You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The RBS plan kicks off tomorrow night please Join. if you havent already.

Guest simon

Guest simon
Done, great work Simon

Just a tip for the future , make sure you add another email address to the cc list that you can access, that way you can guage how many mails are being sent, so you have an idea of your effectiveness

Genius that mate i never thought about that even though it would of been incredibly annoying we could of got an idea of the figures.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez lad theres about 800 people gonna send it off already instead of doing the good thing you try to take the piss.

Just a point for you Simon:

I have no idea if odris's intention was to take the piss or not but his point is valid.

The intention of the e-mail is that it be sent to RBS executives, MPs, all manner of news outlets and other people in positions of influence. In my job, I deal with correspondence all day, including letters from MPs, senior staff in financial institutions and so on (although regrettably I don't maintain personal contacts in such a way as to be able to bring any pressure to bear for this campaign) so I think I'm reasonably qualified to comment on this.

Some of the letters I receive (and indeed some of those produced by my colleagues) are filled with clumsy grammar, random capitalisation and other assorted errors and whilst that doesn't impact at all on the professionalism I demonstrate when replying to them, they are certainly a source of some amusement in the office.

When communicating in writing, you tend to form an impression of the sender (however accurate it may be) from the tone and clarity of the letter as much as from the content and frankly, although the message in the e-mail is spot on in my opinion, the presentation does detract from it somewhat.

Also, I notice you said the e-mail was produced by your mods and looking at the list above, I suppose I'm guaranteed to have pissed off at least one person on here with these comments since your mods are almost exclusively posters on this site. Sorry about that but I'm honestly not posting this as an exercise in cheap point-scoring - the subject is far too important for that; also after ten hours at work today, I have better ways of spending my spare time than trolling well-intentioned fans.

I notice that Woo is on your list of mods. Given the quality of his writing in the mag, I find it difficult to believe that he signed off on that e-mail and he would have been one of the first people I'd have thought of approaching to write it, or check it. There are also several other regular contributors to the mag, all of whom write in a pleasing and direct style. On top of that, we have on the site an English teacher with a Masters degree (Paul) and although I wouldn't dream of volunteering his no doubt scant spare time to be involved with creating something like this, I'm sure he would have been able to find the five minutes it would take to proof read the already prepared e-mail and make suitable corrections.

Although there are people far better qualified than me at this kind of thing, I'd also be perfectly happy to do it myself - you're more than welcome to PM me any time to cast my eye over something you've put together. I hope you don't think I'm being presumptuous here - as I said, on a site filled with writers I don't pretend to be the best candidate but I think I could do a job if required.

You've come up with some good ideas over the months Simon and I'm not trying to detract from the work you've done here in any way - you've definitely committed more time than I have to taking action against the owners and I salute you for it. All I'm saying is that for the sake of a very small amount of additional work, the end product of the effort you've put into this could have been a little more polished and perhaps created a better impression when it hit the in-box.

I'm not taking the piss at all and I hope you realise that. I trust that you (and anyone else connected to this) take my observations in the positive spirit in which they are offered.

Finally and most importantly, well done to all concerned.

Guest simon
Just a point for you Simon:

I have no idea if odris's intention was to take the piss or not but his point is valid.

The intention of the e-mail is that it be sent to RBS executives, MPs, all manner of news outlets and other people in positions of influence. In my job, I deal with correspondence all day, including letters from MPs, senior staff in financial institutions and so on (although regrettably I don't maintain personal contacts in such a way as to be able to bring any pressure to bear for this campaign) so I think I'm reasonably qualified to comment on this.

Some of the letters I receive (and indeed some of those produced by my colleagues) are filled with clumsy grammar, random capitalisation and other assorted errors and whilst that doesn't impact at all on the professionalism I demonstrate when replying to them, they are certainly a source of some amusement in the office.

When communicating in writing, you tend to form an impression of the sender (however accurate it may be) from the tone and clarity of the letter as much as from the content and frankly, although the message in the e-mail is spot on in my opinion, the presentation does detract from it somewhat.

Also, I notice you said the e-mail was produced by your mods and looking at the list above, I suppose I'm guaranteed to have pissed off at least one person on here with these comments since your mods are almost exclusively posters on this site. Sorry about that but I'm honestly not posting this as an exercise in cheap point-scoring - the subject is far too important for that; also after ten hours at work today, I have better ways of spending my spare time than trolling well-intentioned fans.

I notice that Woo is on your list of mods. Given the quality of his writing in the mag, I find it difficult to believe that he signed off on that e-mail and he would have been one of the first people I'd have thought of approaching to write it, or check it. There are also several other regular contributors to the mag, all of whom write in a pleasing and direct style. On top of that, we have on the site an English teacher with a Masters degree (Paul) and although I wouldn't dream of volunteering his no doubt scant spare time to be involved with creating something like this, I'm sure he would have been able to find the five minutes it would take to proof read the already prepared e-mail and make suitable corrections.

