You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone want to see Lucas go?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone want to see Lucas go?

• Yes, for a small profit.
    • No, he has potentail to make it.
    • Sitting on the fence.

Oh yes I think Benitez will want to keep him, as he's good back up.

However the fans are already not fully convinced by him. Some might have already written him off, it seems. If he doesn't perform now he's given a run, in his favourite position / role, surrounded by top quality in Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres... then I fear the fans might well have had enough of him. Given Lucas has said that he wants more games, Benitez might have to sell, due to pressure and the fact he can't promise Lucas more games.

However all the above will be irrelevant if he performs as we hope he will.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt be arsed reading the whole article on the Offal, but there is one where Benitez is saying that Lucas has been the best player in pre-season.

Anyway, the line that caught my attention from the bit i did read was this...

"He knows Aquilani will need time. When we decided to bring in Aquilani we knew he would be out for one month or so, so we analysed the squad and we think that with Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard and Plessis we have enough."

what does this statement mean for Spearing? I know this is Lucas's thread, but fuck him, if he cant handle a little bit of competition for places, there is no place for him in this thread in my opinion.

Anyway, Spearin appears to me to be miles better than plessis, yet doesnt warrant a mention. Cant be too happy with that.

"He knows Aquilani will need time. When we decided to bring in Aquilani we knew he would be out for one month or so, so we analysed the squad and we think that with Mascherano, Lucas, Gerrard and Plessis we have enough."

what does this statement mean for Spearing? I know this is Lucas's thread, but fuck him, if he cant handle a little bit of competition for places, there is no place for him in this thread in my opinion.

Anyway, Spearin appears to me to be miles better than plessis, yet doesnt warrant a mention. Cant be too happy with that.

Going by yesterdays game Spearing appears to be ahead of Plessis in the pecking order, well deserved too imho. This quote however suggests otherwise. I don't know what to make of it.

Regarding Plessis it has struck me as a bit odd that in the preseason games he's played in the "Alonso" role while Spearing has been used mainly as the holding midfielder.

Going by yesterdays game Spearing appears to be ahead of Plessis in the pecking order, well deserved too imho. This quote however suggests otherwise. I don't know what to make of it.

Regarding Plessis it has struck me as a bit odd that in the preseason games he's played in the "Alonso" role while Spearing has been used mainly as the holding midfielder.

Not sure on the terminology but Plessis is the ultimate holding midfielder. I don't think I've ever seen him leave his own half in open play.

I couldnt be arsed reading the whole article on the Offal, but there is one where Benitez is saying that Lucas has been the best player in pre-season.

I'm not a massive fan of Spearing, but have felt a bit sorry for him in recent games. A subbed sub against Espanyol where the game passed him by, did he touch the ball yesterday?

To progress, Spearing really has to stand out, force Rafa's hand; unfortunately he's looked fairly ordinary; for me, Pacheco and Nemeth look far more promising, but, both need to go on loan, to beef them up .. :whistle:

• 2 years later...