You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone...

Mav

...surprised? Anyone gutted?

Feeling ambivalent? Fatalistic?

And that my friends is how much this club has changed in 2 small years.

The rot has to stop.

A clear out is not only desirable but essential - starting from the top.

I know he will have his excuses ready - the penalty that wasn't - but the sad fact is over two legs we weren't good enough to beat Marseilles.

Surely the board can see he has to go and go now.

Thanks for the good times though Ged.

At first I felt sympathy for Ged, that his gameplan was ruined after 35 mins, where we had looked very good. However, in a crucial european game, where it is important not to concede he chose to play Igor i need a brainscan biscan

To be honest in the last two rounds igor has been very lucky not to concede a penalty and tonight he cynically fouled Marlet and gave the ref a decision to make. Albeit he made the wrong one, but thats football.

I knew we would score tonight, but wasnt shocked that we were defeated.

Gutted - Not really. Pissed off, but not really gutted because this season is already a write-off, and winning the UEFA cup would not change that - although it would have been nice to win it and i've always wanted to go to Sweden for obvious reasons - to be fair the beer is about a fiver a pint there so GH and Igor have saved us alot of money!!

GH looked like a defeated man. The penny finally is starting to drop - He must know that he has lost the fans and the vast majority of the players. The board is the only support he has left, and that must be wafer thin now.

I did think though that 4th + UEFA cup would have been definite survival for GH. Now maybe even 4th place wont be enough to save him - please God.

Even Stevie today seemed a bit downcast, not as battling as always - that is in no way a criticism. Dont think he will go and hug GH again like he did a few weeks back.....

O'Neill's reputation grows again after Celtic's good result. Barcelona were without alot of players - but so were Celtic. Still hope that he does not become the new manager, theres something about him that i cant stand ( aside from the longball style.) Capello, Ranieri or Curbishly. Or anyone else.

Just read this post again, and its same old same old. Pisses me off that we have nowt else to say and are repeating ourselves everyday.

Sorry GH but the lows that you have given us overweigh the highs. Will I ever be able to respect you again - maybe if you left the club a few months ago, but now I fear not.

Watched both matches. Celtic played with passion, with a 19yr old in goal. Barca threw it all at them, they held and they counter attacked and they tackled and they cared.

Sad to say, but putting on the red jersey doesn't count for much these days, does it?

If we qualify for CL, if GH stays, we'll get slaughtered.

I've never thought very highly of Martin O'Neill but the way that Celtic disposed of a very-much in form Barcellona team (nine wins on the trot in the Liga, I think) is winning me over. Okay, the second leg was backs-to-the-wall stuff, but this is the second year on the trot that they're punching above their weight in Europe and all this with a squad made up largely of rejects.

Whilst a couple of months back, I wouldn't have given him a second thought, if O'Neill were to be made manager I wouldn't be disappointed. Obviously, I'm aware of his predilection to play long-ball, but I just think that he plays in the manner that best suits his players.

As for Houllier crying about tonight's reffing, the truth is that we've been dumped out of the cup by the first slightly-better-than-average side we've met. Let's not forget that Marseille have conceded 8 goals in their last to French League games. We should have closed the tie in the first leg, where we played the usual drab style we've become so used to over the past two years.

What next for Liverpool? I suspect that we limp our way to the last day of the season where it will be make or break against Newcastle. I'm actually caught in two minds about Champions League qualification. On the one hand, there is the obvious need to be among the big boys, not only for the status but more importantly for the money. Then again, if we do make it, I fear that Houllier will try to turn it into a heroic achievement against the odds and get himself another year at the job.

I'm not attacking the man himself, who did a brilliant job in his first years in charge and will leave us with some great memories. But the truth is that most fans can't stand the mediocrity that we're being served with week in, week out and sad as it might be, the buck has to stop with Houllier.

We're going backward with every month, occasionally playing well but in general not seeming to be bothered. I've spoken to countless fans and none of them were confident that' we'd manage to beat Wolves at home which says it all really. Even worse, the scrappy win that we eventually did manage confirmed most people's thoughts.

At this point a change is vital for Liverpool's future.

Cheers

Paul

celtic and those geordie pricks have got in lucky in the draw as well (and the way the matches went last night).

imagine those two in the final, the amount of replica shirts and shite about "great fans".

oh you mean;

celtic - will have loads of fans, they are a two team COUNTRY FFS.

newcastle - where were you 12 years ago? - one team city/replica kit wearing pricks.

Wank, and i for one am staying well away from the uefa cup matches now.

and yes, i am gutted, had flights etc already to be booked for inter milan.

