You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Garry Barry

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Do tell.

Injuries and being in and out of the team being the main ones. I think it's telling that towards the end of the season, as he was gaining fitness/sharpness/ Xabi was playing well. He was fantastic against Chelsea in the CL I thought, for instance.

P.S. Hope you fuck Romania today seeing as I have a few Italians in my fantasy team!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the article - I think it's difficult to know if the information is entirely accurate, seeing as Prentice won't have as reliable sources as Barrett does. If it is accurate though, then i'm far from displeased.

Fuck Barry off, keep Xabi and start looking at other players.

Injuries and being in and out of the team being the main ones. I think it's telling that towards the end of the season, as he was gaining fitness/sharpness/ Xabi was playing well. He was fantastic against Chelsea in the CL I thought, for instance.

P.S. Hope you fuck Romania today seeing as I have a few Italians in my fantasy team!

Is snez italian?

Hmm i know what your saying. It's a fucking messy and debatable transfer this Barry for Alonso shit. It wouldn't be bad if we we're at least going to break even but if we're not i'm begining to hope Rafa says "fuck it" and goes for someone else. Xabi's not been shite, you are right there but he's not been at his best either and i feel he really struggles in the biggest games against the best sides.

Either way people will debate all day over who they'd rather have and both sides have valid points, i just wish it'd get sorted asap because again this whole thing is making us look like a bunch of fuckin amatuers.

We know we have a £10 million sale in Crouch as Redknapp admitted he would pay that.

Hopefully Riise will accept Roma's offer so that another £4 million there.

Carson, Pennant, Guthrie and Voronin are others who can be sold.

Pretty conservative with the prices but if for example we say -

Carson - £6 million

Pennant - £5.5 million

Guthrie - £2.5 million

Voronin - £2 million

Thats £30 million there without even needing to sell Alonso.

If you were to minus the £6 million for Dossena that still leaves £24 million and could we not spend the full remaining amount on David Villa.

Due to the Olympics Mascherano and Lucas are missing for the first couple of games but surely we could play Gerrard back there alongside Alonso for them couple of games with Villa just behind Torres and then when Mascherano and Lucas return Gerrard can go back behind Torres with Villa able to play in any of the other three forward positions.

This is one of the reason why dont believe we need to sell Alonso purely for financial reasons as i honestly think Rafa must feel Xabi is not able to play in the position he requires.

Obviously you can still do what ive put above but sell Alonso and pay that extra for Barry but that eats into the David Villa fund.

Hmm i know what your saying. It's a fucking messy and debatable transfer this Barry for Alonso shit. It wouldn't be bad if we we're at least going to break even but if we're not i'm begining to hope Rafa says "fuck it" and goes for someone else. Xabi's not been shite, you are right there but he's not been at his best either and i feel he really struggles in the biggest games against the best sides.

Either way people will debate all day over who they'd rather have and both sides have valid points, i just wish it'd get sorted asap because again this whole thing is making us look like a bunch of fuckin amatuers.

I like Barry and I think he's a really impressive player. I just don't see the point in 'swapping' him with Xabi. Alonso is already settled, he has a great relationship with the other players, has vast CL experience and is already settled.

Now I don't think that Barry is better than him, but to those who do I ask a genuine question - does Barry's ability outweigh those other factors?

I like Barry and I think he's a really impressive player. I just don't see the point in 'swapping' him with Xabi. Alonso is already settled, he has a great relationship with the other players, has vast CL experience and is already settled.

Now I don't think that Barry is better than him, but to those who do I ask a genuine question - does Barry's ability outweigh those other factors?

Barry isn't as good as Xabi. Far less talanted. However over the past 2 years his form has been better (especially for England, he's been their best player every time i see them) than Xabi's. I could understand Rafa making this move to generate funds if he was going to make a few million profit but to actually lose money on a deal like this would be shit business by anyone's standards. Xabi's younger and more talanted yet you just know we're going to be raped over the comparative prices we pay/recieve for them.

Barry is not as mobile as a midfielder such as Mascherano but he is more mobile then Alonso.

What i think from Rafa is that he doesnt see a midfielder who purely stays back spraying passes about.

Why not i dont know because we the full backs attacking and players such as Torres upfront you would think this kind of midfielder is needed but i think Rafa is wanting players who can move all around the midfield which isnt really Xabi's game.

Barry isn't as good as Xabi. Far less talanted. However over the past 2 years his form has been better (especially for England, he's been their best player every time i see them) than Xabi's. I could understand Rafa making this move to generate funds if he was going to make a few million profit but to actually lose money on a deal like this would be shit business by anyone's standards. Xabi's younger and more talanted yet you just know we're going to be raped over the comparative prices we pay/recieve for them.

I agree that Barry's form has been good over the last couple of years but i'd be really interested to see how we could cope with the higher expectations here. I've seen it a before where a player has performed really well for a club looking to challenge for Uefa places, then when it's the CL it's not as easy.

His form for England has been excellent though, that I do admit. He's really impressed me in those games.

The major difference is that Barry only has two years on his contract. They can play chicken until the end of August and the run the risk of getting 1/3 of the amount next year.

Which is why we should wait a year like the Mancs did with Hargreaves.

As for the article - I think it's difficult to know if the information is entirely accurate, seeing as Prentice won't have as reliable sources as Barrett does. If it is accurate though, then i'm far from displeased.

Fuck Barry off, keep Xabi and start looking at other players.

Fair do's Prentice is a waste of space (although I hope he's right this time).

The Italian papers are saying the Alonso deal is nearly done. 18 million euros.

Juve-Xabi Alonso, è quasi fatta - Calcio Mercato / Calcio - Corriere dello Sport.it

BBC website reports Villa now wanting £20m for Barry and Redknapp not wanting to pay £10m for Crouch after he said a few weeks ago that was the price!

Our financial plight is really kicking in and they're taking the piss out of us. So just another opportunity to say thank you to Moores, Parry, Hicks and Gillette. One day we'll pay these bastards back and boy will I enjoy that:telloff:

Predominantly against the likes of Isreal, Estonia, Austria, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago etc.

In all fairness Brownie mate i think Barry has been or at least one of the star performers in them games and players such as Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard have been pretty shit in them.

I think what Brownie has said earlier in the thread is correct though.

Brownie has not had a go at Barry and has posted that he thinks the lad is a good player but is he a step up from Alonso to allow Xabi to leave.

I personally think that whilst he is not as good a player as Alonso he does offer a more mobile midfield and although he is not in the Xabi class when it comes to passing he is more then capable of holding his own.

Predominantly against the likes of Isreal, Estonia, Austria, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago etc.

The quality of opposition is irrelevant. The pressure of playing for England comes from the expectations of the supporters and media, especially in a year they failed to qualify for a major championships.

In all fairness Brownie mate i think Barry has been or at least one of the star performers in them games and players such as Gerrard, Rooney and Lampard have been pretty shit in them.

I think what Brownie has said earlier in the thread is correct though.

Brownie has not had a go at Barry and has posted that he thinks the lad is a good player but is he a step up from Alonso to allow Xabi to leave.

I personally think that whilst he is not as good a player as Alonso he does offer a more mobile midfield and although he is not in the Xabi class when it comes to passing he is more then capable of holding his own.

I thought he looked good in those England games as well but IMO the pinnacle of football these days is the CL, which he hasn't played in yet.

He may prove to be fine in it but it's risky to let a player leave who already has experience in that competition and is settled. Add to the that the fact that he doesn't want to go and it doesn't add up to me.

I'm hoping Prentice's story is correct to be honest.