You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley quotes

grazywalker

I was supposed to do a presentation on a great manager by the name of Alex F from up the road but I just can't do it .I therefore without hesitiatino decided to do Sir Bob Paisley instead .

It was only upon looking around that I realised how many brilliant quotes he came out with . Here are a good few.

I am sure you will have read many but I make no apologies for posting them

Bob Paisley quotes

"I said that when I took over that I would settle for a drop of Bell's once a month, a big bottle at the end of the season and a ride round the city in an open top bus!"

Bob Paisley in 1950

"Believe it or not the most thrilling experience of my life has nothing to do with football! It was the unforgettable sight of Vesuvius in eruption while stationed near Naples during the war. The most pleasurable experience is football one, and came when I won an Amateur Cup Final with Bishop Auckland in 1939. Though I hope to have a few more seasons still in senior football, I am studying to be a physiotherapist and masseur when my playing days are over. We married men have to look to the future, you know."

"My uncle was a slaughterman for the Co-op and I used to get pigs' bladders off him to use as footballs in the street."

"I was aggressive but I played the game because I loved and enjoyed it. I might have hurt people and I got hurt myself a few times, but not with any malice. When I went on to the field I just wanted to play football. I didn't go out to kick anybody purposely. I just enjoyed playing and if that's aggression, then I'm guilty of that."

Bob Paisley on the Kop

"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent."

"I'd always had an interest in physiotherapy and psychology. The physio side probably stemmed from the knocks I got as a player. I found that valuable later on. It stood me in good stead. If I was pinned down I'd say that was my greatest asset. I could speak to players and give them examples of injuries and how they heal."

Bob joined the 73rd Regiment of the Royal Artillery in World War II. He served with Montgomery's Eighth Army, the so called Desert Rats as an anti tank gunner.

"The battery I was in went to the Far East. I should have gone with them but was transferred to another battery because I was the regimental soccer captain. That was a bit of luck because my unit was captured soon after it arrived and spent the rest of the war in a prisoner of war camp."

Bob's first season ended in failure; Liverpool only finished second!

"I'll admit, right away, that I am disappointed that we did not have a major trophy to show for our efforts. We were in four and we had a good side, but when you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here."

Celebrating Liverpool's first European Cup win in 1977

"This is the second time I've beaten the Germans here... the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated. If anyone had told me I'd be back here to see us win the European Cup 33 years later I'd have told them they were mad! But I want to savour every minute of it... which is why I'm not having a drink tonight. I'm just drinking in the occasion."

Paisley addressing the crowd from St George's hall after the European win in 1977.

"In the 38 years I've been here, this excels everything. And of course it's the biggest day in Liverpool Football Club's life."

Bob Paisley showed on more than one occasion that he was a very funny man. Bill Shankly spent his first Saturday afternoon in retirement watching his local home match, Everton - Derby County. Meanwhile Liverpool were playing at Luton and when the press asked Bob what Shankly was doing this particular afternoon, he replied:

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton."

"A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were."

Guest San Don

Sir Bob should have been knighted unlike that popularist twat down the east lancs who had it handed to him on a platter.

I dont recall many of sir Bob's quotes since he was a man of few words and, the media wasnt into every word a football manager uttered when he was in the game.

I do remember him saying after his first season when we finished second that he was 'like a novice jockey, We went a bit wide on the corners but we'll get it right next season'!

During his team talks, he was supposed to frequently forget the name of opposition players, referring to them as 'Mr do-ings' and 'Mr So and so.'

I thing one of Sir Bob's best was a comment to a young Ian Rush who wasnt scoring frequently. Sir Bob's advice was 'if there's any doubt what you should do with the ball, put it in the back of the net first and we'll talk about it later'!

Sir Bob was a true gent and an absolute legend. Illness eventually robbed him of the many great nights and memories he gave us. I hope wherever he is, he can treasure those memories for all of eternity.

Guest ShoePiss
Sir Bob should have been knighted unlike that popularist twat down the east lancs who had it handed to him on a platter.

I dont recall many of sir Bob's quotes since he was a man of few words and, the media wasnt into every word a football manager uttered when he was in the game.

I do remember him saying after his first season when we finished second that he was 'like a novice jockey, We went a bit wide on the corners but we'll get it right next season'!

During his team talks, he was supposed to frequently forget the name of opposition players, referring to them as 'Mr do-ings' and 'Mr So and so.'

I thing one of Sir Bob's best was a comment to a young Ian Rush who wasnt scoring frequently. Sir Bob's advice was 'if there's any doubt what you should do with the ball, put it in the back of the net first and we'll talk about it later'!

Sir Bob was a true gent and an absolute legend. Illness eventually robbed him of the many great nights and memories he gave us. I hope wherever he is, he can treasure those memories for all of eternity.

Dougie Do'ins wasn't it? Actually I'm wrong, that's what the players called him!

That quote of his from 1950 is interesting, he must have never imagined the experiences he would have later on.

