You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Audio books.

Anny Road

"Audible doing a offer of three credits for £18 at the moment so with that and my two credits I have picked up a couple of interesting books latley.

The Second World War books 1&2 by Anthony Beever

Panzer Commander: The memories of Colonel Hans Von Luck by Stephen Ambrose (band of brothers) and Hans Von Luck

Irish Thunder: Life of Micky Ward

American Desperado- My life as a Cocaine Cowboy

Jon Roberts

My friend the mercenary

James Brabazon

All are pretty good if you are interested in said subjects.

Been looking at the cartels on Wikipedia this morning and some interesting stuff involving money laundering, the CIA, Putin etc."

I was going to pick up the Anthony Beever book as I loved Stalingrad and Berlin, let us know what it's like when you're finished?

I have finished part 1 and its details everything well. Pretty in depth and well worth listening too. I need to listen again thoughso everything sinks in.

I listened to the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich last year, that was heavy going but excellent, I will definitely pick up Anthony Beever next month, thanks!

Since our girl was born, it meant dark bedroom for a about 4 months which meant my main readng time was robbed from me. 

I've therefore been getting through probably a book a week in audio format. 

The very best ones have been:

Shantaram - possibly my all time favourite book anyway, but they've realy done it justice with the narration, accents, voices etc. This is what usually lets most ABs down

Steven Fry's Autobiography - read my the man himself. nuff said. 

Alan Partridge - read by Partidge: Funniest book ever. Fact.

One Summer - Bill Bryson. 

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson (one of my all time fave books)

• Upvote 1

Since our girl was born, it meant dark bedroom for a about 4 months which meant my main readng time was robbed from me. 

I've therefore been getting through probably a book a week in audio format. 

The very best ones have been:

Shantaram - possibly my all time favourite book anyway, but they've realy done it justice with the narration, accents, voices etc. This is what usually lets most ABs down

Steven Fry's Autobiography - read my the man himself. nuff said. 

Alan Partridge - read by Partidge: Funniest book ever. Fact.

One Summer - Bill Bryson. 

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson (one of my all time fave books)

I've listened to the last three, all superb! The best one this year for me was The Free by Willy Vlautin, it's a really simple story (all his books are), read by the author.

I got an audio book about roswell aliens. Its genius, if I'm struggling to sleep I put it on and I'm asleep in less than 5 minutes guaranteed. I don't know if its the subject matter or the narrators voice. Its my go to sleep device now though.

I loved pulp physics by dr richard berendzen, the narrator is a wee bit monotone but I love the book he goes through the planets one by one and what its like on their surface and he goes through the age of science. Its just a great science audiobook.

World war Z... Good

Red dwarf.. Chris Barry does a top job of all the casts voices but i wouldn't pay for it of you've seen the series.

Andrew marr history of the world, you get your money's worth if its a free token and you love history. Shame its andrew marr.

I'm a big terry pratchett fan so anything by him is ace on audiobook.

There's shitloads really. There's been times I've had free tokens thought ill download a book, spent two hours looking for a book then fell asleep before I could pick one.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...
15 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

What's the best audio books app? I was about to sign up for Audible but from what I can gather I pay my 8 quid a month then I pay for books as well? I'm driving all day nowadays. I want to listen to a fuckload of books. Looks like that'll cost me a fortune. 

You pay your money and get one credit per month for that, which is decent enough. You just pay for any "extra" books you might want. I got tempted back with a £1 per month for three months offer recently, so will jib it after three months and wait for the next offer. 

Currently listening to "Quiet Genius" by Ian Herbert and still getting through the mammoth "All These Years (The Beatles Tune in)" by Mark Lewisohn, from the last time i had credits. I tend to listen to them only when i am walking the dogs so probably about 45 mins a day, so the one credit per month works for me.  

12 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

https://www.myanonamouse.net/inviteapp.php

This site is an excellent source, but it only accepts new members at certain times.

But it's well worth it.

This one is okay:

https://thepirate-bay.org/en/

There are all sorts of podcasts out there for free, as well.

Been meaning to join this for an age decided to take a look and they were accepting today. Some quick questions about the rules to make sure i understood them and sorted.

Thanks for the reminder.

21 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

What's the best audio books app? I was about to sign up for Audible but from what I can gather I pay my 8 quid a month then I pay for books as well? I'm driving all day nowadays. I want to listen to a fuckload of books. Looks like that'll cost me a fortune. 

£8 a months gets you one credit for one book

You also get the whole Amazon plus catalogue of books as part of the subscription

Additional credits can be bought in blocks of 3 for £18

There is often a £3 sale on these days but its books on the sale list#

I think its great myself

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 21:35, Lee909 said:
On 20/09/2022 at 23:52, Redder Lurtz said:

Read more  

You also get the whole Amazon plus catalogue of books as part of the subscription

What, like thousands of books then?

2 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

What, like thousands of books then?

The Audible plus is whatever books they have on there at the moment, not  sure on the amount but seems quiet a few. 

This is what they say

We created the Plus Catalogue to give Audible members more of what they love and more to discover. It offers thousands of titles you can stream or download to listen offline, no credits needed. Included with membership, the Plus Catalog contains select Audible Originals, podcasts and audiobooks.

I like the history lectures they have on there, i had bought a few before but found many of them have been added. 

Ypu should be able to get a month free to check it out and im pretty sure next month that the black friday deals and sales will be on there