You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England vs USA

Other than the goal I thought Gerrard was pretty poor. Didn't put himself about much and was never trying to get close to Heskey to receive the knockdowns (though Heskey won fuck all in the air).

It remains the case that Gerrard and Lampard just can't play together. That just isn't going to change. At times they were 40/50 yards away from one another. Really poor. I thought England's midfield played like 4 individuals rather than a unit. Very poor passing and movement and zero creativity or imagination. Their lack of cohesion was telling and may very well cost them dear.

Gerrard was not at his best, but Rooney hardly put a clubbed foot right all game.

• Replies 632
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!Bm4zLBQBmk~$(KGrHqEOKj0EtjzYJJ7tBLhUNYl7(g~~_35.JPG

Oh well, it's Stevie so I don't mind it that much.

The result isn't anywhere near being a catastrophe for England. Everyone knew going into things that this was the tough match-up of the group. A point is a point.

The US has done what they've done for as long as I've followed them (circa 1994): ride their luck, create a few decent chances, but basically defend the heck out of anything that comes. Howard is a tough, athletic 'keeper, but benefited from having a few balls hit directly at him. Still, he's the rock of the team. Donovan was just okay (compared to his usual self)....Findley's speed created trouble....Cherundolo (whose name was mispronounced ALL NIGHT) played great, especially in the first half.....Altidore should have buried that chance after he got by Carra......Onyewu had an excellent game.

A point all around, and then games against Algeria and Slovenia. Not a bad start.

Get your tenses sorted out lad.

I so hope ENGLAND crash out of this, I am MORE concerned with my CLUB rather than this shit team. Any of you cunts supporting England better not be at Anfield next season.

This kind of nonsense makes me laugh. You're a boss Scouser you lah!

Come next season are you going to be monitoring all turnstiles at the ground checking out which lads have been watching the England matches and knocking back those who admit to such a heinous crime?

Guest the boy

I'd like to know the context in which USA are a 'decent side'. Are they one of the top 8 in the tournament? Not a chance. Top dozen? Still questionable.

Having beaten Spain in what was effectively a friendly does not reckon with drawing such a plodding, workman like performance out of England at the World Cup. I've no interest either way in the country's international fortunes, but they should be sweeping aside a team of Premier League journeymen.

Nice goal for Gerrard. I wish him success and anyone who doesn't needs looking at.

Green- it happens. Sometimes it happens on a field with more clover than grass, in a pub league. Sometimes it happens in a WC. Maybe it was the zulavulavas noise.

Heskey- didn't disappoint. Missed a sitter, fell down, rolled around, etc. God, brings back the memories from 03-4.

Beckham- please fuck off. Please. Idiot.

US- should get through and would be funny if they nicked first and got Ghana or the Aussies and England got the Gerries.

Lampard- cack.

I so hope ENGLAND crash out of this, I am MORE concerned with my CLUB rather than this shit team. Any of you cunts supporting England better not be at Anfield next season.

Didn't know you had two accounts Redshadow!

Beckham- please fuck off. Please. Idiot.

I don't blame him, I just blame the media and their wankfest. Ok, if they fancy him, they should try chatting him up or something, but stop panning the fucking camera onto him when there's an important game on. It's silly, not needed, and seriously embarrassing.

Count out Slovenia at your peril... They qualified on the strength of their defending.

The difference between Slovenia and the States will be psychological: Slovenia will be unnecessarily intimidated, while the Americans weren't.

Apart from top quality opposition, it's teams like the States, Sweden, and Ireland that have troubled England over the last couple of decades: teams that get stuck in and play (more or less) an English brand of football. The advantage those teams have - despite inferior individuals and squads - is fewer egos and less media-generated pressure...

They keep going on about the save Green did make but it looked to me that he flapped that one as well, the ball went straight through his hand which is why it ricocheted onto the bar yet if he's had a strong wrist it'd have gone to the right and out of play.

It wasn't entirely Greens fault. He made a shite of it but England were very poor outfield. It just takes the spotlight off how bad Lampard and Rooney were.

England will be doing well to get past the last 16. Usual shite, arrogant bastards.

It wasn't entirely Greens fault. He made a shite of it but England were very poor outfield. It just takes the spotlight off how bad Lampard and Rooney were.

England will be doing well to get past the last 16. Usual shite, arrogant bastards.

I really don't believe the majority of the team themselves are arrogant, but large sections of the media, the gutter press especially, really are an embarrassment when it comes to the shameless promotion of the England team.

Oh, I totally agree. But you can't use the press as a stick to beat the team with. I'm sure the players would be overjoyed if that lot fucked off and left them alone.

The players seem to play on the hype that the media brings up. They seem to think they are better than they actually are do the players.

Every world cup/euro championship the press/players say "this is our year our time" why? teams that win these competions usually have 6-7 great players England have probably 2-3 great players the rest are decent players we hype ourselves up to the point the opposition must think "lets go out and fuck these overrated over payed tossers" and Robert Green you fucked up my saturday nite piss up, wanker !!

It's already written in the stars that Green is the current massive scapegoat, because if the sewage press focus on how badly the other 10 players worked together the whole world cup hype means nothing, which sells less papers and has less people watching sky tv, itv, and the bbc. We are not going to win the world cup. Either Fabio and his squad turn into a collective Gandalf or it's already over. No point in getting any hopes up. No use in getting sucked into the hype, there's plenty of better things to do.

I see the all singing all dancing Capello is still to get to grips with a few puzzles.

Who to play in goal?

Gerrard and Lampard, together in the centre of midfield?

How to get the best out of Rooney?

The puzzle he has created for himself, Emile Heskey?

And how to speak English? He's been here what, nearly 3 years and apparently turned to his interpreter last night???

I don't think England will get past the quarters.

Of course they might do, as someone has already said that's football and you never know. But Capello, he seems no different to Sven, except Sven didn't need an interpreter.

They keep going on about the save Green did make but it looked to me that he flapped that one as well, the ball went straight through his hand which is why it ricocheted onto the bar yet if he's had a strong wrist it'd have gone to the right and out of play.

How can you say that? In that situation he did well just to get something on the ball surely.

Its like saying Dudek flapped at the save he made from Shevchenko in lstanbul.

How can you say that? In that situation he did well just to get something on the ball surely.

Its like saying Dudek flapped at the save he made from Shevchenko in lstanbul.

It's not, Dudeks technique and strong wrist was exactly the reason he did save it.

Green should have palmed it away yet the ball went through his hand.

There was some fella in the pub yesterday standing next to his mate at the bar and he started huffing and puffing about Capello's team selection and he turned around and said, "Personally, I'd play Carragher at right back instead of Johnson because Gerrard plays with him every week."

Hmmmmmmm...

I see the all singing all dancing Capello is still to get to grips with a few puzzles.

Who to play in goal?

Gerrard and Lampard, together in the centre of midfield?

How to get the best out of Rooney?

The puzzle he has created for himself, Emile Heskey?

And how to speak English? He's been here what, nearly 3 years and apparently turned to his interpreter last night???

I don't think England will get past the quarters.

Of course they might do, as someone has already said that's football and you never know. But Capello, he seems no different to Sven, except Sven didn't need an interpreter.

If Steve McClaren had been in charge last night the press and a huge majority of fans would be all over him.

Capello is obviously a top manager, but he's treated totally differently to the last manager.

oh god... i watched england last night. Can i come to anfield next season please?