You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glen Johnson to Real Madrid????

AGGERaphobic

He's playing well for England tonight.

I accept he might not be the best of defenders (& i usually like my defenders to defend 1st & attack 2nd) but with the right manager & team attitude he could still be a top quality signing imo.

hes useless and will always be useless. what match are you watching

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's playing well for England tonight.

I accept he might not be the best of defenders (& i usually like my defenders to defend 1st & attack 2nd) but with the right manager & team attitude he could still be a top quality signing imo.

He needs a center half alongside him who'll be his big brother; someone who is good enough to be able to say to him, "No worries, handle what you can, I'll handle the rest". We're trying to shoe-horn him into a role he just doesn't suit and every time he slips up, he's berated and we suck a little more self-confidence out of him; no-one is stepping up to help him out. Which is a shame because as you say used properly he'd be a matchwinner.

He needs a center half alongside him who'll be his big brother; someone who is good enough to be able to say to him, "No worries, handle what you can, I'll handle the rest". We're trying to shoe-horn him into a role he just doesn't suit and every time he slips up, he's berated and we suck a little more self-confidence out of him; no-one is stepping up to help him out. Which is a shame because as you say used properly he'd be a matchwinner.

I don't think he even needs to be backed up in a sense. We just need a system that allows a bit of freedom. Alves, Maicon, Ramos would all struggle just as much under the current system.

Our main problem is we play with one forward rather than 3. we could easily accomdate two defensive midfielders if we allowed the full backs to attack and had attacking players that can actually attack rather than the safety first fucking shite we've had under Rafa and now even worse under Hodgson

Guest the boy

He'll be boss under the right manager playing to his and our other top players' strengths. Playing route one football it's no wonder he, Torres, Cole, and Gerrard to a lesser extent, have been so ineffective. Get back to the one-touch football that was seen in the slaying of Benfica last season. Before Benitez got his fingers burnt last season for playing a more expansive game and he dropped out of the team through injury he showed quality equal to Evra and the like. Still young, inflated signing but nowhere near being written off yet.

He needs a center half alongside him who'll be his big brother

A semi-competent centre half will be a welcome start.

Or why don't we just play Kelly at right back - who is better defensively and then allow Johnson to play on the wing. It is not like we have any other players on the right who can beat players and put in quality crosses into the box - Maxi and Kuyt don't do this.

Or why don't we just play Kelly at right back - who is better defensively and then allow Johnson to play on the wing. It is not like we have any other players on the right who can beat players and put in quality crosses into the box - Maxi and Kuyt don't do this.

Becuase idiots have been moaning about so called youngetsrs being better than first teamers for years then when given a run every fucker starts moaning when the young lad starts having a dip in form.

Are you suggesting Kelly is better than the current England right back? For a fucking start i'd take Capello's judgement over Roy's

Becuase idiots have been moaning about so called youngetsrs being better than first teamers for years then when given a run every fucker starts moaning when the young lad starts having a dip in form.

Are you suggesting Kelly is better than the current England right back? For a fucking start i'd take Capello's judgement over Roy's

Defensively - yes he looks better than Johnson, judging by this season.

Johnson's strengths are getting forward, being composed on the ball, beating full backs, putting in good balls into the box and shooting with both feet - he can be a match winner and he has been successful at right wing for Pompey, so the position isn't alien to him.

Kelly has looked solid whenever used, either at left back or right back and I would like to see it given a try and have been saying this since pre season, which is when Roy should have experimented such things.

There is a fatal flaw in this plan.....

Roy.jpg

I don't think he even needs to be backed up in a sense. We just need a system that allows a bit of freedom. Alves, Maicon, Ramos would all struggle just as much under the current system.

Our main problem is we play with one forward rather than 3. we could easily accomdate two defensive midfielders if we allowed the full backs to attack and had attacking players that can actually attack rather than the safety first fucking shite we've had under Rafa and now even worse under Hodgson

Last season showed that with our ball retention among the forwards like it was and the inability of our CHs to be even half decent when isolated that 2 holding midfielders wasn't enough. 3 or 4 maybe.

Of course he is. If i were an outsider I'd sell Carra & Torres before him based on the last 12 months' performances

Torres and Carragher have done the business consistently before that though. When has Johnson? I mean his whole career. He can play a bit but there's no way I'd have him in my defence.

Torres and Carragher have done the business consistently before that though. When has Johnson? I mean his whole career. He can play a bit but there's no way I'd have him in my defence.

Johnson was fantastic for an average Portsmouth team and has put in excellent performances for England. Torres hasn't even done that for his national side in the last 2 years. Carra has been as much a liability as any defender this season too

As I said, good portion of our fans are clueless

Johnson was fantastic for an average Portsmouth team and has put in excellent performances for England. Torres hasn't even done that for his national side in the last 2 years. Carra has been as much a liability as any defender this season too

As I said, good portion of our fans are clueless

So if someone disagrees with you, they're clueless, cheers. I think you're clutching at straws with the Torres comparison. Johnson had a good season with Portsmouth before he came to us granted, but I don't know about your england comment. Anyway, it's going off tangent really..You haven't mentioned anything about Johnson being good for Liverpool. At the end of the day, Johnson has been shit for Liverpool.

Johnson was brilliant last season when he first arrived. He then got injured and wasn't quite as good towards the end of the season.

I would love to see him play higher up the field, with less defensive responsibility and more freedom to run at opposition fullbacks and be a match winner.

A combination of Johnson and Kelly should be pretty tough to break down defensively as well.

It is worth a try, especially with Kuyt injured and Maxi being very average when used this season.

George you have a point about Carragher and to a lesser extent Torres, but that doesn't mean that Johnson isn't going through a real slump. He's bloody terrible at the moment.

Why is it he looks a different player at INt level. usualy other way around. Does he have a manager/system that allow require freedom for attacking full backs.

90% if not more fo the best full backs in world football are noted for their attacking ability than defensive. The era of Maldini ect seems long one. Betterto ahve attacking full back with midfield acting as cover than a defensive one in modern era

Carra has been as much a liability as any defender this season too

He had an awful patch last season as well.

People are quick to criticise Skrtel on here (even when he does nothing wrong), but he hasn't made half the mistakes Carragher has made the last two season's.

He had an awful patch last season as well.

People are quick to criticise Skrtel on here (even when he does nothing wrong), but he hasn't made half the mistakes Carragher has made the last two season's.

Yep. i fucking love Carra. The guy is a fucking legend but he should not be exempt from criticism. By no means should any blame be laid at his fett, just like Johnson, Lucas, Poulsen etc etc Its a collective thing and as a team we are not functioning in any areas whatsoever.

I maintain that i believe under the rigth manager & system, Johnson will be a revelation. As much as Alves at Barca & maicon at Inter