You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Or maybe he was sold the day after the transfer window opened, after he was told by the previous manager 8 weeks earlier he could go, so found himself a new club

Yep must be that - afterall, once a manager has been sacked everything he decided before he went MUST be followed and carried through eh?

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Daily mail really hate our club don't they... their reports and news are less reliable than tribalfootball and football-rumours websites these days. Shame on you Daily Hatemail

Nah. It's the old "put the suggestion out there and then deny it". Fan the flames of speculation. If you've never seen slimey agents do that before, you've gotten into football within the last six months. The Daily Mail is a piece of shit, but so are football agents. To a man.

Yossi WANTED to go to the Champions you bad mong.

Oh, so current players, ex managers, agents and other clubs all get to decide what transfer market decisions we make do they? I'm surprised we even had the nerve to command a fee.

Purple Aki might want to rape me, it doesn't make it right.

Oh, so current players, ex managers, agents and other clubs all get to decide what transfer market decisions we make do they? I'm surprised we even had the nerve to command a fee.

He just wants to feel your muscles.

Purps, that is, not Yossi.

If you push back, can it really be called rape?

£40million Fernando Torres bid: Chelsea throw down gauntlet but Liverpool will want more | Mail Online

Chelsea have fired their opening shot in the battle to sign Liverpool's Fernando Torres by lodging a formal bid believed to be in the region of £40million for the Spain striker.

Roman Abramovich is ready to back manager Carlo Ancelotti all the way in his pursuit of his top summer target.

And although the Anfield club are likely to demand considerably more for their prized asset, Sportsmail revealed in May that the billionaire owner is ready to part with anything up to £70m for such a 'marquee signing'.

New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson has already admitted he can offer no guarantee that either Torres or skipper Steven Gerrard will be at Anfield next season. And given Liverpool's precarious financial situation, a concerted effort to sign Torres by Chelsea is likely to prove impossible to resist.

Money man: Roman Abramovich is said to be willing to pay up to £70m for Torres

Ironically, the striker is currently sweating on his place in Spain's starting line-up for tomorrow's World Cup semi-final against Germany with speculation rife that he i s to be dropped in favour of either Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas or Manchester City new boy David Silva.

Torres yesterday admitted he has not fully recovered from undergoing knee surgery in April.

Ahead of the last-four clash at Durban's Moses Mabhida Stadium, he said he was 'not at his physical best' after struggling for form since being in South Africa.

The striker has failed to score in Spain's five games so far and added he understands some of the criticism of him and that he has had his share of 'difficult moments'.

I know it's the Fail, I'm just throwing it out there, see what you all think.

That picture of Roman Abramovich.....I hate that cunt beyond belief.

Would be mortified if we sold to another PL club.

The price is £100m

We'd all love that, but the Chavs will try their utmost to rip us off. With our idiot board-room and Chelsea fan Executive....... Not to mention £350-370 million mountain of debt, Do you really see us getting the price we want? I know if it were Benitez he'd make them pay the £70+ million in full, no pissing around.

Hmm.

If the Daily Nazi is right about Chelsea willing to offer up to 70 million I guess we’ll get to see how persuasive Roy is!

If they offer anywhere around 50 and Torres wants to go he’ll be off I think. That would in turn make it more likely for Gerrard to leave as well if Madrid make a decent offer.

Hopefully it’s either all bullshit.

Or we don’t need to sell to service the debts just yet, Torres is willing to give it another season and we manage to hang on for new owners.

The Daily Mail.

Enough said.

They'd love him to move, its all part of the big plan, but its not going to fly.

What's the big plan?

Get us bought by asset stripping yank bastards who load us with unsustainable debts meaning that we can't compete at the top end for players as the club is busy paying off the owners debts which in turn pisses off our best players who have been lied to continually by the owners and board about the future investment in the team which causes them to consider leaving because they are quite interested in winning stuff and then print a rumour about a bid from Chelsea?

And this is all the Daily Mail's plan eh? To be fair to the bastards, it's a diabolical plan that seems to have worked perfectly.

Nah. It's the old "put the suggestion out there and then deny it". Fan the flames of speculation.

Speculation has and will envelope the whole club during the close season. Every day, something different is written about us, to contradict what was said the day before. We've just had a month of it about the coaching position, as it has been settled, there'll be another 6 weeks of it now about players.

We do need a mass clearout granted, but I think G&T will stay at least one more season. Steve has had it all before, while Torres had to live with mediocrity and CL-less seasons at Atletico for years. It didn't make him leave there then, and it shouldn't make him leave now.

If we're no better off in 12 months though, they may review their situations.

£40million Fernando Torres bid: Chelsea throw down gauntlet but Liverpool will want more | Mail Online

I know it's the Fail, I'm just throwing it out there, see what you all think.

That picture of Roman Abramovich.....I hate that cunt beyond belief.

Would be mortified if we sold to another PL club.

