You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Successful UK Exporters

Carradona

As usual, I have come to the GF looking for coursework advice.

Basically, I have been doing coursework since about 11am today and after nearly 2000 words, my mind has gone blank.

All I need to find is a couple of examples of UK firms who have been successful by exporting products.

An example of a firm who has found it to be unsuccessful would also be appreciated.

I have tried googling a few things, but it keeps giving me back export figures for the country as a whole, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Rep for any help.

Despite the prevailing economic doom and gloom, the Scotch Whisky Association's latest figures for Scotch whisky exports make encouraging reading. Global exports rose by eight per cent during 2008, breaking the £3 billion barrier for the first time, with exports earning £97 a second for the UK balance of trade. For the fourth consecutive year, both bottled malt (up nine per cent to £497m) and bottled blended Scotch whisky (up nine per cent to £2.43bn) exports increased in value, and this increase was achieved despite a five per cent reduction in export volume, reflecting the industry's investment in premiumisation over recent years. Overall, the equivalent of 1,080 million bottles of Scotch

whisky were shipped overseas, the industry's second-best ever volume performance. After publication of the new figures, Paul Walsh, chairman of The Scotch Whisky Association, noted that "Scotch Whisky exports have proved to be resilient in the face of difficult economic conditions in a range of markets. To achieve record export value at such a time is quite an achievement and underscores just how important the industry is to the UK economy. I am convinced that the major investments made by distillers will stand us in good stead for the return to better economic times. As that happens, whisky will play a leading role in exporting the economy out of recession

whisky news June 2009 - Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, Glenfiddich Explorers

Cheers for the replies. I will definitely be using Anny Road's example of the Scottish whisky because it is something that was mentioned last year to us that I had totally forgotten about.

As for Parlophone, is that the music record label? I don't think I can use that as an example as it has to be tangible products.

I have a feeling Dyson has subsidiaries set up elsewhere and doesn't export all of their products.

A couple spring to mind.

Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie and even Diageo have done extremely well in exporting whisky.

Harris tweed and Pringle are a couple of others.

Scottish firms do quite well in exporting nieche products as the home market is small and saturated.

True good point. Intellectual property is similar. We "export" a lot of that now as we've no infrastructure for actually manufacturing stuff anymore.

As usual, I have come to the GF looking for coursework advice.

Basically, I have been doing coursework since about 11am today and after nearly 2000 words, my mind has gone blank.

All I need to find is a couple of examples of UK firms who have been successful by exporting products.

An example of a firm who has found it to be unsuccessful would also be appreciated.

I have tried googling a few things, but it keeps giving me back export figures for the country as a whole, which isn't what I'm looking for.

Rep for any help.

Look into the defense industry, BAE, to name but one, have huge exports as do other makers of Arms, airplanes, helicopters etc. Not ethical, but huge business and probably our top exporters.

Our biggest export by a mile is arms (as in weapons) with BAE Systems a huge exporter of fighter jets, aircraft carriers and electronics. After that it would be pharmaceuticals with Glaxosmithkline a huge exporter. Then I'd say it would be financial services with companys like our next sponsors Standard Chartered based in the City of London but doing virtually all their business in the Far East, Central Asia and Africa.

Our biggest export by a mile is arms (as in weapons) with BAE Systems a huge exporter of fighter jets, aircraft carriers and electronics. After that it would be pharmaceuticals with Glaxosmithkline a huge exporter. Then I'd say it would be financial services with companys like our next sponsors Standard Chartered based in the City of London but doing virtually all their business in the Far East, Central Asia and Africa.

I think cars and car parts are actually the biggest export from the UK – problem for Carradonna is that they’re mostly foreign owned companies.

Get on the UK Trade & Investment website – http://www.uktradeinvest.gov.uk should have little case studies and everything.