You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy Carroll

Mr T

Guest ShoePiss

I think no matter what we think of the transfer we should support him, not write him off.

It's hard to form an reasoned and balanced opinion of him really, most on here like myself have hardly seen him play at all, from what I have seen I don't typically like that style of play but if we can take advantage of his strengths it really could be immense.

Forget about the actual transfer fee, he was valued at 15m less than Torres. If he weighs in with 15 goals a season you'd have to say that's a decent return.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needing to play to his strengths entails realising that, whilst he is decent in the air, he's actually very good on the ground. So whilst we need wingers, I'd like to think we try to develop his all-round game and not use him as a battering ram.

My biggest worry thus far is his fitness: yes, he's been out for a while, but he's carrying weight and he looks dreadfully unfit. That doesn't say much for his self-discipline, a point that Capello was making too. My big concern about him remains his mentality rather than his ability.

Your so-called 'points' are - being kind - knee-jerking rubbish.

Whereas mine are spot-on.

Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion. If that's you being kind on my own though, I wouldn't like to see an unkind reaction.

His service has largely been limited to an 80yard diagonal sand wedge from Carragher. What do people expect of him? Miracles? The sooner we realise he isn't just a 6ft 3 target to aim at and actually has two legs and a footballing brain, the better.

Agreed, he needs service. Am still looking forward to seeing how he clicks with Suarez.

Don't really like to say it but some Chelsea fans will also be saying the same thing about T***es, but he'll eventually be scoring goals like he used to, and Carroll will almost definitely be doing the same.

i still have a little cry to myself when i think of the money we spent on him. not fair on him i know but i think it was an incredibly stupid move on behalf of the club.

but just as important as getting him fit and confident is bombing Carra out of the side. he set the tempo today when after ten seconds he launched one of his specials twenty miles into the air, and then went on to do the same whenever the ball came near him.

Carroll will make more sense when the team takes shape over the summer. What we're seeing now is a player coming back from a long layoff trying to find his feet at a new club. Next season will reveal what we have bought.

My prediction is that he will show himself to be a useful player, weighing in with 15-20 goals. I doubt he will ever hit the heights of Torres at his best but he will still be good for us, the understanding with Suarez will grow, we will get some quality width in and we won't look back.

I've said a few times I'm yet to be convinced by Carroll, and it's not just a fitness thing or the money we've spent on him, it's that I just haven't seen that 'moment' yet that really makes you sit up and realise that someone is going to be a real player. I also don't see how his skills will fit into the side as yet. I've heard him mooted as some kind of new Alan Shearer but I don't think he has that predatory, instinctive greatness in him, I think he's more of a Les Ferdinand, who himself was a good player - but not 'great'.

Still, the list of people who disagree with that assessment is great and good, from Shearer himself to Dalglish et al.

He'll be an asset I've got no doubt about that, but more as a foil. Whether we'll be able to discipline our side into not overusing his prowess in the air though, well, let's just say I really hope we do save we become Joe Royle's Everton on steds.

Needing to play to his strengths entails realising that, whilst he is decent in the air, he's actually very good on the ground. So whilst we need wingers, I'd like to think we try to develop his all-round game and not use him as a battering ram.

My biggest worry thus far is his fitness: yes, he's been out for a while, but he's carrying weight and he looks dreadfully unfit. That doesn't say much for his self-discipline, a point that Capello was making too. My big concern about him remains his mentality rather than his ability.

What he said.

What's the best way of phrasing this, hmm.

You sir, are talking with your dick out.

This team, this team with no width, no pace on the flanks, is not the least bit suited to his game, But we have got him in, and we will build a team. This season is a write off, but if we get the players in we need to work with him I am convinced he will do OK.

Hes been here five fucking minutes for christs sake.

Why not wait until next season until we judge him.

Hopefully by then, most of the shit will be sold and a few quality players of the class of Suarez will be supplying him with quality service.

Lets be honest, he's had fuck all service with Stevie being out.

Rumour on a couple of other forums is that Stevie could be out for the rest of the season. Hopefully thats bollocks but it wouldn't surprise me.

Guest San Don

People like 'mr t' would have been screaming like fuck if we hadnt of made a striker signing after the sulky one ratted on us.

But the point remains some people like 'mr t' are judging Carroll on a couple of games for us when the lad is really just playing to get fit.

Its going to be next season before we start seeing the best of him.

I fucking love the way sky tv loving fuckers think they can pass judgement on the club so quickly like their heros on SSN soccer satdee.