You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

The worst Labour government is always better than the best tory.

True. But I can't help wishing they would get off their arses and start channelling and focusing some of the widespread anger around the country; Hell, if they did the job of a proper Opposition, they could stir up more anger by giving the lie to the wave upon wave of bullshit and scapegoating that's spewing out of Downing Street every day.

If they had the stones to lead that anger and to provide a credible alternative, they would have these cunts out of power in a heartbeat.

Sadly, they're too scared of the reaction from the Daily Mail and the CBI - and, I suspect, they are too embedded in the political class to be anything but hostile to the working class - so they're just going to sit around and wait until the Tories (and the chair warmers in yellow ties) are hoofed out in two years time.

The Class War went nuclear today - and there's barely been a whimper raised in resistance.

It might come as a surprise to many, but that's likely because the benefit changes are very popular.

Why are the left so angry about today's welfare reform? Because it's popular - and right. » Spectator Blogs

It’s tough being a supporter of this coalition government. Mishap and omnishambles have come to characterise its first three years in office – but you can almost forgive all of this given the progress being made on education and welfare. Reforming the latter is the toughest mission in politics, and another phase of that reform comes into effect today.

But here’s the thing: the welfare reform is not causing mass outrage. Of course, Polly Toynbee is furious – but to the bafflement of the chattering class, the masses seem to think the reform is long overdue. Study after study confirms this. There was that YouGov/Prospect study suggesting that three in four people (and a majority of Labour voters) think that Britain spends too much on welfare. In fact, popular opinion seems even more hawkish that the average Tory MP. You’ll struggle to hear any self-respecting MP using the word “scroungers,” for example, but two in five think that applies to a significant minority of welfare claimants. The Joseph Rowntree Foundation has found that attitudes to those on welfare are even more negative than attitudes towards the rich.

Given that the average worker is having to make do with 1pc increase in salary, is it really cruel to impose a 1pc rise to welfare payments? Especially after benefits rose three times faster that salaries last year? It’s no surprise that more a YouGov/Sunday Times poll found the 1pc rise to welfare enjoys a 10-point lead in support. Ironically, welfare reform is one of the most popular things this government is doing. And it’s never more popular than amongst those on low wages, who share housing estates with the welfare-dependent and can see the injustice. You need to look at Britain through the columns of a spreadsheet not to see the wider point of what’s going on.

(Don't shoot the messenger - I neither endorse nor oppose the thrust of this article, I merely present it here as a counterpoint)

Worst Government I've ever known. People still bang on about Thatcher and willing her death, she couldn't hold a candle to these.

Not by a mile.

The reason this one is so bad is because of everything the thatcher government did to allow the present one to do what they want and virtually unopposed.

It would have been a whole lot more difficult to pull these stunts off with a large amount of people in public industry and in strong trades unions.

Worst Government I've ever known. People still bang on about Thatcher and willing her death, she couldn't hold a candle to these.

Not by a mile.

The reason this one is so bad is because of everything the thatcher government did to allow the present one to do what they want and virtually unopposed.

It would have been a whole lot more difficult to pull these stunts off with a large amount of people in public industry and in strong trades unions.

I was thinking about this today, I was too young during the Thatcher government to know what was going on, I know my dad kept getting made redundant though.

These in power make me feel physically sick how the most vulnerable members of society are the first to be attacked while their rich pals all escape Scott free.

It might come as a surprise to many, but that's likely because the benefit changes are very popular.

Why are the left so angry about today's welfare reform? Because it's popular - and right. » Spectator Blogs

(Don't shoot the messenger - I neither endorse nor oppose the thrust of this article, I merely present it here as a counterpoint)

Well if that's right (doubtful being from that fucking comic) then the country is fucked and so is humanity. I for one fucking give up.

I hope the North Koreans kick off and the world ends, we don't fucking deserve to carry on as a race, because there's too many fucking cunts in charge!!!

Not having a go at you personally here SD,just giving a few sentences on the article itself.

I might understand that 3 out of 4 believe we spend too much on Welfare payments but at least 2 out those three believe its because the country's politicians have let their citizens down and simply have to as there arent enough proper jobs around.

Hell,I believe we spend too much on Welfare payments but understand why we do it and that the actions needed to change this wont be applied by any party any time soon.

I also suggest people who do think its a good idea are mainly the ones who will be totally unaffected by these changes themselves.