I think the word is........erm...........flabbergasted!

All due respect, we were playing rather well before the 'incident' and Ged's formation and tactics looked good; but the mistake was made before the match kicked-off. OK Steph hasn't looked his best but has Hyypia? Biscan? Surely in an important away-day in Europe you play the most experienced defense possible and you do not let the likes of Igor Twatface near the pitch! His arms are all over the place! He'd already wrestled one of their players to the ground about five mins before! We needed Steph, and he wouldn't have let us down. Instead, he plays an inept cartoon of a footballer. Picked for his pace I believe! Steph would never have been caught out there because he and Sammi play deep. Marlet may have got the ball, but he'd have got a whack too, way outside the box!

This must be the final nail in the coffin. The straw that broke the camels back. The end of Houllier's dodgy team selection and dodgy tactics.

Explain:

Why didn't we attack like we did for 30 mins last night WHEN WE WERE AT HOME!!?!!

What does Igor do in training to get anywhere near the first team? (My guess? He sucks-off Houllier!)

Where's Harry when we really need him? Usually sulking in the corner, but when things are looking good for us, he'll make a tackle or two.

Why, when Ged made the decision to stick with 3 defenders (easily enough to cope with Marseille!), did we resort to the long-ball game? I've never seen Gerrard hit so many hopeless long-balls in my life!

I'm sick of it. The only good thing to come out of it is that it was one of Houlliers misfit signings that cost us, and that should surely mean bye bye Ged, thanks for the 5 year plan. Time to build the team around the truly dedicated and talented players we have and to get rid of the crap that Ged has brought in.

Players worthy of the shirt:

Owen

Gerrard

Carra

Milan

Didi

Murph

Did I miss anyone? I think 2 of those were houllier signings!

Fucking horseshit.

celtic and those geordie pricks have got in lucky in the draw as well (and the way the matches went last night).

imagine those two in the final, the amount of replica shirts and shite about "great fans".

oh you mean;

celtic - will have loads of fans, they are a two team COUNTRY FFS.

newcastle - where were you 12 years ago? - one team city/replica kit wearing pricks.

Wank, and i for one am staying well away from the uefa cup matches now.

and yes, i am gutted, had flights etc already to be booked for inter milan.

We were (are) not good enough plain and simple it was obvious during the home leg.

As for everybody slagging M Oneill, ask yourself what tactics GH would employ given the same players FFS...we have used some diabolical tactics on many an occassion during the last 2 seasons.

credit where credits due Oneill hasn't done a bad job all things considered. He might be in a 2 club league but they are unbeaten at home in all comps including Europe- not a bad record is it??

Murph????????????????????????????????

do you mean danny murphy? because I hope you dont,he is a bag of shite

....and I'm sure you were saying that last season too when he was one of our best players! Murphy is a bloody good midfielder but he's suffering the same disease as Owen etc...

How much would you pay for Owen right now? Twenty quid?

....so he's bag of shite, right?

....and I'm sure you were saying that last season too when he was one of our best players! Murphy is a bloody good midfielder but he's suffering the same disease as Owen etc...

How much would you pay for Owen right now? Twenty quid?

....so he's bag of shite, right?

Spot on.

People forget that he was our best player by a fvcking country mile last year. Only Scholes scored more goals than him as a midfielder, and the "little ginger fella" (Copyright Big Fat Ron) was playing upfront for most of last season.

Granted, he's no Steven Gerrard or Patrick Viera but those who say he's shit are blind.

Blind, and fickle as fuck.

He was a legend last year and is a quality player. He gives the ball away a lot at the moment but at least he keeps asking for it again and again, not hiding like some of the shithouses that earn a fortune...heskey, kewell etc.

He has been absolute garbage this year but he is still a very good player, he is the type of player who wins you a championship, because he is 6th choice in midfield but dosen't upset the squad.

Clive Woodward said that he was prouder of the 8 players not even on the bench for the final becuase they won the world cup with their attitude the week before the game, same applies to football. It's your Parlours, Edu's, P Nevilles and Solskjaers that you need to win a championship....and Murphy is just as good as them.

Allow me to add to your reputation. That is the best summary of Murphy's worth I've seen. He's exactly the sort of player we should rebuild the squad around. He only lacks two things: pace and concentration, and the latter will improve. He was class last season and, for me, his poor form this year has been one of our biggest problems. If we'd had his goals, as well as the extras we've had from Kewell, we'd have at least 10 more points by now and probably still have a couple of trophies to play for.

The Murph is great.