in place. 

However as a civilised society we should allow people of sound mind to decide a time and place of their choosing to die with some dignity. 

Think I said it before in this thread, you wouldn’t force an animal to continue living in pain you’d do the humane thing and let it go when the time was right. Why the fuck can’t we treat humans in the same way. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
4 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

100% it should be legal. 

Yes writing the legislation would be complex and you’d need lots of safeguards in place. 

However as a civilised society we should allow people of sound mind to decide a time and place of their choosing to die with some dignity. 

Think I said it before in this thread, you wouldn’t force an animal to continue living in pain you’d do the humane thing and let it go when the time was right. Why the fuck can’t we treat humans in the same way. 

We are talking about a Government who rejected Animal Rights by saying Animals feel no pain. Although the euthanasia conundrum is not purely down to the incumbent Gov't. 

Think I also said on here, we always kept the money in our savings account for Carly to go to dignitas. 

In the end she chose not to (more because of her Mum than anything else) but it gave her comfort knowing it was there if needed. 

Any doctor who tells you pain can be managed until the end is lying. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Disagree. I think it should be a consideration if someone is terminal and numerous parties agree. I dont think it should be an easy decision made by the person involved.

There's just too many issues with it.

Is one of them Xenu?  Or volcanoes filled with ancient spirits? 

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Why on earth not? 

Just a couple:

- Financial abuse, happens all the time and ridiculously common in hospitals amongst family members. Why should someone be talked into taking their own life to benefit that of others? On the surface this would look like they made a perfectly informed decision with full capacity.

- Mental health, where does this decision end in this regard? Plenty of people currently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and present with suicidal ideation who then go on to recover and lead fulfilling lives. Then you have the other end, bipolar, a difficult condition to manage, high suicidal tendencies. When should they be allowed to decide?

There's loads of examples of how this idea couple be abused. And for that reason and lack of governance, I don't think you can justify the causalities in contrast with those who were straight forward cases.

36 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I also saw it costs 10 grand to go to Dignitas. Not many people can raise that and it would have to be cash as I can’t imagine Visa or MasterCard would be too keen to authorise that.

It was a long time ago we had the consultation with dignitas but it was significantly cheaper than £10k. 

41 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Just a couple:

- Financial abuse, happens all the time and ridiculously common in hospitals amongst family members. Why should someone be talked into taking their own life to benefit that of others? On the surface this would look like they made a perfectly informed decision with full capacity.

- Mental health, where does this decision end in this regard? Plenty of people currently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and present with suicidal ideation who then go on to recover and lead fulfilling lives. Then you have the other end, bipolar, a difficult condition to manage, high suicidal tendencies. When should they be allowed to decide?

There's loads of examples of how this idea couple be abused. And for that reason and lack of governance, I don't think you can justify the causalities in contrast with those who were straight forward cases.

They're valid concerns and I don’t for a second think it would be easy or straight forward passing the legislation. 

In fact you'd probably end up being too conservative (relatively) with the safeguards and end up with a situation where you’d have people who wouldn’t meet the criteria appeal for the right to have assisted suicide. 

But when you've watched someone you love die of a terminal illness, in pain and them live for far longer than they should have, knowing they wanted to go earlier and at a time and place of their choosing, to be able to maintain one final piece of control over their life and pass away with at least a tiny bit of dignity...I can’t see how anyone would argue against it. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Seasons said:

Just a couple:

They're valid concerns and I don’t for a second think it would be easy or straight forward passing the legislation. 

In fact you'd probably end up being too conservative (relatively) with the safeguards and end up with a situation where you’d have people who wouldn’t meet the criteria appeal for the right to have assisted suicide. 

But when you've watched someone you love die of a terminal illness, in pain and them live for far longer than they should have, knowing they wanted to go earlier and at a time and place of their choosing, to be able to maintain one final piece of control over their life and pass away with at least a tiny bit of dignity...I can’t see how anyone would argue against it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

I can understand the emotive argument. And I think, in an ideal world, it would be a relatively positive option for some and their families. But the framework of how you'd manage is so complex that it would be an absolute minefield to navigate through.

Look at the examples of hospitals withdrawing from treatment and how emotion dictates the public reaction. In that thought, could hospitals then override decisions? If they knew someone was in serious pain but showed no visible signs and the fanily refused to believe professional judgement. What then?

Again, sorry to hear what you've been through and I'd love to be on the same side of the fence but there are too many what ifs for me to agree.

1 hour ago, Seasons said:

I can understand the emotive argument. And I think, in an ideal world, it would be a relatively positive option for some and their families. But the framework of how you'd manage is so complex that it would be an absolute minefield to navigate through.

Look at the examples of hospitals withdrawing from treatment and how emotion dictates the public reaction. In that thought, could hospitals then override decisions? If they knew someone was in serious pain but showed no visible signs and the fanily refused to believe professional judgement. What then?

Again, sorry to hear what you've been through and I'd love to be on the same side of the fence but there are too many what ifs for me to agree.

Other countries seem to manage it. 

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Other countries seem to manage it. 

A lazy statement this.

They all struggle with the same difficulties I listed above, but little attention is given to the cases where loneliness or a lack of meaning/purpose was the primary motivation.

Can you add some more strange scientology references to your next response please? I enjoy googling them and reading more about your beliefs.