You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mav was right all along

Michael Howard

My good friend Mav (whom I haven't seen for ages and am seriously overdue a pint and some scoff with) always refused to get public transport on the basis that "he didn't travel with the great unwashed".

Now it appears he was right all along . . . . . . .

(From BBC News)

"More than one in four commuters has bacteria from faeces on their hands, an investigation suggests.

Scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine swabbed 409 people at bus and train stations in five major cities in England and Wales.

The further north they went, the more often they found commuters with faecal bacteria on their hands - men in Newcastle were the worst offenders.

Experts stressed the importance of hand hygiene for preventing illness.

The bacteria found suggested people were not washing their hands properly after using the toilet, said the researchers.

In Newcastle and Liverpool, men were more likely than women to show contamination - 53% of men compared with 30% of women in Newcastle and 36% of men compared with 31% of women in Liverpool. We were flabbergasted by the finding that so many people had faecal bugs on their hands

Dr Val Curtis, director of the Hygiene Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

In the other three cities - London, Cardiff and Birmingham - the women's hands were dirtier.

People who had used the bus had higher rates of hand contamination than those who had used the train.

Manual workers had cleaner hands than other professionals, students, retired people or the unemployed.

BBC NEWS | Health | Faecal bacteria join the commute

Dirty bastards . . . . . .

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Heard somewhere that it takes 10 sheets of ars roll to stop feacal bacteria getting through to your digits, after hearing that i now use the shit-glove technique for wipies.

What about those dirty bastard car drivers who stick a finger up their hoop and can't resist a little sniff afterwards? We all know one. A little balance and perspective would be nice.

what, people dont know how to wash thier hands after wiping?

whilst seeing the bum finger sniffing.... my ex i will name and shame, smiler (on here) was once sat in the cinema with me, my cousin and his girl friend, waitin ages for the film to start he makes a call on his mobile, totally oblivious, myself, cousin and said g/f. anyway, he got so settled in he started finger clearing with his belly button, then went on to sniff said finger.

what, people dont know how to wash thier hands after wiping?

whilst seeing the bum finger sniffing.... my ex i will name and shame, smiler (on here) was once sat in the cinema with me, my cousin and his girl friend, waitin ages for the film to start he makes a call on his mobile, totally oblivious, myself, cousin and said g/f. anyway, he got so settled in he started finger clearing with his belly button, then went on to sniff said finger.

We've all got high on belly button fluff at some stage...right??? ....Right???

I hate myself

Ah bollocks. I've been signed off work for four weeks and was going to go on random trips but due to my wrist being completely fucked I can't change gear, hence I can't drive, so I'd have to take Public Transport.

After reading this I'm going to just stay in for four weeks and become a hermit.

Buses are grim fucking places. Full of grimy, shitty people with smeg and shit on their hands which gets wiped all over the seats and hand rails. I'd have to wash my hands immediately if I ever went anywhere on a bus. Which is highly fucking unlikely to happen, I might add.

I love all these superior sounding people who never have to use public transport.

Must be fascinating delving into the world of us ordinary plebs who dont have much choice but to use the shitty UK public transport network.

(By the way, that was partly sarcastic. Probably didnt need to explain that - depends who's reading I suppose. If its someone who's brain has been replaced by too much *F, then I would have to. If its a GF'er, then I wouldnt)