You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tell me that, when they give us our share of the Premiership tv prize money, CL tv prize money, millions per each home game they screen, which contributes to our financial state.

Sky have revolutionised the way football is shown in this part of the world. Before them, stadiums were in most cases, dumps, there were a handful of live games per year, a half-hearted irregular poorly-timed highlights show, and no 24h rolling sports news coverage, hardly any magazine shows or documentaries. We were relying here on a poor BBC Radio reception for most of our football coverage. Most of the all-seater stadiums you see today, would not have been possible without Sky's cash. When ITV Digital fucked up and threatened to put half of English football into administration, they jumped in to the rescue. Most clubs survived.

Nowadays, they show most of our games for our fans comfort, with many options to watch the games from. So even if you can't be at the stadium, most Reds don't have to miss out like we used to. Until 1990, BBC and ITV ignored the European Cup Final live unless a British team was involved. In 91, ITV showed it because Chris Waddle was playing, while the following year, BBC showed it because it was at Wembley. From then on, ITV won the rights and showed one game per round, with a weekly highlights show. Sky entered the CL game in 2003, covered every game, and were chosen by UEFA as the broadcaster to organise the 2005 CL final coverage. The view of those famous penalties that went worldwide is all Sky's work.

There remain issues, around ko times and poor quality analysis, but in return for their money and coverage now, we get the odd snippet of home truths here and there. We're 12th in the league for a reason. I think I can live with that coverage.

And more clubs going bankrupt than ever!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. This is not about the quality of the product that Sky put out. They do a very good job of covering football matches. In the same way that The Sunday Times does a very good job of putting together a Sunday newspaper: its very well formatted and very user friendly. The news coverage however, is entirely biased towards the wishes of Rupert Murdoch. The views promoted are those of Rupert Murdoch. The bottom line of everything they do and everything they promote is profit at the expense of morals, at the expense of values, at the expense of principles. Sky is the same.

They have a monopoly, so we are invariably forced to watch Sky when we want to follow our team and we can't get to the game. But if there was another choice, I and many others would gladly take it.

If we loose our independent thought we are truly fucked. Don't give that up for the sake of a comfortably packaged product!

Most newspapers are biased towards something, especially politically. But it could be worse though, in most areas of the world, there isn't a free press at all. I still think the UK lacks something though, in the fact there's no national daily sports paper, like l'Equipe or Gazzetta Dello Sport. There is a gap in the market there if someone wants to find it.

Sky are banned from a total monopoly of live EPL coverage by Brussels. But nobody markets a sports product like they do. When they came in, they took over from the half-hearted coverage from ITV, with 5 hour Sunday shows, groundbreaking documentaries, and multiple chances to relive your last game. ITV offered none of it at all. Sky Sports News started out as a 5-minute football news show at 6pm, look at it now.

Bring me the days of sat 3pm kick offs watching the Reds, No opionated sky pundits some who have never been managers spouting off their opinion, which means fuck all.

Hearing about transfers via teletext or the radio.

I miss those days.

There was a 3pm Sat ko last week, and the attendance was the lowest in years. Mitigating circumstances possibly, but that never stopped people going before. In fact, all the times I've been at the stadium, it's been Saturday at 3pm, bar my first one and a 3pm Sunday game in 2001.

Hold on to your seats ! Now that the London media has perceived that 'The Liverpool Supporters' have got rid of that 'Nice man Roy' they will be into Kenny at every opportunity. They did not like him first time round.Now every defeat or poor performance they will pile into him.

Was Kenny not popular in the media when at Liverpool? I imagine he will get a hard time now but thought he would have had the media eating out of his hand back in his first reign?

Hold on to your seats ! Now that the London media has perceived that 'The Liverpool Supporters' have got rid of that 'Nice man Roy' they will be into Kenny at every opportunity. They did not like him first time round.Now every defeat or poor performance they will pile into him.

No one gives a fuck down here.

Sky Sports News have totally made up a section of their news article on todays developments re: Dalglish appointment too.

Their article shows the defeat against Wolves in which you can hear fans singing "you're getting sacked in the morning". Sky say this was the Liverpool fans singing. Sorry, but it wasn't. It was the Wolves fans. A small amount of Liverpool fans sang for Dalgish and "Hodgson for England" much later on in the game, but it was clearly the Wolves fans singing sacked in the morning.

It's not like Sky to let the facts get in the way of a story though.

Lot of paranoia in here- does anyone think Charlie Nicholas et al give a damn about us? They care about what they're interested in! Some of you would have us believe the mother of all conspiracies is unfolding! Can't help thinking much of it is about saving money too from the amount it's mentioned. Finally, when you're busy watching your streams, others (abroad) are paying for the services and that's the only reason you're able to see them. Siege mentality! Drop wad and just run.

I posted about this earlier in the king Kenny thread on the members forum, but immediately after the appointment story they talked about the match tomorrow and how the world beater Hernandez will be playing. They then proclaimed this finish against stoke the other day was world class. Go and google Hernandez v stoke and see what is a plainly obvious own goal. They are a buch of agenda driven cunts, end of.

Just watching sky news now.

The dumb blonde presenting passes over to matey to read the sports and says "well Roy Hodgson sacked after 6 months and he didnt even pick the team" before mumbling some other shit i cant remember because i could'nt quite believe what she just blerted out.

Fucking wind up.

I am sure, and nobody will ever disuade me, that our boycott of that filth is one of the main reasons behind Sky's treatment of the club, and us as the fans.

Agreed, and fire further fuelled with our then manager slating two of Murdoch's papers live on Murdoch's sports channel during the coverage of the Chelsea game in 05/06. ("everybody knows there are two papers on Merseyside you do not trust")

Fuck 'em!

Are we on Sky tomorrow or terrestrial? If it's Sky, you can bet your last penny that Grey, Keys, Redcrap and Tyler will all have their obituary's written for the hard done to Hodgson. The excuses will be out and the blame will be shifted.

Oh, they did just that alright! On their round up of Saturday's FA Cup ties, SSN interviewed all of the Premier League managers whose teams played on Saturday and all of them stuck their oar in regarding Hodgson's dismissal (all prompted by SSN of course) Shockingly one sided, especially when added to Stelling's comments that day nd the reporter outside Melwood asking if Liverpool fans felt good removing a man from his job. (which we should ALL be ashamed of, especially considering how we all sign on sign on etc.) The list of sacked managers this season is now a cause for concern on SSN this week.

And then there is the interview with Hicks the day the takeover went through; beyond parody.

Fuck off, Sky!