You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This is fucking ridiculous. He was offered to Juventus for around 14, now after a brilliant start to the season for the bearded one, Arsenal will put foward only 12??? The only reason I bothered to click on that link was that I was curious what his media 'value' would now be after a great start, but now I can see it's a fucking joke. If Rafa were to rid the Reds of Xabi, he should follow him straight out the door. And I love Rafa.

This is fucking ridiculous. He was offered to Juventus for around 14, now after a brilliant start to the season for the bearded one, Arsenal will put foward only 12??? The only reason I bothered to click on that link was that I was curious what his media 'value' would now be after a great start, but now I can see it's a fucking joke. If Rafa were to rid the Reds of Xabi, he should follow him straight out the door. And I love Rafa.

I'd be extremely surprised if Rafa wanted to sell after the season Alonso has had thus far but you never know I suppose.

With what are they going to make a bid for him with?

They (very sensibly, especially in contrast to us over-paying 4 Keane) reined in all spending in the summer in response to the economic situation & most especially their Highbury development.

Since then things have got a lot worse & we can practically guarantee that no further flats have been sold.

They aren't going to be spending any cash in the window

Lazy,lazy journalism

Edited by Catch22

I'd be extremely surprised if Rafa wanted to sell after the season Alonso has had thus far but you never know I suppose.

It could depend on how badly Rafa does/did want Barry, but you'd hope that now with the midfield operating better as a whole with Riera in the mix, this is all now an irrelevant discussion.

I'm ssure Wenger is interested but unless Rafa HAS to sell for the owners, it'd be mad tto move on a rejuvenated player who has been integral to our success this season. With Barry available for 10m or less in the summer we can add Barry to Xabi and not instead of.

I thought Arsenal had a fair bit of wedge?

No they have a massive wage bill which has to be paid until the contracts expire.

They still have not completed on most of the Highbury flats (although sensibly took 20% deposits but Ldn new-build flats are quite possibly down by more than that now anyway) & haven't even got reservations for a few.

On top of that, they are the closest main ground to the City & therefore have far more corporate tickets than anyone else

They are not in trouble but are very well run (where's our 60k stadium?) & prudently cut back in the summer

They will not be spending any money in the window

Like many, I too wouldn't be suprised if Rafa sold Alonso, even after the season he has had so far. I certainly was one of those who believed Barry would be a better option than Xabi.

But Xabi has been priceless this season, a top performer and he has really kept his head down.

Player of the season IMHO. It would be madness to sell him, and how come he is now worth less than at the start of the season?

As Ian says it's re-assuring Nixon is writing this. He's the footballing equivalent of a blind man with a gun, fire enough shots and you will eventually hit something.

I'd have sold him in the summer.

However, he's got back to his best and has been our best player this season. Villa still want £18m for Barry? Fine, we'll have £25m for Xabi then.

O'Neill is more mental that I thought.

On another note, I read the other day that Steve Bruce wants £10m for Heskey. World is truly going fucking mad.

Player of the season IMHO. It would be madness to sell him, and how come he is now worth less than at the start of the season?

As Ian says it's re-assuring Nixon is writing this. He's the footballing equivalent of a blind man with a gun, fire enough shots and you will eventually hit something.

The Count concurs. On all counts.

No chance in hell of this happening.

Some people seem to be a bit pessimistic about Rafa regarding this?

Theres no way Rafa would sanction this. Even if he still really wanted Barry in place of Xabi theres just no chance he'd let him go to Arsenal, let alone for 12 million.

What a ridiculous, London press "let's unsettle Liverpools season MVP so far, they're still bloody top" story, or non-story in fact.