You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RedKnight

My downloading speed on utorrent is currently around 5kb/s. It's usually around 200.

I've changed nothing and yet it has been shit for days. Every now and then i get an exclaimation mark saying "no incomming connections" on it, but even when theres a green tick giving it the a-ok the speeds are wank.

Doing my fucking head in.

My downloading speed on utorrent is currently around 5kb/s. It's usually around 200.

I've changed nothing and yet it has been shit for days. Every now and then i get an exclaimation mark saying "no incomming connections" on it, but even when theres a green tick giving it the a-ok the speeds are wank.

You are ignoring what i told you then. When downloading a torrent look for the most seeder's and less leachers.

You are ignoring what i told you then. When downloading a torrent look for the most seeder's and less leachers.

I'm downloading scrubs. I have 22 seeds out of a possible 20 off thousand and am only uploading at 0.1 to like 3 people.

Think it's just shitty fucking BT Internet because i downloaded scubs last week with similar numbers of seeds/leechers and it was going at 100 odd not 2.3 as it is now.

Fuck off BT.

Another misconception, leechers (wrongly labelled in my opinion) can contribute significantly to download speeds as well as seeders. The only difference is that to get the final complete file, having at least 1 seeder is almost certainly required. Seeders who restrict their upload are actually worse (in terms of contributing to your download) than leechers who don't with the same permissible upload speeds. Once again, the main distinction between seeders and leechers is that seeders have the complete file, while leechers do not.

How do I turn the sharing bit off then?

BitTorrent as a technology isn't illegal.

But its such a good idea, that its become the main way for people to share illegal content. And because you have to upload to be able to download (the more bandwidth you give your torrent client, the faster you will be able to download) that its perfectly suited to sharing illegal stuff very quickly.

And a direct answer to your question is: if you disable uploading, you won't be able to download. Its part of the BitTorrent protocol and I have to admit its a clever technology.

I vote for Transmission. It's a tiny app and works supoibly. You do need a Mac though.

Am I right in saying that if you move the files out of the 'sharing' folder then nobody can get it from you. I know that's against the spirit of the thing but it would answer Carra's question.

Download legal content - find content on PC - move content to a personal folder.

I vote for Transmission. It's a tiny app and works supoibly. You do need a Mac though.

Am I right in saying that if you move the files out of the 'sharing' folder then nobody can get it from you. I know that's against the spirit of the thing but it would answer Carra's question.

Download legal content - find content on PC - move content to a personal folder.

As soon as you remove the torrent from your 'active' list, nobody can download the files from you (i.e with you uploading them), even if they are in the same folder as you downloaded to.

As soon as you remove the torrent from your 'active' list, nobody can download the files from you (i.e with you uploading them), even if they are in the same folder as you downloaded to.

Wiiksie knows!

Once you have downloaded the file, click the 'Completed' tab, and right click the folder and click 'Remove'. Be careful not to click 'Remove Torrent & Data' though.

Wiiksie knows!

Once you have downloaded the file, click the 'Completed' tab, and right click the folder and click 'Remove'. Be careful not to click 'Remove Torrent & Data' though.

or just highlight it in the list and press delete. I normally leave a torrent overnight and remove it in the morning. I don't have a particularly generous uploading speed so I have to remove them. I normally share the same amount as i receive though.

Bit late. But have you a download limit? If you have gone over it your ISP could be restricting your speed.

Torrents are great.

Wiiksie knows!

Or just press 'Stop'.

Never bother seeding anything i download form a public tracker.

Torrents are great. I've been downloading all of Liverpool's games this season. But found i had mistakenly deleted our opener against Sunderland, the panic started to set in thinking i'd never be able to download it again, thinking it was too late, there'd be no-one still seeding that i thought, my collection ruined, but alas, there it was on BTJunkie still with 2 seeders. Bliss!!