You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loans are much more efficient, depending on the bank, but you could be talking about a difference of about 5% on the interest rate.

I would expect that CL payments are made in Euro and Premiership money paid in GBP. The CHF argument is negligable as its Sterling that is currently moving, so regardless of whether its CHF or Euro fx would have an impact. Beside, I would be very surprised if CHF was used.

Uefa accounts in CHF.

It appears that the central fund prize money is paid in EUR

From Wiki,

"UEFA awards €3 million to each team that qualifies for the UEFA Champions League, plus €2.4 million for participating in the Group stage. A Group stage win is worth €600,000 and a draw is worth €300,000.

In addition, UEFA pays each quarter finalist €2.5 million, €3 million for each semi-finalist, €4 million for the runners-up and €7 million for the winners"

However the main part is re-distribution of your country's TV rights

That could be contracted in either GBP or EUR.

It makes more sense for the clubs & TV companies to do it in GBP as it matches their revenue/costs; It makes more sense for Uefa in EUR..

I have no idea which.

If it is in EUr, we benefit & the TV companies have lost unless they hedged.

We also may well have hedged the expected part of the revenue back into GBP as our costs are in GBP.

Although i think Parry's incompetence has probably helped us here as i doubt he even thought of it.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also have undoubtedly the best central midfielder in the world in Gerrard. Would you play Torres as right abck if he was goof there? Pepe's a good CM but you wouldn't choose to play him there.

Bit of an over exaggeration, but I know what you're saying.

But Gerrard is good enough to play anywhere in the front 6, without (too much) detriment to the rest of the team.

TBH, I reckon Gerrard to the right to accommodate Villa would do more good than bad.

Edit: It's not an exaggeration that Gerrard is the best midfielder, but the whole Torres to fullback thing. Maybe exaggeration's the wrong word, but I can't think of another one!

Bit of an over exaggeration, but I know what you're saying.

But Gerrard is good enough to play anywhere in the front 6, without (too much) detriment to the rest of the team.

TBH, I reckon Gerrard to the right to accommodate Villa would do more good than bad.

why move your best player to accomodate someone else though?

We need another striker granted, but we need one who's prepared to spend a fair bit of time on the bench. Otherwise, we have to change our whole system to accomodate them, which as has been proven with the Keane signing is a tad risky to say the least.

Our priority is a decent right winger. It has been for 10 fucking years.

We need both. In no particular order. We need a top quality striker as much as we need a right sided midfielder.

If the striker is good enough, he doesn't have to spend too much time on the bench. And good strikers can always get used to the new system.

I understand Villa can play on the right side as well as behind the striker as well as upfront in 4-4-2. I think he could be a fantastic signing. Nando may need time to get used to it but I think they will form a great partnership together.

Uefa accounts in CHF.

It appears that the central fund prize money is paid in EUR

From Wiki,

"UEFA awards €3 million to each team that qualifies for the UEFA Champions League, plus €2.4 million for participating in the Group stage. A Group stage win is worth €600,000 and a draw is worth €300,000.

In addition, UEFA pays each quarter finalist €2.5 million, €3 million for each semi-finalist, €4 million for the runners-up and €7 million for the winners"

However the main part is re-distribution of your country's TV rights

That could be contracted in either GBP or EUR.

It makes more sense for the clubs & TV companies to do it in GBP as it matches their revenue/costs; It makes more sense for Uefa in EUR..

I have no idea which.

If it is in EUr, we benefit & the TV companies have lost unless they hedged.

We also may well have hedged the expected part of the revenue back into GBP as our costs are in GBP.

Although i think Parry's incompetence has probably helped us here as i doubt he even thought of it.

So CL in Euro. Premiership is in GBP; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6273617.stm.

Maybe Alonso would be part of the deal?

If he went for Villa, I think he'd go for Barry, too, and play 4-3-3.

I can see that too, would hate to lose xabi though.

However i have said before that even though xabi is up there for player of the year and it is one of our best ever starts is having a deep lying player with not much goal threat enough to win the title especially when paired with someone like masch.

In my heart I would love to sign villa because he is a big name but my head says are we yet again tinkering with the gerrard/torres partnership and can Torres actually play with a partner?

If true i can see Villa, Srna and Barry in with a fair few out!

Apparently the cl is worth even more to the winner this year, i hope it doesn't mean sacrificing the league

I can see that too, would hate to lose xabi though.

However i have said before that even though xabi is up there for player of the year and it is one of our best ever starts is having a deep lying player with not much goal threat enough to win the title especially when paired with someone like masch.

In my heart I would love to sign villa because he is a big name but my head says are we yet again tinkering with the gerrard/torres partnership and can Torres actually play with a partner?

If true i can see Villa, Srna and Barry in with a fair few out!

Apparently the cl is worth even more to the winner this year, i hope it doesn't mean sacrificing the league

4-3-3 with who else coming in as the other striker/forward?

Srna?

seems a bit mad to get Villa in but not try Stevie on the right in a 4-4-2 when keane was here?

Villa and Torres combine well for Spain but in a 4-4-2

maybe he is looking for:

------Villa------Torres

----------Gerrard

Barry--------------?????

---------Mascher

in which case we would still need a top class right winger to come in as well as Barry

confusing....