You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The David Moores Letter

What did you think of the letter from DM?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the letter from DM?

• Excellent.
    • Good, but could have gone a bit further
    • Disappointing
    • Completely pointless

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is fucking sickening

Other than my wishing death to Moores, which obviously affected you by the name calling and negging - what else has sickened you? As all I can see is posts of detest for a greedy cunt of a man who still refuses to apologise but continues to make excuses...

Best thing is you don't visit this thread again as I can't see the tone changing too much.

"Dear Tony,

[...]

Yours faithfully"

He can't even write a letter properly. All the same, for fans who are supposed to know all about the reality of death and loss and suffering, the way diseases, fatal car crashes and terminal illnesses are wished on others every other post on here is sick-making. Withering contempt and hatred is quite sufficient.

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - David Moores is a welcome voice in Liverpool FC’s crucial campaign to oust Hicks and Gillett - Comment by Sports Editor John Thompson

IT'S tempting, even inevitable, to pore over David Moores' open letter and pick up on every detail, analysing whether he is right or wrong with what he says and how he sees it now.

But today by far the most important lines the ex-Liverpool chairman pens come with his demands for Hicks and Gillett to get out of Liverpool FC.

That's what is urgently needed for a great football club in peril. It's what every Liverpool fan – and Moores is certainly one too – now wants to see happen.

It is the common goal which, for all the debate, every Reds fan shares. A flagpole demand which every supporter, whatever their view, background, or address here in Liverpool, England or abroad, must rally round and focus upon.

Moores is not a man of confrontation. And he should be believed when he stresses his motive in selling to the pair was not to pocket a few more millions than he could have had from Dubai.

For all his flaws and critics, there is no doubt Moores is right when he insists he cares about Liverpool far more than that.

I sat in his office interviewing him for the ECHO just 12 hours before Hicks and Gillett first walked into Anfield. The cracks in his voice and tears in his eyes were genuine as he relinquished control. With Rick Parry, Moores wanted to make the right decision and hoped he had done.

Time and tide now show that selling to Hicks and Gillett was a huge mistake. Blame has to be apportioned to some degree. Lessons must be learned. That is the least this sorry episode owes the supporters. But for all the natural desire to examine the past it’s vital Liverpudlians, rather than fracture into factions, stick together to help a club that needs them now like never before.

Moores has joined the cries from fans groups like the Spirit of Shankly and Share Liverpool. He has added his weight to the ECHO's continued calls for Hicks and Gillett to go.

He should be welcomed to the fold of protest, given credit for his dignity and honesty, and assured by fans that someday, somehow, he will be back among them at Anfield.

This may have been already covered, but I'm not sure exactly how this changes anything?

And this is the crux of it. It is an entirely forgettable piece. The old adage of “Todays news, tomorrows fish and chip paper” absolutely applies here. Moores admits he didn’t even look into Hicks history, yet he doesn’t feel he has to apologise for this? In his whole 3000 words he mentions just twice that they should sell up, as opposed to saying it every 3rd line and hammering them.

It’s a nothing letter that will not garner him any sympathy at all as he clearly feels he hasn’t done a lot wrong other then make a bit of a mistake which was the fans fault anyway because we rushed him into selling. So there will be no rush to bring him back into the fold and keep this relevant.

This will be forgotten in the media quicker then a Torres hattrick if Rooney has set up a goal on the same day.

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - David Moores is a welcome voice in Liverpool FC’s crucial campaign to oust Hicks and Gillett - Comment by Sports Editor John Thompson

IT'S tempting, even inevitable, to pore over David Moores' open letter and pick up on every detail, analysing whether he is right or wrong with what he says and how he sees it now.

But today by far the most important lines the ex-Liverpool chairman pens come with his demands for Hicks and Gillett to get out of Liverpool FC.

That's what is urgently needed for a great football club in peril. It's what every Liverpool fan – and Moores is certainly one too – now wants to see happen.

It is the common goal which, for all the debate, every Reds fan shares. A flagpole demand which every supporter, whatever their view, background, or address here in Liverpool, England or abroad, must rally round and focus upon.

Moores is not a man of confrontation. And he should be believed when he stresses his motive in selling to the pair was not to pocket a few more millions than he could have had from Dubai.

For all his flaws and critics, there is no doubt Moores is right when he insists he cares about Liverpool far more than that.

I sat in his office interviewing him for the ECHO just 12 hours before Hicks and Gillett first walked into Anfield. The cracks in his voice and tears in his eyes were genuine as he relinquished control. With Rick Parry, Moores wanted to make the right decision and hoped he had done.