No idea of the leanings of The Spectator but I suspect its heavily to the Southpaw side(leading with the right) and this is another bit of propoganda to convince themselves and their supporters that they are doing something positive and good.

I dont expect them to carry an article suggesting its an ill thought out plan and will cause even more hardship than already exists.

They certainly wont carry anything suggesting that its another way of reducing costs to subsidise tax cuts for the wealthy either but I may be wrong!

Welfare, meh, I'm not too arsed about the reforms. In fact, I'd squeeze the harder in some cases, I think the food and clothes stamps idea had some merit to it, but some cunts will always try to flog the to get cash for booze or sunglasses. Fuck you, it's money to keep you alive, respect the fucking gesture.

But overall this government is fucked, there's no leadership or grand plan, it's just cuts and saving money but to what end? When we're all debt free, what then?

The curriculum is being raped, for no reason either, none at all.

We're throwing billions at a high speed rail network when we should be spending billions on offshore wind farms. We're spending billions on defence when we should be dismantling it and spending on conservation efforts. Just suck Americas cock and let them fight our wars, it's futile to spend on defence, utterly futile.

I'd love to see Labour back on the scene, but they're missing a leader with a vision. You'd think that ONE of the millions of angry men might stand up and have a go.

But what do you expect when the school curriculum donates more time to French lessons than to politics and energising future leaders outside of Oxbridge?

Not by a mile.

I can't agree, Thatcher could only dream of the cuts and devastation this shower are endorsing, the effects will be absolutely horrific, they're unprecedented and it will take a while yet before the true horror of them really kicks in. The future is very, very bleak.

I can't agree, Thatcher could only dream of the cuts and devastation this shower are endorsing, the effects will be absolutely horrific, they're unprecedented and it will take a while yet before the true horror of them really kicks in. The future is very, very bleak.

You are talking about a government that dismantled the Mining,Steel,Railway and Transport industries and the jobs involved in them and brought the Unions to its knees and introduced laws that made it almost impossible to do anything to stop you losing your job and associated benefits in the stroke of a pen. She was the architect of everything that has followed,including people's attitudes and loss of community spirit.

This shower arent clever enough to do that and are getting away with it because of her.

Mind you its like arguing over who is the biggest murdering bastard and the choices being Adolf Hitler or Joseph Stalin.

The true horror of what's happening is the lack of resistance to it. Basically it took a world war to bring people to the realisation that they deserved better in life than to be merely surviving. And in the space of two years we're well down the route to undoing it all with barely a whimper.

Thatcher laid the groundwork for this and New Labour helped perpetuate it - it was social engineering, nothing less. There's this mass, lower-middle 'aspirational' class whose lust for consumer goods and to be seen keeping up appearances is strangely underscored by a moronic lack of interest in anything that really matters, they're educated - yet in many ways - they're the least aware generation if recent memory.

Very few people out there truly know what's going on, truly understand what's happening to the country or what the political landscape looks like.

And for that, you can blame the education system I suppose. Who gets into politics?

It's like the PCC elections, you had to put £5,000 down as a fucking deposit just to stand for election. Cue a load of doddery fuckers who are retired armed forces officers and upper-middle twats with aspirations of having dinner with Lords.

I'm sick of it, this country is full of gutless wankers and that includes me. I'd love to stand for parliament but at 33 I don't feel ready or secure enough to embark on it. But I'm sick of hearing voices on the telly and not one of them sounding like me.

This pungent country needs someone to represent the workers, and I've not see a person like that in...fuck knows, have we ever?

Couldn't find the benefits thread that was going the other day so I'll whack this in here.

We applied for DLA for the wife back in October, initially we were reluctant to but after a while we had noticed costs like heating, washing, fuel etc were all going up considerably so we did.

We finally got through their decision today and she's entitled to £20.55 a week, that's the lowest rate possible for care and no mobility.

This is for a woman with terminal cancer, can't be left in the house alone, is unable to cook or clean for herself, is incotinent and can't even wash herself at night due to fatigue and these cunts reckon that's worth £20 a week. That doesn't even cover the parking charges for hospital appointments ffs.

next twat the goes on about how great benefits are is getting negged.

Didn't realise anyone had replied to my rant.

The Macmillon rep at the local CAB said this is par for the course. People are automatically put on bottom rate no matter there circumstances and they'll wait to see if you appeal.

If you appeal then very often they'll up your claim without it even going to the appeal stage. They also said they are judging claims on the new criteria that doesn't even come into effect until next month.