I was supposed to do a presentation on a great manager by the name of Alex F from up the road but I just can't do it .I therefore without hesitiatino decided to do Sir Bob Paisley instead .

It was only upon looking around that I realised how many brilliant quotes he came out with . Here are a good few.

I am sure you will have read many but I make no apologies for posting them

Bob Paisley quotes

"I said that when I took over that I would settle for a drop of Bell's once a month, a big bottle at the end of the season and a ride round the city in an open top bus!"

Bob Paisley in 1950

"Believe it or not the most thrilling experience of my life has nothing to do with football! It was the unforgettable sight of Vesuvius in eruption while stationed near Naples during the war. The most pleasurable experience is football one, and came when I won an Amateur Cup Final with Bishop Auckland in 1939. Though I hope to have a few more seasons still in senior football, I am studying to be a physiotherapist and masseur when my playing days are over. We married men have to look to the future, you know."

"My uncle was a slaughterman for the Co-op and I used to get pigs' bladders off him to use as footballs in the street."

"I was aggressive but I played the game because I loved and enjoyed it. I might have hurt people and I got hurt myself a few times, but not with any malice. When I went on to the field I just wanted to play football. I didn't go out to kick anybody purposely. I just enjoyed playing and if that's aggression, then I'm guilty of that."

Bob Paisley on the Kop

"The whole of my life, what they wanted was honesty. They were not concerned with cultured football, but with triers who gave one hundred percent."

"I'd always had an interest in physiotherapy and psychology. The physio side probably stemmed from the knocks I got as a player. I found that valuable later on. It stood me in good stead. If I was pinned down I'd say that was my greatest asset. I could speak to players and give them examples of injuries and how they heal."

Bob joined the 73rd Regiment of the Royal Artillery in World War II. He served with Montgomery's Eighth Army, the so called Desert Rats as an anti tank gunner.

"The battery I was in went to the Far East. I should have gone with them but was transferred to another battery because I was the regimental soccer captain. That was a bit of luck because my unit was captured soon after it arrived and spent the rest of the war in a prisoner of war camp."

Bob's first season ended in failure; Liverpool only finished second!

"I'll admit, right away, that I am disappointed that we did not have a major trophy to show for our efforts. We were in four and we had a good side, but when you count second place as failure, then standards are becoming fantastically high. We never celebrate second place here."

Celebrating Liverpool's first European Cup win in 1977

"This is the second time I've beaten the Germans here... the first time was in 1944. I drove into Rome on a tank when the city was liberated. If anyone had told me I'd be back here to see us win the European Cup 33 years later I'd have told them they were mad! But I want to savour every minute of it... which is why I'm not having a drink tonight. I'm just drinking in the occasion."

Paisley addressing the crowd from St George's hall after the European win in 1977.

"In the 38 years I've been here, this excels everything. And of course it's the biggest day in Liverpool Football Club's life."

Bob Paisley showed on more than one occasion that he was a very funny man. Bill Shankly spent his first Saturday afternoon in retirement watching his local home match, Everton - Derby County. Meanwhile Liverpool were playing at Luton and when the press asked Bob what Shankly was doing this particular afternoon, he replied:

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton."

"A lot of teams beat us, do a lap of honour and don't stop running. They live too long on one good result. I remember Jimmy Adamson crowing after Burnley had beaten us once, that his players were in a different league. At the end of the season they were."

Thanks a lot for posting that.

One of his funniest quotes was when Alan Kennedy, after having a nightmare game for LFC (don't know if it was on his debut), and he apologized to his team mates in the dressing room, acknowledging that fact that he had been poor, I think at half time, and Bob's instant response was: "they shot the wrong bloody Kennedy!"

That really made me chuckle.

In Keegans autobiography he mentions just such a thing.

During a team talk Bob Paisleys exact words were "watch out for that Wheelbarrow, he flings a far flung one".

He was referring to a player called Barrowclough who was a particularly accurate long passer. :smile:

It kills me that I didn't get the joy of watching his and Shankly's teams. I've seen plenty of videos but you can only imagine what a joy it must have been to have lived through that era. The both of them were the epitome of class and true Gents.

Amazing Man.

I can only echo those sentiments, fella. I'd give anything to watch those teams in their pomp.

I've said to my arl fella and my grandad on many occassions that they didn't know how lucky they were.

I can only echo those sentiments, fella. I'd give anything to watch those teams in their pomp.

I was born in Hobart, Tasmania and started supporting the Reds when they won the FA Cup in 1974. I was 7 then.

I was a fanatic. My entire childhood became one big long (unfortunately sober) celebration of Liverpool, under Sir Bob, winning fucking everything. We only got to see highlights every couple of weeks on TV back then in Australia, if we were lucky. But it was exciting and unknown and exotic following a team I loved but couldn't be there to see. Ringing the sports results service from a phone box on Sunday mornings to get the overnight results. Usually another win.

I didn't get to Anfield until 1989. Saw our last Championship. But would probably have swapped it for a live glimspe of Paisley and one of his fabled Liverpool teams.