Time and tide now show that selling to Hicks and Gillett was a huge mistake. Blame has to be apportioned to some degree. Lessons must be learned. That is the least this sorry episode owes the supporters. But for all the natural desire to examine the past it’s vital Liverpudlians, rather than fracture into factions, stick together to help a club that needs them now like never before.

Moores has joined the cries from fans groups like the Spirit of Shankly and Share Liverpool. He has added his weight to the ECHO's continued calls for Hicks and Gillett to go.

He should be welcomed to the fold of protest, given credit for his dignity and honesty, and assured by fans that someday, somehow, he will be back among them at Anfield.

*applause*

Naive and not the greatest business brain ever, he may be.

Greedy?

He didn't sell to G&H purely because they offered the most money.

David Johnson talking on TalkSport claiming that the owners are businessmen, they have a plan and care as much about LFC as former owner David Moores and supporters. (StevieH)

Ah right- similar to what he said on LFC TV then.

Fuck him. He's a dickhead.

Les Lawson, of the LFC Official Supporters’ Club, said: “David Moores is a wealthy man. When George Gillett introduced Tom Hicks, Moores should have got a group of solicitors to find out as much about him as they could.

Jesus Christ, Les. It's a hard task to make Davey Moores sound professional, but you've managed it.

*applause*

Greedy?

Agreed. He's a naive and pretty dim but there's nothing seriously mendacious about the bloke when it comes to the club.

yeah moores fucked up on a huge scale but aint hindsight a wonderful thing!! Lets face it we all wish we had delt with some things better at some point in our lifes.Give the bloke a little break here everyone has called for him to come out and give his side and he has.People are still not happy why?did it not say what you wanted to hear??

H&G have lied to Moores to us the fans and well everyone connected to them and LFC!! we have all been taken for a ride not just Moores lets not forget them sitting in that press conference telling us about the spade in the ground and the debt wouldnt be put on the club etc.

But 1 question id love to see moores answer is if he had all this in writing/contract and it carrys any weight why not use it to hold them to task over there promises??

Agreed. He's a naive and pretty dim but there's nothing seriously mendacious about the bloke when it comes to the club.

Agreed, but the people who put this man into such a powerful position should take a long hard look at themselves.

Yes I am talking about you Mr White & Mr Robinson.

What, you seriously didn't think a situation like this was likely if you left this man in charge?

Just look at the fucking state of him. Is that the face of a greedy liar who sold to the highest bidder and is now trying to cover his arse?

Is it fuck.

David-Moores-has-previous-001.jpg

yeah moores fucked up on a huge scale but aint hindsight a wonderful thing!! Lets face it we all wish we had delt with some things better at some point in our lifes.Give the bloke a little break here everyone has called for him to come out and give his side and he has.People are still not happy why?did it not say what you wanted to hear??

H&G have lied to Moores to us the fans and well everyone connected to them and LFC!! we have all been taken for a ride not just Moores lets not forget them sitting in that press conference telling us about the spade in the ground and the debt wouldnt be put on the club etc.

But 1 question id love to see moores answer is if he had all this in writing/contract and it carrys any weight why not use it to hold them to task over there promises??

Which is fine but can you explain the previous 16 years inactivity & incompetence which has seen Utd reel us in?

Firstly I think Moores deserves a bit of credit for speaking out. It is what we all wanted on this site and is the reason why some of our memebers went to his house requesting this to help force out the current owners.

I personally think Moores was acting in the best interests of the club, rather than looking for the best deal for himself individually - but others might disagree.

Where I think he made mistakes was setting a timeframe on the whole deal. As Parry stated "you only sell the family silver once" and Moores highlights they wanted the best deal for the club. Therefore setting a deadline does not help with finding the best investors and as it turned out it looks to me that they did rush through the due diligence on Gillett and Hicks.

I think they were right to appoint PWC to look into the pair and I am shocked that both passed risk free. However PWC seemed to be only looking at whether the pair were good for the money and whether the money was clean. However as Moores stated we needed owners that not only had the finances but would stick to our traditions and care for the club.

Maybe Moores thought the personal letter stating the promises that were not delivered would ensure the club had protection if the owners went against their word. However legally it is clear we didn't have protection given the mess we are in and that letter wasn't worth anything to us, just cheap talk from the owners.

Not doubt Moores made mistakes which has cost us dear and I don't think he will ever be forgiven for those. However I do think he was acting in the best interests of the club and I will give him credit for bringing this into the forefront of the medias attention again - increasing the scrutiny on Gillett and Hicks.

