You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Otters

Remmie

10 minutes ago, mattyq said:

There's certainly the whiff of the inbred yokel about Southampton and its people.

I had the misfortune of living in Totton for a while and that was definitely Incester village.

Moved to Shirley which was much better 

Right, I know Totton only through working there now and again, know what you mean, I live in the town centre  not to far from Shirley but barely go up there now,as its changed a bit pub wise, when was you here and did you use any pubs? 

The real Southampton have that yokel touch but a lot like to give it a more London accent as they do in Portsmouth, London spreads a wide net, the further you go west the yokelness gets more evident, only as far as Salisbury etc

24 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Pompey was better but they were badly inbred, too

Paulsgrove and Buckland... fucking hell!

Paulsgrove is out of the city but yeah, there and Leigh Park are awful. 

Buckland is a proper toilet, as is Fratton really. North-End isn't too bad in certain parts. Southsea is beautiful. 

Portsmouth on the whole, the island etc is a wonderful place. 

12 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Skates, Fackin skates haha, when I hear them go on about it, it doos my ed in it doos though I think I've mentioned that before. Met some good lads from both, I don't get involved with that carry on though. 

"He's only a poor little scummer...." 

13 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Right, I know Totton only through working there now and again, know what you mean, I live in the town centre  not to far from Shirley but barely go up there now,as its changed a bit pub wise, when was you here and did you use any pubs? 

The real Southampton have that yokel touch but a lot like to give it a more London accent as they do in Portsmouth, London spreads a wide net, the further you go west the yokelness gets more evident, only as far as Salisbury etc

Was there late 90s and went to the Rising Sun, think it was called on the Shirley Rd. It's The Brass Monkey now, I believe. 

Drank mainly round Bedford Place and the Alexandra although think that was called something else at the time. Good times

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Paulsgrove is out of the city but yeah, there and Leigh Park are awful. 

Buckland is a proper toilet, as is Fratton really. North-End isn't too bad in certain parts. Southsea is beautiful. 

Portsmouth on the whole, the island etc is a wonderful place. 

I lived in North End for about a year and quite liked it. 

Lived in a proper dump just off Elm Grove in Southsea which was great

2 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Was there late 90s and went to the Rising Sun, think it was called on the Shirley Rd. It's The Brass Monkey now, I believe. 

Drank mainly round Bedford Place and the Alexandra although think that was called something else at the time. Good times

Yes it is   I go up Bedford Place now and again, I used to a lot at the time you mentioned. that's all changed too now as in not to many proper pubs as such, all got silly names and expensive, used to use the Pensioners, a liverpool fella had the Rover in Shirley about that time too, me and a few Liverpool lads watched 2005 European Cup Final there   great night. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some shit song Pompey sing about smashing a scummer with a brick. 

Matty I'm sure we had this same conversation pissed in the pub before Southampton away once. Or after. 

Right, where did you go when at Southampton game? It wasn't the Otter in Otterbourne? Wayne Bridges Dad drinks in there, he often comes in our alehouse. just up the road from here. 

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

I used to tune some Fijian bird who worked down that way. Fratton Rd?,, i used to jump off the bus at the Air Balloon and walk through, think it was the North End. 

Yeah Fratton Road runs from Fratton station right up through North-End. Great chippy up there in North End. 

• 1 year later...