Sorry for the far away sentimentality.

Guest The Chimp
I was born in Hobart, Tasmania and started supporting the Reds when they won the FA Cup in 1974. I was 7 then.

I was a fanatic. My entire childhood became one big long (unfortunately sober) celebration of Liverpool, under Sir Bob, winning fucking everything. We only got to see highlights every couple of weeks on TV back then in Australia, if we were lucky. But it was exciting and unknown and exotic following a team I loved but couldn't be there to see. Ringing the sports results service from a phone box on Sunday mornings to get the overnight results. Usually another win.

I didn't get to Anfield until 1989. Saw our last Championship. But would probably have swapped it for a live glimspe of Paisley and one of his fabled Liverpool teams.

Sorry for the far away sentimentality.

Don't apologise mate - great post.

Guest davelfc

I was recovering from glandular fever and my mum took me over to anfield to get autographs and pictures with the players. Bob arrived in a brown rover 3500 and as I approached him the first words from his mouth was why wasn't I in school.

"With the character and attitude he shows they’d make him Mayor of Liverpool if he was a few inches taller." Sir Bob about Sammy Lee

"I asked Phil Neal and Ray Clemence if they got telegrams from the boss when they were on international duty. Phil said they did, with the message ‘Good luck’. I told them the boss sent them to me when I was away with Wales. The message he put on was, ‘Keep out of trouble’." Jory Jones talking about Sir Bob

"There was only one Bob Paisley and he was the greatest of them all. He went through the card in football. He played for Liverpool, he treated the players, he coached them, he managed them and then he became a director. He could tell if someone was injured and what the problem was just by watching them walk a few paces. He was never boastful but had great football knowledge. I owe Bob more than I owe anybody else in the game. There will never be another like him." King Kenny talking about Sir Bob

"There is no magic formula, there is no mystery about Anfield, it's just down to pure talent. Bob Paisley epitomises that and I am amazed that people in football, who ought to know better, do not accept the fact. He is on the same level as Sinatra in his field and nobody should question his talent. It's not the fact that he's got a bigger band or sings on bigger stages, it's just down to ability. The man oozes talent and he talks more common sense than ten of us managers put together and he probably works harder than ten of us put together as well!"Brian Clough talking about Sir Bob

"There is no magic formula, there is no mystery about Anfield, it's just down to pure talent. Bob Paisley epitomises that and I am amazed that people in football, who ought to know better, do not accept the fact. He is on the same level as Sinatra in his field and nobody should question his talent. It's not the fact that he's got a bigger band or sings on bigger stages, it's just down to ability. The man oozes talent and he talks more common sense than ten of us managers put together and he probably works harder than ten of us put together as well!"Brian Clough talking about Sir Bob

Blimey.

'Mind you we did have some bad seasons too - some years we came second'

I know that was more or less in the first lot of quotes but the above is the form I remember it in - I have it as one of my fav quotes on Facebook - along with

Henchoz : 'Why would I want to play for MUFC I play for LFC'

Carra : 'Which club is bigger than LFC?' and

Kenny : ' Unless you print we lied as big as you printed the truth I can't help you'

What other LFC quotes do people have as memorable?

'Mind you we did have some bad seasons too - some years we came second'

I know that was more or less in the first lot of quotes but the above is the form I remember it in - I have it as one of my fav quotes on Facebook - along with

Henchoz : 'Why would I want to play for MUFC I play for LFC'

Carra : 'Which club is bigger than LFC?' and

Kenny : ' Unless you print we lied as big as you printed the truth I can't help you'

What other LFC quotes do people have as memorable?

When Dave Jones was on Everton's books, during training the ball went into Bill Shankly's garden, I think he used to live near the training ground or something, Jones went to retrieve the ball and Shanks said to him: "Son, winners never quit, and quitters never win!"

Dave Jones mentioned this after those allegations were made against him and he and his family went through hell, but managed to come out the other side. I found that very touching.

Guest davelfc

Two more from Bob

After the 7-0 win vs Spurs

"This result won't help us next week. In fact, we'd rather have brickbats than praise. We seem to thrive on that sort of thing."

On possibly the biggest stars he ever had

"Kevin was quicker off the mark, but Kenny runs the first five yards in his head."

When we signed Avi Cohen he was told as he was jewish he could not play on Saturdays. Bob replied, well we've got a few can't play on Saturdays already!

And I remember him collecting the Manager of the Year Award and he got up on stage and pulled out this little scrap of paper, screwed it up and said, that was my runners up speech, then did his usual thanks

It kills me that I didn't get the joy of watching his and Shankly's teams. I've seen plenty of videos but you can only imagine what a joy it must have been to have lived through that era. The both of them were the epitome of class and true Gents.

Amazing Man.

70s and 80s weren't all that (apart from football). They invented AIDS, killed Lennon, didn't manage to kill Reagan, and listened to fucking ABBA. And the players had perms, all of them. Just imagine it, Gerrard with a perm, is that what you want?