I do believe he cares for the club, but unfortunately his naive actions have hurt us and I think he will live with that for the rest of his life.

*applause*

Greedy?

I agree with that. But then, you can easily see why people think he is greedy, can't you?

As I said in my above post, various things doesn't make sense. He wasn't prepared to be bullied by DIC but says he couldn't have done more checks about G&H in the time available. Why? Was he bullied by the Americans too?

He has never responded to DIC's claims of him and Parry never returning their calls. DIC are dickheads but why did Moores and Parry not take their calls?

Looks like Moores expected DIC to order the steel even before they signed the offer. Why didn't he do the same with Gillett/Hicks? Why no mention of that? If he was so particular about DIC not buying steel before the agreed timeline, why isn't he saying anything about posting the same condition to Gillett and Hicks?

If he was so worried about DIC's plan to sell the club after 7 years and borrow £300m, why didn't he do enough checks on Hicks? If he was so worried about the club's future, he shouldn't have allowed to do things within a timeline. He could have taken his time (after all G&H were the only ones in the table as DIC had walked away by then) and as he said he should have "posted the right questions even if might have meant G&H walked away from the deal". He didn't. I think he was naive and some people think he was greedy. Truth is probably in the middle somewhere. But I certainly won't blame people for thinking he is greedy.

I agree with that. But then, you can easily see why people think he is greedy, can't you?

As I said in my above post, various things doesn't make sense. He wasn't prepared to be bullied by DIC but says he couldn't have done more checks in the time available. Why? Was he bullied by the Americans too?

He has never responded to DIC's claims of him and Parry never returning their calls. DIC are dickheads but why did Moores and Parry not take their calls?

Looks like Moores expected DIC to order the steel even before they signed the offer. Why didn't he do the same with Gillett/Hicks? Why no mention of that? If he was so particular about DIC not buying steel before the agreed timeline, why isn't he saying anything about posting the same condition to Gillett and Hicks?

If he was so worried about DIC's plan to sell the club after 7 years and borrow £300m, why didn't he do enough checks on Hicks? If he was so worried about the club's future, he shouldn't have allowed to do things within a timeline. He could have taken his time (after all G&H were the only ones in the table as DIC had walked away by then) and as he said he should have "posted the right questions even if might have meant G&H walked away from the deal". He didn't. I think he was naive and some people think he was greedy. Truth is probably in the middle somewhere. But I certainly won't blame people for thinking he is greedy.

I'll preface this by saying I have no evidence.

But i'd guess he was lying to make more money

Guest davelfc

This isn't some little error here, this is our club being destroyed by some cancers. We're on the brink of administration here if it gets much worse. We could be flung into obscurity for years.

You speak as if it's an easy mistake to make, oh poor old davey, he's only gone and sold the club to two cancerous leeches who will bleed it dry and destroy it. Ah well what's he like, the dopey old bugger, live and let live eh?

Hindsight is not an excuse he gets, it was HIS responsibility to ensure that the club was going to the right new owners. He didn't do that, (by his own admission) and I'm certainly not going to cut the cunt any slack for he mess he has put us in. For the people thinking the extra millions made no difference to his choice, well it certainly sped up the decision didn't it?

Even less likely to cut him slack after that letter that does more to ease his conscience than anything else. I hope him, Coco and those two twats rot in hell.

Which is fine but can you explain the previous 16 years inactivity & incompetence which has seen Utd reel us in?

nope i cant because in them days everything was done the proper way behind closed doors and not aired in puplic so i would think it would be hard for anyone to comment on that unless we get into the guessing game

I'll preface this by saying I have no evidence.

But i'd guess he was lying to make more money

As I said, the truth is somewhere between him being naive and his greed.

The most likely scenario is he sat up and took notice of the extra £8m (lets be honest, £8m is a lot of money, even to a millionaire). That is probably one of the reasons why him and Parry avoided DIC's calls. But I don't think, at that point, he expected DIC to walk away. And I bet it came as a shock to him when DIC walked away (even though he said he expected that, I don't believe it).

And I think he panicked a little and he probably wanted to make sure he didn't want to lose G&H. So he took Gillett's word for Hicks and probably thought it would all turn out alright. And he was clearly wrong.

Guest davelfc
Just look at the fucking state of him. Is that the face of a greedy liar who sold to the highest bidder and is now trying to cover his arse?

Is it fuck.

While I agree, this photo I am not so sure about

085mooresDM_468x303.jpg

and this one

scousersDM1812_468x430.jpg