You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We worked hard, we didn't play as well as against wolves, but we won! we are up to 7th! Stop moaning! :) Kenny would have hopefully seen how useless Poulson is now and lucas can replace him against Stoke, or maybe even Adam. A win is only going to give our lads confidence and we need to build on it. I was very very very scared those last 15!

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to earth with a bump after all the promise of the Wolves performance. The lack of Lucas, as well as trying to integrate Gerrard, unbalanced the midfield. Raul continues to impress. Started well and went backwards from there - second half was abysmal and we forgot how to pass the ball. A fuck of a lot of work to do to build a solid team.

While it took a few days off my life, three points is three points. The general mentality of the team, the bit of steel and bite, is a major positive. We didn't have that a few months ago. Moaty's form is also hugely positive, he's a real revelation in that role behind Torres. Great to see.

Still some problems in the middle, problems on the wing, problems at the back... but the simple fact that we won the game is testament to how far we've come from the dark days of fall 2010.

I really find myself wondering what Joe Cole's job is seen as here.

We tried harder. That's where it starts, that's how we used to beat everyone else when things weren't exactly right. The midfield was wrong, Reina and Agger played well.

We need more composure, we need to keep the ball more, and vary the tempo. I did not much like the way Poulsen played in general, but he at least tried to keep the ball, unlike Gerrard who was abysmal. Meireles was left alone, and he gave his best.

All in all, this game is done with, hopefully we will get more than the right attitude next time.

We are still a very misbalanced team. Torres and Gerrard are our nailed on starters, we can probably all agree. However, they have some significant flaws - Gerrard is positionally ill-disciplined and Torres is poor with the ball at his feet, both dribbling and passing.

To overcome this, Gerrard needs to be off Torres, and we need better wingers who can compensate for the fact that the play is likely to break down when it gets to Torres (count how many times it does in a game - it's a huge amount), wingers with pace who can hold the ball and pass and cross consistently. We don't have that at the moment, on either wing.

Strange game, we still need to find that balance between defence and attack hopefully with Kenny and Clarke on the training pitch we can work towards it.

Good game for Johnson and although Poulson was average good to hear him get a good receptions as he left the pitch. Agger was bringing the ball out of defence a fair bit and made a few drives forward. He looks like he is enjoying his football again.

I've thought that for the last 3 years or so, as great a footballer Gerrard is the team functions more like a team without him in it, obviously having the class that he has it is of little relevance a lot of the time as he can win a game on his own....it's just those games where he doesn't that are the problem.

The best period of the match was in the first half when Gerrard wasn't the focal point and the ball was being moved around in an egalitarian fashion. As soon we panicked and everything started going through him, heads dropped one by one.

Gerrard played far too deep today. Terrifying final 20 minutes but I'll take scrappy wins all season long, considering how bad things have been.

See, i don't understand this. People moan about wanting Gerrard to play in CM, then when he does play there, complain that he's too deep.

Not necessarily directed at you, as i think as a team we were sat far too deep for most of the game.

We are a fucking disaster in the holding mid area.

A disaster.

We dont need Adam or Suarez anywhere near as much as Scott Parker.

Too old unless we can get him for a million or so. With 'English tax' you'd be looking at probably 7m+ which is ridiculous for a player who isn't for the long term and who isn't that spectacular in the first place. Better off spending double on a holding midfielder in his early 20s.

I really don't get some of the people on here. 2 WEEKS ago we would have expected a draw, been surprised to win, but pretty stale about a lose.

Yes Kenny is good, just look at the difference in those 2 weeks, but even he needs the time to get everything into place and the players having faith in themselves again which has been syphoned out of their systems for nearly 2 seasons. We WILL get better, we WILL progress and I think we WILL keep moving forward now.

I really don't get some of the people on here. 2 WEEKS ago we would have expected a draw, been surprised to win, but pretty stale about a lose.

Yes Kenny is good, just look at the difference in those 2 weeks, but even he needs the time to get everything into place and the players having faith in themselves again which has been syphoned out of their systems for nearly 2 seasons. We WILL get better, we WILL progress and I think we WILL keep moving forward now.

Still doesn't mean that we can't discuss what happened in games though, right?

See, i don't understand this. People moan about wanting Gerrard to play in CM, then when he does play there, complain that he's too deep.

Not necessarily directed at you, as i think as a team we were sat far too deep for most of the game.

Agree, it's a bone of contention at times. Lucas would do a far better role back there with Raul switching between him and the forwards. Gerrard would be much more effective if he didn't had to feel like he had to cover for Poulsen for most of the match.

Ah, a good old fashioned scraped win. When the scum or Chelsea do it it's "the hallmark of champions" (Copyright: A couple of recently sacked guys), when we do it it's lucky.

In all seriousness, yes we're crying out for a good DM and have been since Cunterano stabbed us in the back.

Oh well, we're up into the Europa League places at least*

*So long as Arse beat Brum at Wembley and there's no shocks in the FA Cup that is.

A relief!

We missed Lucas, the midfield was disorganised. The defence is still very sloppy.

The one thing i really can not understand is why Kenny did not put on Cole towards the end, when we really needed fresh feet and someone to make something happen in attack.

Anyway: I`ll take a scrappy win every weekend for a while now without complaining.