EDIT: The BBC/select comittee reckon it's 40% of appeals being upgraded before actually reaching the 'appeal stage'.

That sounds awfully like a policy to me.

photosqf.jpg

photo2mbb.jpg

photo2afd.jpg

photo1tly.jpg

So 9 weeks after we 'appeal' Carly's DLA goes from low rate care and no mobility to high rate care and high rate mobility but it didn't even reach the appeal stage.

They 'reviewed' the initial application.

It's a fucking deliberate policy to deliberately pick on the weakest and most sick, poor and vulnerable in society. Over 35 years Carly and I have paid into the system and had never claimed a penny between us and these cunts wanted to play games to try and save a few quid.

Carly was too fucking ill to fill out the forms at the beginning, I had to fill them out for her, christ I even forged her signature on the first form as she couldn't stop shitting the bed.

It only took the 5 months from first application to finally getting the correct decision.

Like I said it's a deliberate policy and it's a fucking disgrace to those that implement it and defend it.

And for that, you can blame the education system I suppose. Who gets into politics?

It's like the PCC elections, you had to put £5,000 down as a fucking deposit just to stand for election. Cue a load of doddery fuckers who are retired armed forces officers and upper-middle twats with aspirations of having dinner with Lords.

I'm sick of it, this country is full of gutless wankers and that includes me. I'd love to stand for parliament but at 33 I don't feel ready or secure enough to embark on it. But I'm sick of hearing voices on the telly and not one of them sounding like me.

This pungent country needs someone to represent the workers, and I've not see a person like that in...fuck knows, have we ever?

I'm slightly more conspiratorial than that. I think part of it is schooling - in top private schools people are taught to expect more from themselves, while in mainstream schools you're taught to target careers which are seen as achiveable. But I think the culture of the country is to revel in being a moron. Celebrity, glorification of the military, pop culture and politics are all strangely entwined now, it's beyond satire.

Who is disqualified from standing as an MP?

Certain groups of people are not allowed to stand, these include:

members of the police forces

members of the armed forces

civil servants and judges

people who are subject of a bankruptcy restrictions order in England or Wales or a debt relief restrictions order

people who have been adjudged bankrupt in Northern Ireland

people who have had their estate sequestrated in Scotland

-——--------------------

The average age of an MP is 50, and they take a basic salary of £65,000.

How many 18-35 year old people does this disqualify immediately?

The young, the poor, the people who most need a voice in parliament.

I'm slightly more conspiratorial than that. I think part of it is schooling - in top private schools people are taught to expect more from themselves, while in mainstream schools you're taught to target careers which are seen as achiveable. But I think the culture of the country is to revel in being a moron. Celebrity, glorification of the military, pop culture and politics are all strangely entwined now, it's beyond satire.

Totally agree, there's a curriculum issue and has been for years, there's also a teacher issue where 22 year old wankers can go and teach in schools. Not in all schools mind, you try getting into private schools with no cv behind you. No way, their kids are better than that.

One thing you might be interested in knowing is that the new curriculum makes no mention whatsoever about human rights.

Still he'll never get it right

Cos when he's laying in bed at night

Watching roaches climb the wall

He can call his dad and he'll stop it all

[Edit - I'll sign a petition for Iain Duncan Smith to be tied in a sack and thrown in the canal, if there's one going.]

Welfare, meh, I'm not too arsed about the reforms. In fact, I'd squeeze the harder in some cases, I think the food and clothes stamps idea had some merit to it, but some cunts will always try to flog the to get cash for booze or sunglasses. Fuck you, it's money to keep you alive, respect the fucking gesture.

But overall this government is fucked, there's no leadership or grand plan, it's just cuts and saving money but to what end? When we're all debt free, what then?

We're throwing billions at a high speed rail network when we should be spending billions on offshore wind farms. We're spending billions on defence when we should be dismantling it and spending on conservation efforts. Just suck Americas cock and let them fight our wars, it's futile to spend on defence, utterly futile.

I'd love to see Labour back on the scene, but they're missing a leader with a vision. You'd think that ONE of the millions of angry men might stand up and have a go.

But what do you expect when the school curriculum donates more time to French lessons than to politics and energising future leaders outside of Oxbridge?

Guess what...

Sorry funny, my dog stood on the lap top and negged you before I could finish my comment. I wouldn't want you to miss out;

'You don't have a fucking clue. Roll up that copy of the Daily Mail and stick it up your shitter sideways'.