Although there are people far better qualified than me at this kind of thing, I'd also be perfectly happy to do it myself - you're more than welcome to PM me any time to cast my eye over something you've put together. I hope you don't think I'm being presumptuous here - as I said, on a site filled with writers I don't pretend to be the best candidate but I think I could do a job if required.

You've come up with some good ideas over the months Simon and I'm not trying to detract from the work you've done here in any way - you've definitely committed more time than I have to taking action against the owners and I salute you for it. All I'm saying is that for the sake of a very small amount of additional work, the end product of the effort you've put into this could have been a little more polished and perhaps created a better impression when it hit the in-box.

I'm not taking the piss at all and I hope you realise that. I trust that you (and anyone else connected to this) take my observations in the positive spirit in which they are offered.

Finally and most importantly, well done to all concerned.

It was based at everything i post in genral. If you look at it i did say edit what you like. Thanks for your words i very much appreciate it.

It was based at everything i post in genral. If you look at it i did say edit what you like. Thanks for your words i very much appreciate it.

Fair play Simon, you did. I'm glad you took what I had to say in the spirit it was intended.

I forgot to include it in my last post but here's the one I sent - probably not perfect but I thought it was OK for a quickly tweaked version. It's at least 90% your original content anyway, so as I said it's a job well done.

Dear Mr Hester,

Having reviewed the company accounts of Liverpool Football Club and the parent company Kop Football Limited, which show a current debt of approximately £237M, it is clear that the business model operated by the current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett is unsustainable.

Whilst I appreciate that any refinancing package is a confidential matter between the Royal Bank of Scotland and the current owners of Liverpool Football Club, it is also a very personal issue for many Liverpool supporters in the UK and around the world. As a UK taxpayer and a lifelong Liverpool FC fan, I can assure you I am unhappy that my hard-earned money is being used to pay for the purchase of Liverpool Football Club by George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

There is an ever increasing sense of anger and resentment towards Tom Hicks and George Gillett, which is likely to turn towards RBS if the refinancing deal is approved in the coming months.

It is my understanding that if the present deal is renegotiated beyond July 2010, then a campaign of protest against the Royal Bank of Scotland will take place which will include billboards with anti-RBS messages, encouraging Liverpool fans to boycott RBS in a similar manner to the boycott of the Sun newspaper.

In case you are not familiar with it, information about the campaign against the Sun newspaper (which has been ongoing for over twenty years and is directly responsible for a dramatic and irrecoverable loss of sales in the Merseyside area) is linked below. I have also provided a link to information about the current billboard campaign being organised against the club’s owners by the Liverpool supporters union, Spirit of Shankly.

Anfield Road » Don’t buy The Sun

Debt Lies Cowboys – Spirit Of Shankly – Liverpool Supporters' Union

If your objective is "the long-term success of Liverpool Football Club" then I urge you to refuse any longer term refinancing for Hicks and Gillett and require that the current obligations are immediately repaid. As things stand, the supporters of Liverpool Football Club are effectively paying the loan repayments for Hicks and Gillett and this is a situation which we are no longer prepared to accept.

Since we, as taxpayers, have a "controlling stake" in RBS, in addition to the emotional investment in the football club which binds us together as fans, we think it is reasonable that you take account of our views; also you should consider the possibly detrimental effect on your business of continued association with these individuals. As the Spirit of Shankly’s campaign makes clear, they are neither wanted, nor welcome at Liverpool Football Club.

The ball is firmly in your court.

Respectfully yours,

Will just say on the original draft of the e-mail that if you are going to threaten a boycott, billboards etc then you have to be able to have that set up and backed up to be able to actually make it happen if needed. Otherwise if you it can't be backed up and they do refinance and there is no boycott or billboard campaign then it will seriously lessen any effect of any such targeted campaign against RBS in the future because they wont believe any threats.

Guest simon
Just one problem Simon, All he Journalists will be getting this e-mail countless times, I think it may piss them off if there getting there inbox blocked up.

Otherwise well done.

I see what your saying mate but its making a statement.

Simon will be furious as cancer when he finds out Maddock is claiming it to be SOS...

I can imagine him having arranged a normal personal loan at 8% per annum to finish his catering course then charging down the bank & demanding that they cut it off so he can borrow it from his Gypo mates at 100% per week instead.

Simon will be furious as cancer when he finds out Maddock is claiming it to be SOS...

Especially as the SOS comittee members on this thread have done little to encourage it.

Good effort Si.

Though I have to say I don't buy all this stuff about us having a say because RBS is tax payer backed.

what do you expect when you put a picture of an SOS billboard in the email and no contact details for who is organising the campaign?

You should have put contact details in the email for the people running the campaign so they can be contacted for comment by the journalists on the email.

Ans contrary to David Maddock, the Union haven't claimed to be behind this at all, he has assumed it because there is no contact details of campaign leaders on the email and a link to one of our previous campaigns.

Don't let that put you off having a go at SOS though.

Also, have you got contact details for whoever is running the campaign so that when media ask for comments from SOS we can point them in the right direction.

Edited by FranStan