Yes. Every time it happens, it's vomit-worthy: while the Liverpool manager is told to leave his own player alone while he prepares for a big international match, Abramovich turns up via his jet or his yacht and starts negotiating. It's the shamelessness of it, coupled with the completely uncritical reporting. It's why football is so repulsive these days.

I have to laugh at some of the figures being bandied about for Torres

Considering his commercial value to us, it's not even worth considering anything like 40 million. U

It would have to be a world record fee to even tempt the club. He has 3 years left on his contract and there ought to be no need to sell.

The thing that is confusing to me is the intention of the owners. If Broughton is being honest (big if... ) then it would be madness to sell him as any buyer will see Torres as part of the package. If the yanks intend to hang on and Broughton is a liar and a chelsea mole, then I conceed it's more likely

Chelsea's Roman Abramovich heads to South Africa to capture £50m Fernando Torres

By Jason Burt in Durban and Rory Smith

Published: 6:15AM BST 06 Jul 2010

The extraordinary fee still falls short of Liverpool's £70 million valuation of their prize asset in what is set to be a summer of turmoil at Anfield. Javier Mascherano is also understood to be adamant that he wants to leave and Steven Gerrard is still attracting very strong interest from Real Madrid.

Abramovich's presence here shows how seriously Chelsea are taking their pursuit of Torres, who is hoping to keep his place in the Spain side for Tuesday's semi-final in Durban against Germany despite a series of indifferent displays in the tournament.

Chelsea have long-coveted the striker and have spent months discussing the best strategy to sign him.

Their interest will, probably, be rivalled by Manchester City but the allure of playing Champions League football makes them the favourites to secure Torres who wants to remain in England should he leave Liverpool.

Barcelona are also interested but they are struggling to raise the funds while the 27 year-old is unsure he wants to return to Spain yet.

Despite a stream of denials by Torres's agents Bahía Internacional – including a statement yesterday by his agent Juan Antonio Martín – both Chelsea and City have been led to believe that he wants to leave this summer.

However because Chelsea are set to bid below the valuation anticipated by Liverpool, it may mean Torres will have to push for a move which could make things messy.

Earlier this year, City's football administrator, Brian Marwood, is understood to have reached an informal agreement by which a bid would be mounted if the club finished in the top four, and qualified for the Champions League, although their hopes have receded. However they will attempt to rival Chelsea for Torres's signature, especially having already acquired David Silva from Valencia as part of a huge spending spree this summer which has also led to the arrival of Yaya Touré and Jerome Boateng.

Further signings – including targets James Milner and Edin Dzeko – are expected.

Torres laid down a marker in what is turning into a protracted exit strategy when he said he wanted Liverpool to recruit half a dozen high-calibre players this summer to avoid last season's disappointment.

But he has said he will speak to new manager Roy Hodgson before resolving his future.

Liverpool have already sold Yossi Benayoun to Chelsea for £5.5 million but the departure of Torres would represent a significant admission by the club that they are struggling to compete especially if Mascherano – who is wanted by Rafael Benítez at Inter Milan – also leaves.

Matters are, of course, complicated by Liverpool's limited finances and the attempts to sell the club by their American owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

Abramovich was in South Africa for the start of the World Cup but has now returned to show Torres and his representatives how serious his intent is.

He is hoping to meet with Torres' agents over the next few days. A source close to the deal said last night that the Chelsea owner was "pushing very hard" to complete the deal.

Liverpool meanwhile are believed to be monitoring Maynor Figueroa, Wigan's Honduran international left-back. The 27 year-old, who has spent two seasons at the DW Stadium, is expected to leave for around £6 million this summer but wishes to remain in England.

Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager who brought Figueroa to the Premier League, attempted to take the player to the Stadium of Light in January and is expected to renew his interest, but may face competition as Hodgson looks to bolster his defence.

Hodgson has just £12.5 million to spend and inherited one senior left back, the inexperienced Argentine international, Emiliano Insúa.

Hodgson, the former Fulham manager, has also been linked with a move for former Arsenal midfielder Gilberto Silva, currently with Panathinaikos, while Joe Ledley, whose contract at Cardiff City has expired, is also thought to be under consideration.

Chelsea's Roman Abramovich heads to South Africa to capture £50m Fernando Torres - Telegraph

Am getting slightly more concerned now...

So what Rory Smith is saying is the Chelsea owner is tapping up our players, maybe he should start putting in quotes and are the FA taking note of this and UEFA given Chelseas recent history

"Mr Abramovich went to South Africa to watch the World Cup, as everyone knows he is a huge supporter of football, etc, etc."

"Mr Abramovich went to South Africa to watch the World Cup, as everyone knows he is a huge supporter of football, etc, etc."

An artcle with no quotes, means it's crap.

Torres will be staying here, unless the bank says he can't. If Chelsea admired him so much, where were they in 2007 when we were the only club in the running to buy him? Laughing at him, that's where they were. Well, we had the last laugh then, and we'll have the last laugh now.