You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

You're having a laugh if you think we'll get a CB from outside England. Won't happen.

Not that I mind. Cahill will be superb at whatever price. He's just what we need.

Soto leaving is great for 2 reasons -

A. He's fucking shite.

B. It pretty much confirms that we have a CB lined up.

Liverpool FC's Sotirios Kyrgiakos on verge of Wolfsburg switch > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Sotirios Kyrgiakos appears to be on the verge of joining Wolfsburg.

A move to the Bundesliga has looked likely for the defender despite being turned down by Hamburg back in June, shortly before he was handed a 12-month extension by Liverpool.

The 32-year-old earned an additional year with the Reds after making enough appearances last season to trigger the extension clause, agreed at his arrival from AEK Athens in 2009.

But Kyrgiakos, who netted in the Reds' final pre-season friendly against Valencia, appears to favour a move to Wolfsburg, who are seeking a replacement for the outgoing Simon Kjaer.

Jamie Carragher remains the first-choice centre-back while Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel remain in competition to partner him at the heart of Kenny Dalglish's defence.

Dalglish, meanwhile, has paid tribute to Dirk Kuyt amidst rumours of him being linked with a move to Inter MIlan after comments made by his agent last year resurfaced this morning.

The Holland international had been tipped to join the Serie A giants 12 months ago to link up with former Reds manager Rafael Benitez but the move never materialised.

In April, Kuyt penned a 12-month extension to his current Liverpool contract and is just one strike away from recording a half century of Premier League goals for the club.

"Dirk is a fantastic player for this football club," said Dalglish.

"He does work hard for the team, but then sometimes that work ethic disguises the ability he has got as well, so don't forget he has got a fair amount of ability.

"It's fantastic for anyone to get 50 league goals for his club and that will be a great milestone for him when he gets it."

From LFCTV:

Liverpool FC this afternoon confirmed that Sotirios Kyrgiakos had left the club and joined Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.

The Greek defender made 49 appearances for the Reds, scoring three goals, after signing from AEK Athens in August 2009.

Author: Liverpool FC

Tagged: kyrgiakos , sotirios kyrgiakos

Confirmed:

Kyrgiakos leaves Reds - Liverpool FC

Liverpool FC this afternoon confirmed that Sotirios Kyrgiakos had left the club and joined Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg.

The Greek defender made 49 appearances for the Reds, scoring three goals, after signing from AEK Athens in August 2009.

Not hugely surprising, but it's a deal which came about without anyone really knowing anything about it before today. Be nice to think there's a couple more deals being sorted behind the scenes...

I'm not too bothered about him leaving. He's decent for teams like Blackburn and Stoke but against anyone with pace, he's shite. The fact he's the only defender that can head the ball further than 10 yards is a worry. However it does mean we're probably close to signing a new CB.

He was good at what he did, but I think we all knew that the Greek needed to be gone at the earliest possible opportunity. I like him and I think he did a good job for us, but he was on big money and he was a disaster waiting to happen every time he was on the pitch.

I do wish him well though and for £1.5m outlay it might be argued we actually did alright, although he was a bit shit really, and one of the most limited players I've ever seen play for Liverpool. Good to see the club shipping "the unflushables" out though, three down, just a few more to go. Apart from Degen, who we are well and truly stuck with.

That was fast. If just all transfers would develop from rumour to confirmation as fast, I might get some work done in the summer.

Good luck Soto! Not the best player, but gave it everything and made some important contributions. Ynwa!